[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Teams Chances This Year

Chief Dick

Just thinking about the Chiefs this year, and figured I would give my honest opinion on their chances at success. Hoping others here will also chime in on their favorite team.

It begins and ends with this defense. Carl Peterson deserves credit for at least making an effort to improve the personnel. And it seems like he has done that, but in all honesty their personnel was so bad they could have brought in my grandma and improved their talent level.

Derrick Johnson so far looks to add some speed and playmaking ability to a terrible linebacking corp, and hopefully Kendrell Bell can stay on the field. Surtain is an obvious upgrade at corner, and the Chiefs signed Ashley Ambrose yesterday for some depth. Eric Warfield will probably be suspended the first few games, but when he gets back we should have some good depth at the corner position. Sammy Knight is also a huge upgrade at safety, and rumors around here say Greg Wesley has come into workouts focused and mean. The D-Line should be OK with the emergence of Jared Allen last year, and I think they will be adequate enough. I see this defense in the middle of the pack, but with more turnovers and game changing plays.

The offense should be fine. A big question was answered with Larry Johnson filling in nicely for Priest, so we are solid at the RB position. Hopefully Trent Green can stay healthy again, and the healthy Kris Wilson at TE will add another dimension to the passing game. This team should score points again.

People laughed when we drafted a punter in the 3rd round this year, but early reports are this guy kicks a weird spiraling ball that is hard to catch. For those who don't watch the Chiefs often, part of the defensive problem is that our punting game was SO POOR that our defense was always stressed due to field position. The new punter should improve that factor.

All in all, I see the Chiefs at 10-6 and making the playoffs. We'll see at that point, but this team was humiliated last year, and will come into this season pissed and ready.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll make this short...

my team: Eagles

Obviously I expect them to make it back to the superbowl. With or without Terrell Owens, it shouldn't matter.

People often think there is no shot of the Eagles making it to the SB without him. And those are the football fans that just started watching last year. :doah:

McNabb has gained confidence in his receivers when TO went out and they should have a stronger showing this year.

Players to watch out for: G Lewis

This guy has very good hands and just makes plays. he SHOULD be the #2 WR, but Andy Reid has certain players (IE: Pinkston) that he won't let go of...

I think Pinkston should be the #4 WR and be used for his speed in that respect.

The defense will be very good again, especially with the addition of Patterson at DT. the corners will have a decent time of it as the DL will continue to apply immediate pressure on opposing offenses.

blah 13-3

Good analysis. Redskins are the exact opposite of the Chiefs, in my opinion. Defense was top 3 last year and should be comparable this year even with Sean Taylor's silliness (trial couldnt be til after the season). Everything hinges on the improvement of last year's flat and uninspiring offense.

Here is why I think the offense improves and the Redskins go 10-6 and make the playoffs:

Gibbs is known for modifications. When he was coaching in the first 12 year stretch (when he averaged 10-6 and made a Super Bowl 4 out of 12 years and won 3 of them) he was known as a master of the halftime adjustments. This is on a larger scale but I think he is quite capable of doing it properly.

First, he brought in the new QB coach Musgrave from Jacksonville to give input on the West Coast offense. And he appears to be working closely with him. The whole thing will hinge on Gibbs and Ramsey and This is a pretty good article about that from a DC sportswriter.

Gibbs has said Ramsey is the QB with no distractions and Gibbs stands by his word on these types of things. Ramsey has every chance to do it this year. Gibbs has adopted the shotgun to give Ramsey more time and is instilling more West Coast dump/short pass options. He has also adopted a lot of zone blocking schemes to take advantage of Portis' style and ability. Having Jansen back with Samuels and Randy Thomas and Casey Reibach (sp? Ravens center) means the line could be excellent this year.

While I am not too happy about the WR's, they are fast. And Gibbs has had a lot of success with small fast receivers who stretch the field in the past. With the field longer and Portis having a little more success and Ramsey playing a little better, suddenly having a top 3 defense means you win those very close games you lost the year before. And watch Cooley, I think he is going to be a serious sleeper TE this year.

The Redskins are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Good topic, and I'm bored! That Chiefs line is getting old, but is still the best.

The J-E-T-S!

The defense returns largely intact, maybe improved overall. SS Reggie Tongue is gone, and that can only be a positve, he seemed lost at times in the cover 2. Either the oft-injured but very talented McGraw or rookie Kerry Rhodes should replace him. Slant DT/NT Ferguson is gone, and while he was good, is also somewhat over rated. He'll be replced by a rotation of Legree and HUGH rookie Pouha in a rotation, most likely. The schedule is a bit tougher, but with the depth in terms of youth and speed in the D backfield, there may be more points against, but may be offset with the big play. J Abraham is a franchis tag hold out, but will most likely not pass up any games.... he might decide to skip camp though, not good for another often injured guy. The front seven is amoung the best in the NFL with a solid LB corp led by Vilma, and the DL is anchored by Robertson and Ellis.

The offense is the big question, with many small questions within. New OC Heimerdinger comes in with a reputation for being much less predictable than his predecesor, Hackett. Dinger has in the past, been both a run first dominated O scheme strategist, and at other times, a long pass happy play caller. How does that all play out? That is a matter of opinion until we see some preseason games, but here is my take: The Jets will still be a run oriented offense, but don't look for Martin to get 400+ touches again. Look for 300 to 325 carries, closer to his career avg of 329. Blaylock should get 100+. I expect the Jets to call 3 to 5 more passing plays per game, with some long patterns thrown in, much more so than last year.

Much depends on how Pennington's arm is, but he was throwing 80 passes every other day after the June OTA's in the 15 to 35 yard range. It seems his rehab is slightly ahead of schedule. Pennington could always throw long, but puts a lot of air under the ball. Moss was not good at catching in traffic, being a smallish reciever, but Coles is much better at running to the spot that Pennington throws to. I've already been told what a tool I am for this projection, but I think the Jets score about 8 more TD's than last year, and with the addition of a TE (Jolley) who can actually catch the ball, and then run with it (Becht was under 8 YPR last year) there are more weapons in the passing game. This offense also allows Pennington to call audibles to passing plays, something he could not do in last year's offense.

Since Coles and Pennington seem to read defenses the same way, it could be very successful. Much depends on how much NE has suffered in the loss of players (never been an issue) and coaches. I have the Jets for 9 wins minimum, 10 likely, and 11 if things go well. The defense should again be in the top ten very easilly, but can the offense break out of that middle of the pack points for group at 330 or so? Can Pennington live up to the promise of 2700 yards and 22 TD's in 12 starts in 2001? Can he stay healthy? You know what they say about opinions.....

My team: The Pittsburgh Steelers

The surprise team of the league last year, the Steelers reeled off win after win, knocking off two undefeated teams (including the eventual Superbowl winners, the Patriots). And while their record (15-1 in the regular season, a narrow win over the jets in the conference semifinals) would indicate the possibility of a fifth Superbowl for the storied franchise, the chances of a return to the AFC title game might be a more difficult road for the Black and Gold.

The ease of schedule (according to the Sporting News, the Steelers have the third easiest schedule in the league) could give them an advantage over the revamped Baltimore Ravens and the Jekyll-and-Hyde Cincinnati Bengals. Unfortunately, while the Ravens changed to make a run for the AFC championship (Derrick Mason, rookie Mark Clayton, the return of Jamal Lewis), the Steelers lost both talent and depth (most notably Plaxico Burress--like him, hate him--he is a threat). WR Cedrick Wilson is new this season--but what the Steelers did not reach out and find was a starter to compliment Hines Ward. It could be feast, or more possibly famine for the Steeltown faithful.

OFFENSE

Ben Roethlisberger had a record-breaking first season at the controls of the Steeler offense. But on closer inspection, it is pretty evident the Big Ben didn't throw his way to AFC title game. The Steelers ran 62% of the time, so Ben's caretaker role was one that he handled well (though I suspect grudgingly). Critics felt that he wore down as the season waned and I tend to agree. This season he should be prepared for the longer schedule and may be more prolific in the passing game, depending upon:

1. Jerome Bettis? Yep. He was nothing short of impressive last year, picking up the ball (literally) that Duce Staley couln't carry as a result of lingering injuries. The question in Steeler camp will be--is Duce going to be the dual threat (catching, running) that the Steelers envisioned, or will it be the Jerome Bettis show? For my money, I hope that it is Duce. I like Bettis, but he isn't the receiver that Staley is. Next season, the Steelers better start looking for a rookie RB with some upside or get Verron Haynes in the game. Duce isn't a spring flower anymore.

Ben will need some options now that Burress is gone, and I don't think rookie Fred Gibson will be ready to take that spot. Could be a problem for the passing game very early in the season.

2. Heath Miller? Gulp. The Steelers have not used a tight end effectively since Eric Green (yeah, I know...that's been a while). Marc Bruener languished at the position (if anyone remembers, he was PASS catching tight end at Washington) and they made him into a tackle for most of his career. If the Steelers work him into the gameplan early (and he has a Heap-like rookie year) things could be very interesting for the Steelers. He could be the solution to the Plaxico Burress loss.

DEFENSE

The Steeler defense was tremendous up front last season, stopping the run and pressuring the opposing quarterbacks. The knock on the Steelers (forever, it seems...wake up Mel Blount) is the secondary. Safety Troy Polamalu was as good as advertised in his second season, and James Farrior might be the most underrated linebacker in the NFL period. Backup to starter Larry Foote was also steady for the Steelers. Again, success will depend upon:

1. Ricardo Colclough? Yikes...the kid has raw ability but even the most ardent Steeler fan takes a deep breath when Ricardo and Ike Taylor are out there. Willie Williams (born in the Paleolithic era) played as well as Willie Williams could play at 67 years of age, but it's time for the kids to play. Second rounder Bryant McFadden is talented but untested. If McFadden can pick up the defense, he will be in the nickel in no time.

2. Travis Kirshke? Um...yeah. I know. Who is Kaiser Soze? Who is Travis Kirshke? He's the guy who has to play in the stead of Kino Van Oelhoffen when Oelhoffen is out. Kimo is not pretty, but he is effective. He doesn't get turned out and he keeps the linebackers clean (that's the beauty of the 3-4). He may not get the praise, but he is making the plays that make the plays. If Kirshke can develop into a power in that spot, both will be fresh and healthy, and that means more Steel Curtain for the league.

That's my take.

Edited by Ruffian

Jake Plummer... Super Bowl MVP :D

No... seriously... With Denver, you just never know. People are going to predict them to be awesome, and people are going to predict them to suck.

Jake can win games out of nowhere... or he can throw a perfectly simple win into the toilet with a few throws.

The running game will be solid, and the defense will be very solid. If we had, oh... Trent Dilfer... that would be enough. But we have friggin' Nuke LaLoosh with a million dollar arm and a 50 cent head.

Ill be the first (and maybe only) Bills fan to chime in:

9-7

Surprising to most considering a "rookie" QB in Losman. However, he cant play much worse the Bledsoe did last year. Plus hes more mobile. He will decide McGahee's fate somewhat in that if he is able to make plays downfield, teams will respect him and WM will run wild. However, if he is unable to throw long, WM could possibly be in for a long season. This team will still have a monster defense and special teams that will win them games such as they did last year.

I see them in contention for the playoffs, and they will make it in due to a week 17 win against the NY Jets.

Let the flames begin :D

The Vikings SHOULD win their division, but with so many new faces and the loss of Randy Moss anything is possible. They could be 6-10 or they could be 12-4. On paper they SHOULD contend with the Eagles as the best team in the NFC, but paper don't buy you shucks. It should be an interesting year to say the least.

The Lions have very good skill position players on offense. The WR core of Roy Williams, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers is explosive on paper. They also added Kevin Johnson so the depth is good. Kevin Jones came on really strong the second half of last year, so expectations are high for the running game. Marcus Pollard was signed to start at TE. He's on the downside of his career, but still has to be considered an improvement over what Stephen Alexander brought to the table.

The one skill position that is most concerning, is the most important one, quarterback. There has been enough Joey Harrington discussion on this board to last all of us a lifetime, but it is definitely make or break this year. Actually, I'm going to say it's make or break within the first 5 or 6 games. If he struggles out of the gate, Garcia will get the call. Fans will clamor for him and he's Mariucci's boy.

The Lions also signed offensive guard Rick Demulling from the Colts. I don't know much about him, but he did help protect Peyton Manning to the tune of 49 touchdowns last year. Along with Jeff Backus, Damien Woody and Dominic Raiola, the offensive line should be steady. Not a lot of depth but not many teams do along the line. We lost Stockar McDougle to free agency but he never really panned out here.

The addition of Kenoy Kennedy should help improve the secondary. The Leo's also added R.W. McQuarters. I wouldn't call the secondary a strength yet, but it should be better.

Getting Boss Bailey back healthy will do wonders for the linebacker group. Earl Holmes is solid and Teddy Lehman is coming off a pretty good rookie campaign.

A couple of good players on the defensive line. James Hall is underrated and I like the upside of Cory Redding. The Lions really need a breakout year from Kalimba Edwards, however I have my doubts about that happening.

Overall, I think the front office has done a very good job with their offseason acquisitions over the last few years. Sure, Mike Williams was a luxury pick instead of a need, but everyone seems to believe he is just too talented to pass up at the 10 spot.

I think the Lions continue to improve this year. 9-7 or 10-6 seems about right, contending for a playoff berth.

But we have friggin' Nuke LaLoosh with a million dollar arm and a 50 cent head.

862916[/snapback]

Throw the next one at the bull.

Young girls, they do get woolly...

San Diego Chargers:

The OFFENSE will score points again. LT is a given. Brees has been continuing his off-season conditioning program and is in the best shape of his life. He's motivated to prove that last year was no fluke. Gates at TE is a beast. The WR's are healthy again. Despite last year's injury Caldwell looked very fast at minicamp. McCardell is behaving himself, will have a whole preseason to get more acquainted with the system, and has even taken Caldwell and Eric Parker under his wing to give veteran advice (which they appreciate).

Darren Sproles was ELECTRIC in mini-camp. If you need a SPECIAL TEAMS pick for this year, you could do alot worse than picking SD. Sproles is special.

The question marks for this team are SCHEDULE and DEFENSE.

The schedule is brutal in the middle of the season (Philly, Pittsburgh, NE) plus all the other teams in the division have improved, at least on paper. This makes repeating at 12-4 very unlikely.

The defense is suspect. Lack of a pass rush last year absolutely killed the Chargers. The draft supplied Merriman (if he ever signs) and Castillo who looked good at DE/DT in minicamp. While the linebacking corp. is good, the defensive backfield has alot of unanswered questions on whether they can get the job done. Alot has been printed in the local media that this is the year they need to step up or risk being replaced.

I'm guessing 10-6 for the year, 11-5 with luck.

Edited by Chargerz

skins, I was just reading that Taylor Jacobs could win a starting job at WR. I am on the Washington kool aid this year, but sure don't like Patton and Moss as starters. I think the Skins will surprise.

862863[/snapback]

Jacobs has disappointed so far but is big and rangy and could have impact as a possession Art Monk (to continue my Gibbs era comparisons) type of reciever underneat. The guy Gardner could be but will not be with this team--Gibbs appears done with him. Patten and Moss may not be great starters but I think you see a nice mixture of receivers this year.

Edited by skins

Jake Plummer... Super Bowl MVP  :D

No... seriously... With Denver, you just never know.  People are going to predict them to be awesome, and people are going to predict them to suck. 

Jake can win games out of nowhere... or he can throw a perfectly simple win into the toilet with a few throws.

The running game will be solid, and the defense will be very solid.  If we had, oh... Trent Dilfer... that would be enough.  But we have friggin' Nuke LaLoosh with a million dollar arm and a 50 cent head.

862916[/snapback]

A few more thoughts on Denver:

It is my most sincere homer desire to see Plummer finally mature. If he could cut down on the mistakes, we'd be golden. If he can cut last year's 20 INTs to 13-15, I'd be happy.

I'm not convinced stealing the entire D line fron Cleveland was a good idea. It's a long shot, but if one or two of those cats shape up in their new environment I'll be happy.

We're rock solid at LB. Getting Gold back is huge. I'm excited to watch them.

The secondary still concerns me. Champ had some brilliant games last year, but laid some real eggs too. I love having Lynch on the field, even if he's lost a step.

RB? :D Insert servicable player and watch 'em shine. No worries here.

The WRs worry me. Smith has enough miles on him, he's probably best relagated to the slot. He's still crafty enough to play outside, but he doesn't stretch the field. It is great to have Rice there, even if it's only as a coach-type player. Last year was the magical 3rd year for Lelie and he didn't break out. Watts is the guy that excited me - if he can settle down and get his head in the game (see Jerry's value here), he could work out great.

We've got a bunch of OK TEs - they'll work in rotation in this offense. Some guys are really excited about getting Alexander, but I'm not. He's no Shannon

Sharpe.

Chief and Chargerz have already put 2 other AFC West teams and 10-6, I'll do 'em 1 better and put the Broncos at 11-5.

My Team: Dallas Cowboys

Defense:

A major changes here. Two DE 1st rounders, and 4 out of the first 6 picks on defense. Now add a couple of Free Agents, and a new defensive scheme and you can see that Parcells is looking to the Defense this year to carry the load. If the Defense gels, look for it to be in the top 5.

Offense:

Can last year's rookies; J. Jones and J. Witten be this year's stars? I believe so. This team is going to run, run, and then run some more. If Jones stays healthy he could contend for the Rushing title. If he doesn't he has Anthony Thomas and Marion Barber to back him up. Witten will provide Bledsoe with a big target, and Bledsoe will use him. Expect Witten to lead all Cowboy receivers this year.

Receivers:

No changes here. Johnson will keep catching them over the middle, Glenn will pull up lame by mid-season, and, and, and, well thats it for the receiving Corp unless Morgan finally shows up, but don't count on it.

QB:

The addition of Bledsoe was an upgrade over Vinnie, and with an improved O-line, a very good running game, and a top TE target, Blesoe should have a decent year. In fact the Cowboys should average 20 points per game this year with Bledsoe filling the Trent Dilfer/Ravens role (do just enough too not lose the game)

Finally analysis:

Look for the defense to struggle early but by week 5, if (and it is a big if) they should gel. If they do its a 10-6 season, with a wildcard birth. If not, the best they will do is 8-8 and be watching the playoffs from their couches.