[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tice fined 100k

MikesVikes

Vikings: Tice fined $100,000 for scalping tickets

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

July 1, 2005 VIKE0701

Mike Tice's decision to scalp Super Bowl tickets has earned him what is thought to be the biggest fine ever levied against an NFL coach.

The league announced Thursday that Commissioner Paul Tagliabue fined the Vikings coach $100,000 for breaking NFL rules against reselling Super Bowl tickets for more than face value.

In addition to Tice, Vikings running backs coach Dean Dalton and special teams coordinator Rusty Tillman were fined $10,000 apiece for the same infraction. All three were informed of the disciplinary action in a letter from Tagliabue, according to a statement.

Vikings spokesman Bob Hagan said Tice, Dalton and Tillman were on vacation and would not be available to comment. Tice's agent, Jimmy Sexton, did not return a phone call. New Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is on vacation in Colorado and could not be reached.

Tice did issue a statement through the team. "I respect Commissioner Tagliabue's decision," he said. "I used poor judgment and it will not happen again. I apologize to my family, Commissioner Tagliabue, the NFL, the entire Vikings organization and the fans. I consider this matter closed and remain focused on the upcoming 2005 season, which should be an exciting year for Vikings fans everywhere."

Greg Aiello, vice president of public relations for the NFL, said the league would have no further comment but acknowledged the fine was believed to be the biggest a coach has received.

The amount, however, is far from unprecedented for the coach of a professional team. In May, Jeff Van Gundy of the Houston Rockets was fined $100,000 -- the largest against an NBA coach -- after he said an official who was not working the NBA playoffs told him center Yao Ming was being targeted by referees after complaints by Dallas owner Mark Cuban.

But while Van Gundy is making $18 million over four years, Tice's $750,000 salary last season made him the NFL's lowest-paid coach. He is due to earn $1 million in 2005.

Tice's scalping of Super Bowl tickets became public knowledge in March when an anonymous tipster called the league's security office and at least three media outlets, including the Star Tribune.

Tice initially denied any wrongdoing to the media, but he admitted during a five-hour meeting with NFL investigators that he had scalped some of his 12 Super Bowl tickets in January to a broker for more than face value.

According to a report on Sports Illustrated's website, Tice and Dalton sold the tickets for $1,900, more than three times the face value price of $500 or $600 they paid for each. Tickets can be purchased to the game by NFL coaches, players and team executives for those amounts.

"NFL policy prohibits the scalping of any ticket to an NFL game or event," the league statement read. "NFL clubs are reminded of this policy each year in a memo from the Commissioner."

Tice also acknowledged he collected Super Bowl tickets from players and resold them in bulk while he was an assistant with the Vikings. Tice, who served as an assistant from 1996 to 2001, said he stopped that practice when he became head coach in January 2002.

Dalton's name surfaced early in the investigation because he reportedly had taken on the role of ticket collector after Tice replaced Dennis Green as coach. Tillman's name, however, had not been involved before Thursday's announcement.

There was speculation that Tice's actions might earn him a suspension, but Tagliabue said during a visit to Minnesota in April that he didn't think the discipline "would include a suspension."

As for other substantial fines against NFL coaches, then-Cowboys coach Barry Switzer was docked $75,000 in 1997 by owner Jerry Jones when Switzer was caught by airport security with a handgun in his carry-on bag. Jones fined him in lieu of the league taking disciplinary action.

Former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo received the largest NFL fine against an individual, when the league fined him $1 million for involvement in a gambling-fraud case in 1999.

In a few weeks when he realizes that he came out behind he going to be really, really mad.  :D

861046[/snapback]

:D Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Could take him more than a few weeks though. :D

12 tickets sold for $1900 and he paid $500 or $600 for them.

Subtract $100,000 fine.

In a few weeks when he realizes that he came out behind he going to be really, really mad.  :D

861046[/snapback]

As mad as when he found out what the Vikes got for Randy Moss?

They were WAY to hard on Tice. Did the NFL or the Vikes or anyone else believe Tice was taking 11 people to the bowl? -of coarse not...being able to scalp 12 tickets was one of Tice's contract perks. I'm sure he's not the only one doing this. A smaller fine was in order. :D

You mean Williamson, Harris, and indirectly Smoot, Sharper, Cowart and Williams?

861139[/snapback]

They only got the one big draft pick for him. The rest they got because they didn't have Moss' salary, which they could have cleared by cutting him.

That's like the Colts giving up Manning for Kordell Stewart and saying it was a good move because they can now sign Edge to a long deal.

They only got the one big draft pick for him.  The rest they got because they didn't have Moss' salary, which they could have cleared by cutting him.

That's like the Colts giving up Manning for Kordell Stewart and saying it was a good move because they can now sign Edge to a long deal.

861395[/snapback]

So they didn't get Napoleon Harris for Moss either? :D

Actually, the FA signings had more to do with Fowler's attempt to purchase the team from Red than Moss's deal. The FA signings were about the same price as Fowler's down payment to Red. But still, the players may not have ever been acquired w/o the Moss deal.

Edited by MikesVikes

So they didn't get Napoleon Harris for Moss either?  :D

Actually, the FA signings had more to do with Fowler's attempt to purchase the team from Red than Moss's deal.  The FA signings were about the same price as Fowler's down payment to Red.  But still, the players may not have ever been acquired w/o the Moss deal.

861405[/snapback]

It reminded me more of the Marlins fire sale a few years ago. Let's trade/dump one big name stud for several mediocre players. That was my take on it.

It reminded me more of the Marlins fire sale a few years ago.  Let's trade/dump one big name stud for several mediocre players.  That was my take on it.

861515[/snapback]

I don't think that you will find very many fans happy about the deal. It was like, "they traded Randy Moss for who?!?!?!?" Just like you said.

But it seems like only yesterday when people around here were complaining about Moss taking plays off. (Or was it the day before) :D

Edited by MikesVikes

This just bolsters the case that Mike Tice is, in fact, the stupidest head coach in the NFL and the only reason he got the job was because Red was too cheap to buy a real coach.

863277[/snapback]

Hope Tice knows how to sing "Happy Trails" ...