[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fox Sports unveils new free fantasy football

BS Miscreant

Got an email this evening. Just checked it out. Looks pretty solid. Especially for those of you that are paying $130+ for your current service.

Fox Sports Fantasy Football

Of course it appears you'll have to actually set up a league to see if all the customizables are to your liking but hey, it's free.

Everyone and their mother are offering "free" fantasy football. Yahoo's had it for years, but now Fox and ESPN are in the "free" mix. Yahoo's been generally customizable from the get-go and remains my favorite for "free" services. I have played on ESPN (pay version), but found it pretty bad.

MyFantasyLeague.com is the way to go, regardless that it costs.

857918[/snapback]

As a commish of a league... I am soooo impressed with the changes they made for this year. I started exploring the new options yesterday, and they kick ass.

Just the ones I've found:

- The menu can now be on the side

- A built in WYSIWYG html editing applet for the Home Page messages.

- Easy to use multi-column pages.

I've just scratched the surface, but our league home page already looks 10 times better.

I run a free IDP league on Yahoo every year, and as a point of comparison, I just created an IDP league using the free Fox service. Some observations:

1. The scoring rules for IDPs are not as customizable as they are on Yahoo (e.g., Fox offers no separate scoring categories for assists, forced fumbles and passes defended).

2. The roster size limit on Fox is 23 (Yahoo limit is 25).

3. The Fox service offers free live scoring, which Yahoo does not.

4. I logged off the Fox site after setting everything up, and when I logged back on, it took awhile for me to find a link to the league (a minor point, but they need to tweak the service to make things easier to find).

Overall the Fox service looks pretty solid, and you gotta love the free live scoring. I'd be happier with it if they allowed larger rosters and had more options for IDP scoring, but I know these are not big concerns for most leagues.

MyFantasyLeague.com is the way to go, regardless that it costs.

857918[/snapback]

Ditto. This is by far the most superior service available.

Yea...

CBS Sportsline just announced they will be going free as well too be able to compete.

CBS Sportsline Fantasy

857946[/snapback]

Yes but that does not include their League Manager/Commissioner game. To run a league there it's still $130 with the early bird special.

I run a free IDP league on Yahoo every year, and as a point of comparison, I just created an IDP league using the free Fox service. 

858014[/snapback]

Can you break your league up into divisions or is like Yahoo in that regard?

Would anybody like to do a 12 team league??? Make it whatever we want....

I started a league...the positions and all can be discussed, as well as live draft or auto draft, etc. after we fill it or as we fill it....it's on the Fox site

msnfantasy.foxsports.com/nfl

League Name: Fantasy Warriors

Password: easy123

Show up and help create a league of fun and competition!!!!! :D:D

Would anybody like to do a 12 team league???  Make it whatever we want....

I started a league...the positions and all can be discussed, as well as live draft or auto draft, etc. after we fill it or as we fill it....it's on the Fox site

msnfantasy.foxsports.com/nfl

League Name:  Fantasy Warriors

Password:  easy123

Show up and help create a league of fun and competition!!!!! :D  :D

859124[/snapback]

Forgot!! League ID: 4845

Got an email this evening.  Just checked it out.  Looks pretty solid.  Especially for those of you that are paying $130+ for your current service.

Fox Sports Fantasy Football

Of course it appears you'll have to actually set up a league to see if all the customizables are to your liking but hey, it's free.

857705[/snapback]

Lets try this again...use the above link...League ID # : 4845 Password: easy123

I just locked my Office League into a custom setup. Nice rig they got goin on...most of my co-workers are novices. this will be the third year for them but they don't monitor throughout the off-season. Don't really keep up to date so for free, it should be as good as yahoo. with the free live scoring, even better...

You can pretty much pick yer own scoring system.

tie-breaker settings (weekly) are option between bench points and another but they offer fractional points so shouldn't be a concern.

season tiebreakers are again between two options: head to head or most points (you make yer choice as to what you want to be #1 option)

You can lock the wire down during games, which I don't know if Yahoo's fixed yet or not.

They do allow for an IR and you can pick yer settings from between the different IR levels...fer instance, do you want the lowest to be Probable for a trip to the IR or listed as Out? Yahoo doesn't offer this. At least they didn't last season.

Pick and choose how many roster spots to have

Pick when the playoffs start and how many teams make it in

Choose to setup Divisions -might seem obvious but Yahoo still didn't allow for this unless you paid last year.

Remains to be seen how buggy the live scoring will be but for free, it sure seems to be an improvement over yahoo's free service.

oh and Wizards, I joined yer League...

859326[/snapback]

Thanks Loaf...that makes 4---tominators, water moccasins and loaf (Wizards too)...get in while we have the room....the draft time, date, etc is not set in stone...the owners will determine day and time of draft, etc.....

Again thanks to the fellow huddlers who are ready for some football (FREE!!)

Choose to setup Divisions -might seem obvious but Yahoo still didn't allow for this unless you paid last year.

859321[/snapback]

The Fox service allows divisions? Whoops, I missed that. Sorry for the earlier misinformation.

Thanks Loaf...that makes 4---tominators, water moccasins and loaf (Wizards too)...get in while we have the room....the draft time, date, etc is not set in stone...the owners will determine day and time of draft, etc.....

Again thanks to the fellow huddlers who are ready for some football (FREE!!)

859444[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm in too. Why not.