[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Huddle Rankings - RB's

DMD

1. LaDainian Tomlinson

2. Shaun Alexander

3. Edgerrin James

4. Priest Holmes

Tier 2

5. Willis McGahee

6. Domanick Davis

7. Clinton Portis

8. Deuce McAllister

9. Corey Dillon

10. Tiki Barber

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised to see Lewis a no-show. I don't buy into the Tiki hype this year. I just don't trust Priest to stay healthy. There are some big difference in RB rankings this year.... interesting.

855750[/snapback]

I actually have Lewis 11th.

And there is bound to be some movement from the 5th on out as the summer progresses.

I like Deuce at #8. Other polls have had him ranked in the top five. I think that's too high. Remember he plays for Haslett!!! :D

855753[/snapback]

Haslett wants to run the ball more this year & picked up a pro-bowl right guard & a stud rookie RT. Not to mention a quicker passing attack which would also benefit Duece who is very good as a reciever. Just a homer's opinion maybe, but I do think he'll be top 5.

Haslett wants to run the ball more this year & picked up a pro-bowl right guard & a stud rookie RT. Not to mention a quicker passing attack which would also benefit Duece who is very good as a reciever. Just a homer's opinion maybe, but I do think he'll be top 5.

855773[/snapback]

I'd like to sneak in and draft Deuce without anyone noticing that please. :D

855773[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I'd read that elsewhere,. I'm just gunshy this year because I've had Deuce in past years, and the offensive scheme really didn't use him to his potential. Then I worry about his durability if he's taking more pounding. We'll wait and see!! :D

Thanks for the info. I'd read that elsewhere,. I'm just gunshy this year because I've had Deuce in past years, and the offensive scheme really didn't use him to his potential. Then I worry about his durability if he's taking more pounding. We'll wait and see!! :D

855839[/snapback]

For a little added info...Deuce shed some of his playing weight & has really been training hard this offseason. He blames the extra weight for him being a tad slow to the hole last year. Expect him to be a little quicker and stronger as well.

For a little added info...Deuce shed some of his playing weight & has really been training hard this offseason. He blames the extra weight for him being a tad slow to the hole last year. Expect him to be a little quicker and stronger as well.

855863[/snapback]

NICE!!!

I personally have him replacing Portis at #7, with Portis completely out of the top ten.

855820[/snapback]

ditto

855918[/snapback]

I am also not on the Portis bandwagon, and last year as well going into the season. I have yet to see anything from this guy that tells me he's a better tailback than, say, the immortal Reuben Droughns...

DMD, can you offer some insight as to why you expect this guy to produce top 10 #'s? That Washington offense was a complete wreck last year.

no love for julius from the cowboy homer dmd? i guess we can't accuse you of blind homerism. i think he has a decent chance to find the top 10. perhaps even a top 5 finish. to your credit....no list that i have seen has him ranked in the top 10. most lists he is between 12 and 15. my list is going to be crazy.

I am also not on the Portis bandwagon, and last year as well going into the season.  I have yet to see anything from this guy that tells me he's a better tailback than, say, the immortal Reuben Droughns...

DMD, can you offer some insight as to why you expect this guy to produce top 10 #'s?  That Washington offense was a complete wreck last year.

855967[/snapback]

I am not 100% settled on Portis placement, but for now I am comfortable with it. The Redskins were in the first year of installing a new offense in 2004 and it obviously went through some learning curves along the way. Washington was already messed up with the loss of Jansen right before the season started and the O-line took a while to get together.

This year RT Jansen is back and Samuels is still at LT. The Redskins brought in Casey Rabach at center from the Ravens which is an upgrade over Cory Raymer. The O-line should be much improved from what you saw in 2004.

When the offense works as it is designed (by Gibbs and Bugel), they want to feature a dominating ground game. Portis was hitting his stide better at the end of the season when in weeks 14 - 16 he had 338 yards rushing and three TDs while playing against NYG, PHI and SF (which represents another five games this year).

Portis is very fast and the field stretching of Santana Moss will help get Portis a lane or two as well in the secondary. Thing with Portis is that he is relatively small, but very fast. That means more very high and yet the occasional low game than most. He already had 4 games over 140 yards last year with the crappy version of the line.

Again, I am still trying to get a feel for what WAS will look like this year, but right now, that is where Portis falls.

Again, I am still trying to get a feel for what WAS will look like this year, but right now, that is where Portis falls.

856031[/snapback]

We ALL may have to wait a long time to get THAT feeling!!! :D:D

I am not 100% settled on Portis placement, but for now I am comfortable with it. The Redskins were in the first year of installing a new offense in 2004 and it obviously went through some learning curves along the way. Washington was already messed up with the loss of Jansen right before the season started and the O-line took a while to get together.

This year RT Jansen is back and Samuels is still at LT. The Redskins brought in Casey Rabach at center from the Ravens which is an upgrade over Cory Raymer. The O-line should be much improved from what you saw in 2004.

When the offense works as it is designed (by Gibbs and Bugel), they want to feature a dominating ground game. Portis was hitting his stide better at the end of the season when in weeks 14 - 16 he had 338 yards rushing and three TDs while playing against NYG, PHI and SF (which represents another five games this year).

Portis is very fast and the field stretching of Santana Moss will help get Portis a lane or two as well in the secondary. Thing with Portis is that he is relatively small, but very fast. That means more very high and yet the occasional low game than most. He already had 4 games over 140 yards last year with the crappy version of the line.

856031[/snapback]

I really think Portis will play much better this year than last. I think the majority of his problems last year, aside from Jansen getting hurt, were because of the crappy QB play. Near the end of last year they replaced the QB and he began preforming much better. I look for that to continue.

Anyone who compares Droughns to Portis have obviously not seen the two play. Portis is a much better back by far. He has power and speed, where Droughns only has some power.

Anyone who compares Droughns to Portis have obviously not seen the two play.  Portis is a much better back by far.  He has power and speed, where Droughns only has some power.

856040[/snapback]

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

What do all of these backs have in common? Maybe Portis is a better back. I'll bet on the Denver System over Portis' 'talent' 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

I don't think Priest will make it the year, and if he does, it is because he will be getting quite a few breathers from LJ. No way I'd pick him in the 4 spot. McGahee might be there, but if Henry isn't traded, McGahee's numbers will suffer. I like Lewis better than McAllister, Dillon and Portis. With some actual reciving threats, there will not be 8 men in the box nearly as much, and with football being the only thing occupying his mind, I would not be suprised if Lewis breaks 2000 this year. I'm also suprised your homer but didn't but Julius Jones at least at number 10. :D

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

What do all of these backs have in common?  Maybe Portis is a better back.  I'll bet on the Denver System over Portis' 'talent' 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

856075[/snapback]

I will be the first to agree that system, opportunity and situation are the biggest factors in a RB's success. No argument.

But within what each of you players did, there are some distinguishing characteristics.

In the two years that he played for DEN, Portis had more yards rushing and more yards receiving than any other of the three. He also had a higher yards per carry (5.5) and yards per catch (8.3 and 11) than any of the others. Gary only had 7 TDs and Droughns only had 8 TDs. Anderson did score 15, but Portis had 17 and 14.

The key there is that Portis had higher YPC and scored better than the others, and yet his number carries was almost always lower comparably.

There is a reason why none of those other three had more than one year playing as a primary. There is a reason why Portis had two straight years and then was traded off in a high profile trade. In talent levels, Portis is far beyond those guys. It is about opportunity and Portis will certainly get that in WAS as he did in DEN.

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Clinton Portis

Reuben Droughns

What do all of these backs have in common?  Maybe Portis is a better back.  I'll bet on the Denver System over Portis' 'talent' 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

856075[/snapback]

And after seeing all of them play, Portis is still by far the better back and may be the only Denver back that will excell this year.

I don't think Priest will make it the year, and if he does, it is because he will be getting quite a few breathers from LJ.  No way I'd pick him in the 4 spot.  McGahee might be there, but if Henry isn't traded, McGahee's numbers will suffer.  I like Lewis better than McAllister, Dillon and Portis.  With some actual reciving threats, there will not be 8 men in the box nearly as much, and with football being the only thing occupying his mind, I would not be suprised if Lewis breaks 2000 this year.  I'm also suprised your homer but didn't but Julius Jones at least at number 10. :D

856092[/snapback]

ranking holmes is a nightmare. He could easily be #1 by a very wide margin. He could get hurt in week 2 and be a flop. He could share some with LJ though I have some doubts about how much.

Bottom line - I had to rank him but honestly - not sure I would want to draft him unless he really fell. That's a very high pick for someone hard to rely on all year not to mention taking up the spot of an otherwise starter to grab LJ (like 6th round or you are playing game you cannot afford to lose). I hate bookend picks.