[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Auctions~~What rules do you use?

Undefeated72

I am thinking of changing to an auction style draft this year.....We have 12 teams and I am looking for ideas on the best way to run the draft...

Our league fee would be $250.00 which is how much each team would have to spend on draft day....

We are NOT using a salary cap this year, but would like to start using one next year....We use CBSSPORTSLINE and I wasn't real sure about how to set up a salary cap and also what to charge for free agents...So if anyone is familiar with CBSSPORTSLINE please fill me in....

All that I can say is, unless cbssportsline has added salary tracking capabilities, I wouldn't waste my time with them. MFL can handle an auction salary league far better than cbs at half the cost. I joined an existing auction draft keeper league using cbs last year and its a clusterfcku as far as tracking salaries. I"ve been begging them to switch to MFL.

Well....If I do decide to....He will definitely SMOKE the Colts defense....

858854[/snapback]

Ok the last game we played...You won.....However now that Mr Saban is in town...that will change......

Hell even Dave Wansted beat you guys 3 out of the last 4 times.....If Wanny can beat you 3 out of 4..OUCH.....Did you see his record last year???

I hope you guys add some defense this year....Peyton is starting to remind me of Marino...At least they gave Peyton a running game.....

Of all the years Dan Marino played.....He only had one team with a top ten rusher once and A team with a top 10 defense once....Unfourtunately for Dan...It was not in the same year....

Dolphins did some off there worst drafting during his years.....

I am thinking of changing to an auction style draft this year.....We have 12 teams and I am looking for ideas on the best way to run the draft...

Our league fee would be $250.00 which is how much each team would have to spend on draft day....

We are NOT using a salary cap this year, but would like to start using one next year....We use CBSSPORTSLINE and I wasn't real sure about how to set up a salary cap and also what to charge for free agents...So if anyone is familiar with CBSSPORTSLINE please fill me in....

858825[/snapback]

My auction league is ran through CBS also. We utilize a salary cap for drafting and keeper value only. We each have $100 to spend on our team at the draft. The salary for each player is kept in CBS for determining what their keeper value is the following year (we add 10% to the current year salary). We also use $3 as the salary for free agent pickups of players who weren't drafted (if someone is dropped and picked up later - they keep the salary they were drafted for).

We do not require teams to stay under the cap once the season starts - as to not inhibit trading. For example, last year Chad Johnson may have been drafted for $20. If someone wanted to trade for him during the year, say for Julius Jones - who was drafted for $5, we will allow that trade because their 'fantasy value' is equal regardless of their salary at the time they were drafted.

Very easy to set-up the salaries in CBS. Mess around in the site to see if you can figure it out. If you decide to go with the auction and need help, PM me and I'll try to assist you.

Here are some very good articles that can be found right here on The Huddle's main page (in article archives) that may help you determine your rules, strategy and help sell the idea to your league owners. Once you go to auction drafting, you'll find that it is far superior and more fun than serpentine drafts. Good luck.

Three Styles of Auction Bidding

Auction Budgeting

Convincing Your League About Auction Drafting

Taking Care of Bidness

All that I can say is, unless cbssportsline has added salary tracking capabilities, I wouldn't waste my time with them. MFL can handle an auction salary league far better than cbs at half the cost. I joined an existing auction draft keeper league using cbs last year and its a clusterfcku as far as tracking salaries. I"ve been begging them to switch to MFL.

858862[/snapback]

Nick Saban - just so you know. Very few people here will praise CBSSportsline. Two of my leagues have used it for years and we're happy with how the system works (I admit I don't use them for fantasy advice, that's why I subscribe here). They are very pricey comparatively speaking though. Most folks swear by MFL as Slambo did above.

We didn't have any problems tracking the salaries in CBS however.

How to you end the bidding of a player......I have two ideas in mind.....One is to use a auctionier to say going once, going twice SOLD....However that can lead to arguments, because I have one or two jerks in my league who will say that they motioned for that player before the bid closed....

The other is to have each team go around the table with a raise until it gets back to the person who bid the highest for that player.....If all other eleven guys don't raise the bid...The player is yours...The downside is this can take alot more time..

Nick Saban - just so you know.  Very few people here will praise CBSSportsline.  Two of my leagues have used it for years and we're happy with how the system works (I admit I don't use them for fantasy advice, that's why I subscribe here).  They are very pricey comparatively speaking though.  Most folks swear by MFL as Slambo did above. 

858872[/snapback]

LMAO!!! I would never use them for advise myself...I am also a Huddle member...I have used several pay sites....I just seem to win when I use the huddle.....They are also not too expensive...I like just about all the writers, However I really enjoy Dorey's stuff....

Most fantasy auctions have each league member throw a player on the auction block with an opening bid. Others can up the bid. When there is no bid for a predetermined amount of time, the highest bidder takes that player for the bid amount and places an opening bid up for another player. This continues until all roster spots are filled, with a stipulation that no bids are allowed where a the total of his total high bids are more that the amount he has lest to spend.

Nick Saban - just so you know.  Very few people here will praise CBSSportsline.  Two of my leagues have used it for years and we're happy with how the system works (I admit I don't use them for fantasy advice, that's why I subscribe here).  They are very pricey comparatively speaking though.  Most folks swear by MFL as Slambo did above. 

858872[/snapback]

I admit I have never tried to set up a salary league on cbs and I haven't used their league commissioner package since 2000.

So Puddy, are you telling me that the guys running the salary league I'm in are clueless about setting one up at cbs so that salaries are tracked via the website?. All salaries in this league I'm in are tracked on paper and via the message board. Its nuts and very confusing when the next year rolls around. Maybe they just haven't upgraded the league site in many moons and don't realize they're not fully utilizing the options available for a salary league. :D

I admit I have never tried to set up a salary league on cbs and I haven't used their league commissioner package since 2000.

So Puddy, are you telling me that the guys running the salary league I'm in are clueless about setting one up at cbs so that salaries are tracked via the website?. All salaries in this league I'm in are tracked on paper and via the message board. Its nuts and very confusing when the next year rolls around. Maybe they just haven't upgraded  the league site in many moons and don't realize they're not fully utilizing the options available for a salary league. :D

858924[/snapback]

Sounds like they are clueless. There is a spot to enter the players salary and what year of their contract they are in - for example, we have a 3 year contract maximum meaning we can only keep a player two consecutive years. The site tracks this from season to season.

You need to get them commissioners on the ball.

Sounds like they are clueless.  There is a spot to enter the players salary and what year of their contract they are in - for example, we have a 3 year contract maximum meaning we can only keep a player two consecutive years.  The site tracks this from season to season. 

859001[/snapback]

I swear, our leagues are very similar. Pretty funny to read what you wrote.

How to you end the bidding of a player......I have two ideas in mind.....One is to use a auctionier to say going once, going twice SOLD....However that can lead to arguments, because I have one or two jerks in my league who will say that they motioned for that player before the bid closed....

The other is to have each team go around the table with a raise until it gets back to the person who bid the highest for that player.....If all other eleven guys don't raise the bid...The player is yours...The downside is this can take alot more time..

858875[/snapback]

The league I commish sounds alot like Puddy's. We also have a $100 limit we can spend on players. (We can also use our cap limit during the season in trades so some teams coming into this year's auction may have $85 to spend while others have $115) We can also keep 3 players at any position as long as we give them a 15% raise each season for a max of 5 years.

Any free agents that you want to retain for the following season automatically cost $5 the next year.

The way I run our auction is by having all the guys in the room sitting on couches, chairs, stairs, coolers, whatever in the order that they finished last season. The team that had the worst record gets to bring up the first player. We go around the circle until the bidding is done. Then we mark off on the board who was selected and how much money that team has left. This way is a lot of fun, don't worry about it taking longer. I think it's way better to do it this way to avoid problems with an auctioneer. Everyone is sitting there wondering if you have the balls to raise the price and the trash talk is unreal. It is so much better to do the auction format and you will not be sorry you did. It's the best thing I ever did for our league.

Anyway, if you need more help, just drop me a PM. I'd be more than happy to help out. I can't beleive more leagues don't use the auction format.

Sounds like they are clueless.  There is a spot to enter the players salary and what year of their contract they are in - for example, we have a 3 year contract maximum meaning we can only keep a player two consecutive years.  The site tracks this from season to season. 

859001[/snapback]

Also, my league also uses CBS and I have not had a problem in 5 years.  They do have different categories you can add for each player to keep track of salaries, contracts, prices, whatever.  I know it's more expensive, but I do like how I can look at seasons from 5 years ago.

859043[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I will have to light a fire under the commissioners a$$ to get his act together. Other than that, its a great league with superb competition. We have a $200 salary cap. We keep one franchise player and have two restricted free agents(RFA). During the auction each owner can use two free agent moves. Meaning an owner can match a final auction price on two players from his roster and keep them. Makes for some interesting strategy.

Thanks for the info. I will have to light a fire under the commissioners a$$ to get his act together. Other than that, its a great league with superb competition. We have a $200 salary cap. We keep one franchise player and have two restricted free agents(RFA). During the auction each owner can use two free agent moves. Meaning an owner can match a final auction price on two players from his roster and keep them. Makes for some interesting strategy.

859064[/snapback]

Can you give a little more info on how the two free agent moves are used? I'm intrigued. Thanks.