[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mock 2 is up

DMD

Mock 2 analysis page

I am considering dropping the grading system since there are so many aspects to grade. I have listed the starters for each team now and while the grading has always been about how the plan worked out for the team, it is hard not to relate it also to the set of starters that it created.

Enjoy, critique and openly mock... :D

I think I've seen this in just about every draft, Manning at 4 is too early when QB TD's are only 4 points.

First thing I noticed, lemme see what else. :D

858576[/snapback]

I took Manning in one mock at the 4th spot and just did not like the results at all. End up chasing all the positions the whole way out. But how can you let the safest player in the entire NFL go past?

:D Well, apparently I took broncos' potential train wreck and turned it into something good.

I would have given some of the other teams higher marks than what were given, but all in all, great analysis of the teams' strategies.

I took Manning in one mock at the 4th spot and just did not like the results at all. End up chasing all the positions the whole way out. But how can you let the safest player in the entire NFL go past?

858578[/snapback]

At 6 points a TD it's a different story. At 4 points a TD he is not the safest player at that point imo. At 4 points a TD he should go late 1st round, early 2nd round at best. Even at 6 points you'll run into the same problem, being inadequate at all the other positions, but you can justify it a little better with Peyton getting 6 points on 50 occasions.

At 6 points a TD it's a different story. At 4 points a TD he is not the safest player at that point imo. At 4 points a TD he should go late 1st round, early 2nd round at best. Even at 6 points you'll run into the same problem, being inadequate at all the other positions, but you can justify it a little better with Peyton getting 6 points on 50 occasions.

858581[/snapback]

exactly, in my league he gets anywehre from 6-9 pts on a TD..pending on the distance...

he'll go top 5 in my league easy...maybe even #1? :D

having said that, I'll gladly draft 10th-12th....

exactly, in my league he gets anywehre from 6-9 pts on a TD..pending on the distance...

he'll go top 5 in my league easy...maybe even #1?  :D

having said that, I'll gladly draft 10th-12th....

858592[/snapback]

In my big league, TDs are six to TWELVE depending on distance (0-39 = 6, 40-49 = 9, 50+ = 12). Thing is, Manning throws few deep bombs. But still, makes for a higher pick, I suppose.

In my big league, TDs are six to TWELVE depending on distance (0-39 = 6, 40-49 = 9, 50+ = 12).  Thing is, Manning throws few deep bombs.  But still, makes for a higher pick, I suppose.

858609[/snapback]

mine goes to 12 only if the QB runs or catches the TD....

Manning will get you plenty of the 30 yd TD's which is 8 pts in my league...0-9(6), 10-29(7), 30-49(8), 50+(9)

Interesting.... DMD, I'd keep the grading, although I noticed you were seemingly reluctant to give out any "C"'s ! :D Having said that, I though a "+" would have been nice behind my "B"! I look at this roster about the way you did though. Solid, not deep at RB, Gonzo, two safe WR's and two with nice upside. I think the Palmer selection makes or breaks this team. If he lives up to some of the loftier expectations, this team could be very good. If he falters, it could get ugly.

There was a team or two I would have graded a bit lower, and one or two I might have bumped just a bit..... but it's interseting to see how each slot almost had a strategy dictated to them, based on value, which is why I took Gonzalez where I did. He was almost a wash with the WR's I could have taken, but was a TE.

The more I look at the early Manning pick, the less I like it. One thing about taking him really early, at 2 or 3, means you can still get 2 starting RB's. Not studs, but starters. Take him later, and you only have one RB that will put up any points. I think the Manning pick is easier to do in IDP leagues, where you can make up some ground with defensive players. It was fun! Thanks! :D

Belonging to leagues awarding distance points for longer TDs is an indication that you may be eligible to ride the short bus.

858629[/snapback]

Opinions are similar to ass-holes. Everyone has one. Unfortunately, we sometimes hear both.

mine goes to 12 only if the QB runs or catches the TD....

Manning will get you plenty of the 30 yd TD's which is 8 pts in my league...0-9(6), 10-29(7), 30-49(8), 50+(9)

858613[/snapback]

In ours, we get 2x the values for "non-traditional" TDs (QB sneaks/runs, RB screen pass, WR reverse, etc.). Surely makes the pass-catching RBs and running QBs more valuable ... and if nothing else, makes it FUN, which is the POINT of the game, which some - who'll go unmentioned - appear to forget.

Edited by darin3

I like doing the mocks, but for me, its really more to get a general sense of what players are going to go when (like rookies) than it is to put together a good team. Here at the huddle, mocks are full of RB hoes (no offense guys) that do not reflect the other leagues I play in. I 2 of my local leagues, it is not uncommon for QB's to go like hotcakes in the first 2 rounds. After my first year at the huddle, I was lauging at all the people taking QB's and stocked up on RB, but ended up with lousy QB because I didn't adjust. You can fault people for bad decisions, but I had a sick backfield last year LT, DDavis, CBrown, JJones and SJackson and still didn't win a title, So I take a QB relativly early here to simulate the actual leagues I play in.

Edited by billay

In ours, we get 2x the values for "non-traditional" TDs (QB sneaks/runs, RB screen pass, WR reverse, etc.).  Surely makes the pass-catching RBs and running QBs more valuable ... and if nothing else, makes it FUN, which is the POINT of the game, which some - who'll go unmentioned - appear to forget.

858654[/snapback]

that is terrible.........especially in todays game...but to each his own(i'd like to know how many "non-traditional TD's are scored per season)... :D

that is terrible.........especially in todays game...but to each his own(i'd like to know how many "non-traditional TD's are scored per season)... :D

858687[/snapback]

In today's game? Compared to what? It's actually pretty fun, takes a little bit more preparation, and yet keeps everyone on a level playing field. Put it this way, it makes Vick more of an option.

Distance scoring increases the "randomness" of each scoring event (the luck factor) and decreases the impact of good planning.

I mean, if Johnny Morton catches a pass in the flat (his only reception for the game) and runs for 85yds for a TD (8.5 yardage points, plus 12 total points for the TD) and your opponent happened to have to start him due to byes or injuries, and you start your relatively solid WR in Keyshawn Johnson who proceeds to have one of his better games of the year with 112 yards and a snags a short TD pass, you will be outpointed 20.5pts to 17.2pts...because the crappy WR the other guy started turned in a flukey play.

Good FF league rules try to reduce the impact of the completely random in determining who wins the game/championship/total points/etc.

Distance scoring increases the "randomness" of each scoring event (the luck factor) and decreases the impact of good planning.

I mean, if Johnny Morton catches a pass in the flat (his only reception for the game) and runs for 85yds for a TD (8.5 yardage points, plus 12 total points for the TD) and your opponent happened to have to start him due to byes or injuries, and you start your relatively solid WR in Keyshawn Johnson who proceeds to have one of his better games of the year with 112 yards and a snags a short TD pass, you will be outpointed 20.5pts to 17.2pts...because the crappy WR the other guy started turned in a flukey play.

Good FF league rules try to reduce the impact of the completely random in determining who wins the game/championship/total points/etc.

858742[/snapback]

Again, opinions are welcome.

I understand the concept of lowering the random/fluke factor... but on a whole, this game is based on luck to begin with. Distance-based scoring - and "double points", for some, adds some flavor.

To most, this game isn't a statistical model. It's merely a game. For fun. :D

Muck, I see your point, but its flawed. Keyshwan doesn't get over 100 yards or score touchdowns, and nobody in their right mind would play Morton on Sunday! :D

You could just as easily argue the other side that it makes the likes of Moss, Holt, and Chad Johnson even more valuable since they are likely to get long scores. I think it creates more seperation in the final rankings too. The 1st WR in total points scores about 40% more over the last 4 years in our system than the the 13th best.