[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Huddle Rankings - Top Ten TE's

DMD

1. Tony Gonzalez

2. Antonio Gates

Tier 2

3. Jason Witten

4. Dallas Clark

5. Randy McMichael

6. Alge Crumpler

7. Todd Heap

8. Jeremy Shockey

Tier 3

9. Chris Cooley

10. Doug Jolley

Fairly standard. Tier two mixes up differently for most everyone, but I think all of them are always tier 2 guys.

I like this list..... especially the last two, Cooley and Jolley. Cooley only started 8 games in his rookie year, but still had 6 TD's. He's a great red zone target, and his yardage numbers should go up with an increase in receptions and with the starting job locked up.

Jolley could get over 80 targets very easilly this year. Last year at Tennesse, new Jets' OC Heimerdinger had 3 TE's with 25 catches. The TE position produced 83 for 549 and 6 TD's. Last year, with Becht -now with TB- (who is a great blocker, but is slow with hands of sone, and runs lousy routes) and Baker, the Jets only had 31 for 282 and 5 TD's. Baker is not a very good recieving TE either. Jolley is set for a break out year, if he's up to it.

I'm not as sure of Dallas Clark though. With Pollard gone, and a couple of young TE's getting into the lineup, I'm not sure how it will affect his numbers. It might help him, but I also think it might hurt him. I think he's hard to project, so because of that I have him a bit lower.

Crumpler is no Gates or Gonzo, but he sure is consistant. He was #4 amoung TE's last year, and I think he stays in the top five. Because of that, I have him a bit higher, and am always amazed at how far he drops in most drafts.

One more TE that could have a nice year is LJ Smith. When he was healthy (not often) last year, he put up nice numbers even though he was sharing snaps with Chad Lewis. If he can stay healthy, with Lewis gone, he is poised for a big year too.

OK DMD, tell the truth, you didn't put Witten in Tier 1 because you didn't want to be called a homer right?

What no Wiggins? I know he is ugly to watch, but the guy has some sweet hands, and with Moss gone, I can see Cpep going to him a lot.

I really like Teyo Johnson as a second TE with some good potential. He is a better athlete than Jolley, and it appears he is no longer on the wrong side of Norv. Collins knows how to get the ball to the TE (remember Collins to Shockey), and Norv knows how to use a TE (remember Novacheck). I can actually see him out performing Jolley.

I like Heap a little higher also.

I guess when we put out our rankings we do it

'assuming' noone will be injured.

Good list. I agree. But I think I'd take Gates first this year.

Gonzo didn't have the numbers I hoped he would for me last year.

OK DMD, tell the truth, you didn't put Witten in Tier 1 because you didn't want to be called a homer right?

What no Wiggins?  I know he is ugly to watch, but the guy has some sweet hands, and with Moss gone, I can see Cpep going to him a lot.

I really like Teyo Johnson as a second TE with some good potential.  He is a better athlete than Jolley, and it appears he is no longer on the wrong side of Norv.  Collins knows how to get the ball to the TE (remember Collins to Shockey), and Norv knows how to use a TE (remember Novacheck).  I can actually see him out performing Jolley.

857847[/snapback]

LOL - no. I honestly think the production of Gates and Gonzo clearly places them apart from the rest of the pack, even if Witten leads that pack.

Wiggins is just outside the list. He could rise slightly but Kleinsasser's return could cut into his numbers.

I like Teyo Johnson, but for now he's back just a bit. I've already discussed that I think Collins is only going to throw for so many yards and that means they have to be distributed to Randy Moss, PROBABLY Jerry Porter, and later down to Teyo. There's only so many balls to throw there.

Tier 1: Tony Gonzalez

Tier 2: TEs on teams with inexperienced QBs.

Tier 3: TEs that are matching up against teams with OLB that don't/can't/won't cover underneath. There are teams that just don't cover TEs that well.

About 4,000 to be specific.  :D

858458[/snapback]

people have to realize that not every QB just hops on a new team and lights it up the 1st year...

granted, he did have some bad games...but when you have R Moss...you get probably another 1,000 yds automatically...

I'd bump Dallas Clark down below Crumpler and Heap. Those guys have been more consistent, as long as they aren't injured. I want to see what the Colts are planning to do with Clark before I'd put him ahead of those two.

The fact that Gates had twice as many TDs

858386[/snapback]

Somehow it's Gonzo's fault that:

1) You didn't wait several rounds to pick a different TE, and

2) That the TE you didn't wait for had the temerity to set an NFL record for TD receptions by a TE in a single season?

I have to include Jason Witten into Tier 1 now along with Gonzo and Gates...

857767[/snapback]

I'd have to agree there. There were some games Witten looked purely unstoppable (there was an MNF game, can't remember versus whom... he dominated).

I'd personally have Gates first, Gonzo a very close second and Witten a somewhat distanced third, but still in that top tier.

The likes of McMichael, Crumpler, Heap and Shockey surely should be placed in that second tier.

No Eric Johnson in the top 10? 

:D

858474[/snapback]

Excellent question.

Tight end is actually a deep position these days. So much for feeling like you have to overspend for one of the top two guys. A few years ago it seems like the dropoff between the top few and number 12 was huge. But if Eric Johnson is the 11th or 12th ranked TE, I'll wait.

Excellent question. 

Tight end is actually a deep position these days.  So much for feeling like you have to overspend for one of the top two guys.  A few years ago it seems like the dropoff between the top few and number 12 was huge.  But if Eric Johnson is the 11th or 12th ranked TE, I'll wait.

858719[/snapback]

I'll bite.

Eric Johnson started the 2004 campaign on fire, including back-to-back weeks of 113/0 and 162/1. After the Niners bye week, he cooled considerably, perhaps due to a minor thumb injury. In most scoring systems, he posted three goose eggs, 2 1-point games and didn't score more than 7 points in a game after the bye.

Add in the fact that they're probably going to have him in max protect mode with the rookie QB at the helm... and it might not be such a big year for Johnson.

Just my $.02.

I'll bite.

Eric Johnson started the 2004 campaign on fire, including back-to-back weeks of 113/0 and 162/1.  After the Niners bye week, he cooled considerably, perhaps due to a minor thumb injury.  In most scoring systems, he posted three goose eggs, 2 1-point games and didn't score more than 7 points in a game after the bye. 

Add in the fact that they're probably going to have him in max protect mode with the rookie QB at the helm... and it might not be such a big year for Johnson.

Just my $.02.

858731[/snapback]

I'll bite back :D

He had 82 receptions last year. I see your point about his early production, but like you said, thumb probably had something to do with that. Also, IMO, the rookie QB only justifies him moving up in the rankings. TEs with talent, who have inexperienced QBs throwing the ball, tend to produce because the QB will be dumping off often (I suspect). Plus, who does SF have at WR? Lloyd is unproven and so is the other youngin' (name is on the tip of my tongue).

You could be right about Johnson, but the way I see it, someone has to get the ball in SF, and they will be throwing often.

I'll bite back :D

He had 82 receptions last year.  I see your point about his early production, but like you said, thumb probably had something to do with that.  Also, IMO, the rookie QB only justifies him moving up in the rankings.  TEs with talent, who have inexperienced QBs throwing the ball, tend to produce because the QB will be dumping off often (I suspect).  Plus, who does SF have at WR?  Lloyd is unproven and so is the other youngin' (name is on the tip of my tongue).

You could be right about Johnson, but the way I see it, someone has to get the ball in SF, and they will be throwing often.

858762[/snapback]

82 receptions, alright. But not all leagues give you 1 point per reception.

Grits will run the rookie QB thing into the ground when it comes to TEs. So perhaps he'll chime in here... Sure, the rookie will look to the TE as a safety valve. That does NOT translate into yards and scores. Plus, Johnson's a pretty capable blocker. Dollars to donuts says he is in max-protect mode 60% of the snaps.

I can see Heap at 7, for now.

Coming off a major injury. He is most likely not the main target as both Mason and Clayton are expected to move into that role. Randy Hymes (WR) and Clarence Moore (WR), who where starters at the end of last year, are still in the mix also. Too many options in Baltimore now.