[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kyle Boller - Interesting Numbers

Big Red

Stats for first two NFL years:

Year Player G Att Comp Pct Yds Y/A Lg TD INT Rating

2003 Boller 11 224 116 51.8 1260 5.6 73 7 9 64

2004 Boller 16 258 464 55.6 2559 5.5 57 13 11 70.9

???? ???? 11 123 259 47.5 1663 6.4 49 7 14 54.9

???? ???? 15 214 380 56.3 2598 6.8 73 18 15 76.8

Who is the mystery player? I think the numbers look close. 7 TDs first year in same number of sames. Slightly more TDs than INTs in 2nd year. 55-56% completion in 2nd year. Just under 2,600 yards in 2nd year. Boller now has Mason, Clayton and a healthy Heap/Lewis. Can it only get better?

Stats for first two NFL years:

Year    Player  G    Att    Comp    Pct      Yds    Y/A    Lg      TD      INT      Rating

2003    Boller  11    224    116      51.8    1260  5.6      73      7        9          64

2004    Boller  16    258    464      55.6    2559  5.5      57      13      11        70.9

????    ????      11    123    259      47.5    1663  6.4    49      7        14        54.9

????    ????      15    214    380      56.3    2598  6.8    73      18        15      76.8

Who is the mystery player?  I think the numbers look close.  7 TDs first year in same number of sames.  Slightly more TDs than INTs in 2nd year.  55-56% completion in 2nd year.  Just under 2,600 yards in 2nd year.  Boller now has Mason, Clayton and a healthy Heap/Lewis.  Can it only get better?

861633[/snapback]

Only problem is that he has no where near the talent or legs that Johnny Boy had.

Was it neccessary to go back 21 years in order to find something that fits?

861671[/snapback]

Actually, I thought of Elways first year while bored at work. Looked up his stats and found both years fit.

I know that it is just coincidence, but I thought it odd that they both played 11 games their first year and had similar numbers. Both, of course, where 1st round picks by Baltimore. Both also wear #7, as did Bert Jones, the previous 1st round QB that actually played for Baltimore.

Facts that don't mean a darn thing. If Boller does not make the move to the next level this year, he will not be the guarenteed starter. Adding a Mason and Clayton to the mix that already included Heap should help his numbers.

Only problem is that he has no where near the talent or legs that Johnny Boy had.

861673[/snapback]

Well, he, uh, was taken in the first round!!!

Yeah, I'm just hoping Boller turns out to be a good QB. I don't expect an Elway like career out of him. Just someone who can bring better than Dilfer performance.

The point I was trying to make was that the first two years do not define the career of a QB, or at least I hope they don't in Boller's case.

Bledsoe, Romo, Henson, Hutchinson, Vinny, Carter (sniff).

861695[/snapback]

No doubt that is very ugly ... I noticed you stopped just short of Aikman. :D

Well, he, uh, was taken in the first round!!! 

Yeah, I'm just hoping Boller turns out to be a good QB.  I don't expect an Elway like career out of him.  Just someone who can bring better than Dilfer performance.

The point I was trying to make was that the first two years do not define the career of a QB, or at least I hope they don't in Boller's case.

861700[/snapback]

Boller = Q

Let's take the closest similar number QBs for their first two years that have happened since the advent of the personal computer:

Boller  Games	11	16pass yards	1260	2559Pass TD	7	13QB rating	64	70.9Tony Banks  Games	13	16pass yards	2544	3254Pass TD	15	14QB rating	71	71.5Charlie Batch  Games	12	11pass yards	2178	1957Pass TD	11	13QB rating	83.5	84.1

Those are just the other QBs ending in "B" - I could go on.

The bottom line to me go back to one of the great truisms in football. A great quarterback can make bad receivers good and good receivers great. But a receiver never makes a bad quarterback good or a good quarterback great.

I'm not saying that Boller will not take a step forward with better recievers, but there is nothing to suggest that it will be more than merely a "step". BAL is run first and defense - no escaping that. And Boller has just never shown nearly as much talent as his draft slot suggested.

I am all for optimism about the home team, but comparing anyone to HOF Elway is more than a little stretch.

No doubt that is very ugly ... I noticed you stopped just short of Aikman. :D

Boller = Q

861709[/snapback]

What?

Except for Aikman, Jones keeps QBs slightly less than he keeps coaches.

Come to think of it, Bollers number are very close to Aikman's.

What?

861730[/snapback]

Jones is an idiot he wants to pay Quincy Carter type money for a Peyton Manning type QB.

He dreams of finding the next Kurt Warner.

... passing on the bait ...

What?

861730[/snapback]

Well Boller could be better than Aikman at one thing, commentary :D

... passing on the bait ...

861737[/snapback]

Wasn't bait, look them up.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, just hoping that Boller turns out closer to Elway/Aikman than say Jeff George or Bert Jones (hurt early, never recovered).

Why do I suddenly picture the Monty Python skit with the guard at the bridge.

"Come back. It's just a flesh wound"  :D

861745[/snapback]

:D:D:D

Wasn't bait, look them up.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, just hoping that Boller turns out closer to Elway/Aikman than say Jeff George or Bert Jones (hurt early, never recovered).

861747[/snapback]

Since the QB position is one of the hardest to develop in football you can probably compare Boller's numbers to the first years of any number of great QBs ... as you obviously have.

Baltimore isn't a passing team. They win by running the ball and playing strong defense. Granted this was the flavor of the Aikman Cowboy teams too ... but he could throw when it was required and was a very accurate QB that made very few mistakes. When he needed to Aikman and Irvin could have big games.

I have my doubts on whether Boller could do it if he needed to ... time will tell.

The bottom line to me go back to one of the great truisms in football. A great quarterback can make bad receivers good and good receivers great. But a receiver never makes a bad quarterback good or a good quarterback great.

861711[/snapback]

:D

Kind of like Vick and Peerless I guess? Doesn't matter what w/r he's throwing to. :D

:D

Kind of like Vick and Peerless I guess? Doesn't matter what w/r he's throwing to. :D

861776[/snapback]

I remember doing similar comparisons after Kordell's first couple of years at QB. Kyle Boller will not even reach Kordell Stewart's category of QB talent, and the John Elway comparison's :D

As a Steeler Fan, Kyle Boller is possibly my favorite Non-Steeler player in the league.....you guys keep your John Elway in the making, I'll take Big Ben. :D

Well Boller could be better than Aikman at one thing, commentary :D

861738[/snapback]

True dat, though one generally has to have a pretty good career to get a shot at the booth.

Why do I suddenly picture the Monty Python skit with the guard at the bridge.

"Come back. It's just a flesh wound"  :D

861745[/snapback]

Wait. Am I hearing that there are people in the world who think Kyle Boller is going to be an elite quarterback?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D