[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ty Law, this is your brain....

AP reports CB Ty Law -- still unsigned -- is continuing his job search. "I'm going to be the best cornerback in football this year," Law told SI.com's Peter King. "I'm just not sure where that's going to be yet." King reported that Law had just returned to his home in Aliquippa, Pa., after working out with the Jacksonville Jaguars. "I had a good workout in Jacksonville," he said. "They told me, 'Play corner,' and I went and did all the drills -- plant, cut, do every angle you can possibly do, sprint. I was fine. Now Miami wants me to come back and visit. But if you can't afford CB Patrick Surtain whom the Dolphins traded to Kansas City, how can you afford me? The Jets are interested. Kansas City called again. Tampa Bay faxed an offer. Indianapolis is in it. I got an offer, sight unseen for $2.5 million for one year. If I wasn't ready, I'd just take it. But I'm going to be ready to play and that's not the kind of contract I should get. Before they signed Surtain, the Chiefs gave me, like, a $42-million offer. But it was structured so bad that I'd probably only make $10 million before they'd cut me. So I didn't do it." King also reported that Law's recuperation has been delayed by the fact that he also had a ligament strain in his left foot in addition to the fracture. According to King, Law says the sprain went undiagnosed by the Patriots' medical staff. "If it had been diagnosed on time, I'd have been ready for someone's mini-camp," he said. "But now I'm about 85 percent and I know I'll be fine for training camp."

He's 32. He wants a HUGH signing bonus. He is nuts. what do you want to bet he signs with the Pats for less than what they offered him in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

He's going to end up with a one-year tender, a moderate signing bonus, and plenty of incentives. Teams are going to demand that he shows his health on the field and not in the newspapers before they sign him to a longer deal.

Anyone else wonder whether he'll end up in KC or Denver for a year?

I wonder if he'd do a deal that was something like:

1yr deal with a team option for an additional two.

Yr 1 = $2 million signing bonus and $1 million salary with big incentives for % of defensive snaps, interceptions, passes defended, Pro Bowl, etc.

2 Yr option = $8 million

Yr 2 = $1 million salary with the same sort of incentives, just at a lower $$ amount than in Yr 1

Yr 3 = $1.5 million salary with the same incentives as in Yr 2

...if healthy, he receives $10 million in "signing and option bonus," $3.5 million in salaries, plus (at least) several hundred thousand/a few million in performance bonuses...

...if not healthy, he receives $3-4 million for a single year...

Edited by muck

I don't think perfomance incentives are allowed in contracts, at least not INT's and such. They are permitted in trade clauses though, at least that's how I understand it. I think he'll be lucky to get a 1 mil bonus and 1 mil in slary, on a one year deal.

I don't think perfomance incentives are allowed in contracts, at least not INT's and such. They are permitted in trade clauses though, at least that's how I understand it. I think he'll be lucky to get a 1 mil bonus and 1 mil in slary, on a one year deal.

876934[/snapback]

So, are you telling me that RBs don't get bonuses for leading the NFL in rushing ... or getting more than 1600 yds on the ground ... or that Marvin Harrison didn't get a bonus the year he had 143 receptions ... or ...

Performance incentives are absolutely allowed, however, players would generally rather tie bonuses to offseason workouts, the number of snaps taken, or some other factor that's not tied to them actually producing.

No, I didn't state it as fact..... I don't pay that much attention to contracts, but I did think that I had read certain performace clauses aren't allowed.... key word, think, and "as I understand it". I thought things like pro bowl appearances and stuff like that were allowed, but I didn't think things like bonuses based on yardage were allowed. But, I'm not telling anyone anything.... I'm really not sure, as I said. That still remains my understanding, but I quite possibly could have that wrong.

Back on topic, I heard Law on ESPN radio yesterday. It seems it's between Jax and the Jets, with NE an unlikely third destination. KC just doesnt have the cap space, they have already maxed out on contract renogotiations, it seems. Law says he wants market value for a top CB, which means in the 6 mil/year range. NE won't go that high is the generally held belief. Then he went on to say he wants to win, and would take a little less money from a contender over a team that may struggle to win (make the playoffs?) .

While Jax may now have the money for him after losing Henry to the Titans, the RB situation there might scare Law off. As far as the Jets go, I don't see where they have the cap space, unless they can sign J Abraham to a cap firendly deal with a big up front bonus they can spread out. Right now, as a franchise tagged player, he's almost 7 mil against the cap this year. D Abraham's retirement only freed up a little more than a mil for this year.

Law said his signing could happen anywhere from late this week till the middle of camp. That's the latest scoop. It's beginning to look like he just might get that 6 mil he wants. As long as the Jets can sign Abraham first, and there isn't a long term cap nightmare involved, Law would really solidify the Jets defense, in the only area the defense is weak. Just might happen.....