[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T.O for Porter is a NO GO

The Stoner

July 1, 2005) -- A rumor that makes as much sense as Philip Rivers to the 49ers for the No. 1 overall pick has made its rounds on the Internet: Terrell Owens to the Raiders for Jerry Porter.

Due to salary-cap constraints -- suffocating ones -- the trade could not be completed, no way. Yet in journalism school, the first thing they taught me was, "If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out."

Well, I'm still trying to confirm that my mother loves me, but I have confirmed something else. This trade is positively not happening.

This is the conclusion drawn from an e-mail floated to an Oakland front-office man about the possibility of a trade going through and T.O. and Randy Moss playing together.

The Raiders' official e-mailed response: "It's absolutely (B.S.). Do not think twice about it. Keep grilling."

Guest THEbigred
ahh ok...well, if he holds out...he's just cutting his nose off..

862867[/snapback]

I'd prefer cutting the mouth off, but it's a start.

A high-ranking Eagles official laughed off broadcast rumors that had the Eagles and Raiders discussing a trade that would ship disgruntled wide receiver Terrell Owens to Oakland for wide receiver Jerry Porter.

"It won't happen," he said.

Owens has six years left on his seven-year contract and earned $9.17 million last year but wants a raise. The Eagles have been firm in their refusal to rework his contract, and his agent has said Owens may not report to training camp without a new deal. Owens stands to lose about $176,000 for every regular-season game he misses if he doesn't report by opening day. Porter, 26, caught 64 passes for 998 yards and nine touchdowns last season. He has 163 catches for 2,273 yards and 19 TDs in five years with Oakland. Owens caught 77 passes for 1,200 yards and a club-record 14 TDs last year and was 9-for-122 in the Super Bowl.

Porter signed a three-year contract extension worth $15 million in March. The Raiders also signed Randy Moss from the Vikings during the offseason.