[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The next Jerry Rice!

In one of the age old father-son rituals my son (10) and I bought his first set of football equipment today (minus the shoulder pads and helmet, those will be provided by the league).

He signed up for his first season of tackle football this fall and is pumped about it. Although he was pretty upset with me today for not going ahead and buying shoulder pads and a helmet anyway.

In the neighborhood game he has pretty good hands and likes being the WR. He envisions himself being the next Jerry Rice.

He doesn't realize that at 10 there isn't a whole lot of passes thrown ... and those that are thrown don't get caught all that often. He also doesn't have the speed to get open.

But he has his dream ...

In one of the age old father-son rituals my son (10) and I bought his first set of football equipment today (minus the shoulder pads and helmet, those will be provided by the league).

He signed up for his first season of tackle football this fall and is pumped about it.  Although he was pretty upset with me today for not going ahead and buying shoulder pads and a helmet anyway.

In the neighborhood game he has pretty good hands and likes being the WR.  He envisions himself being the next Jerry Rice.

He doesn't realize that at 10 there isn't a whole lot of passes thrown ... and those that are thrown don't get caught all that often.  He also doesn't have the speed to get open.

But he has his dream ...

863187[/snapback]

how fast is he (not a 40 time, but is he fast?). i understand he wants to be a WR, but maybe try to get him to play some runningback. at 10 years old we only threw about 4 passes a game, and usually 2 were caught. you want your boy to maybe playu a little RB so he can get better at running and juking and having good hands.

He is not fast.  He has played 2 seasons of flag football and we have already seen it is all about the fast boys running the ball.

He is quick and smart though ... which means he puts good pressure on the QB ... he had one interception last season too.

863192[/snapback]

Flanker, Linebacker, Strong Safety (if they play with one) sounds like something your son should fit and get plenty of action playing. If he's not "fast" but he is quick those positions should be good for him.

Flanker on offence will give him some chances to catch a pass. He'll learn to block which is very important and he can also get the ball a few plays to run with and see how he fits.

If he isn't fast I think on D corner would be taking a chance. I'd like to see him in the middle taking on R/Bs. SS is also a possibility but, besides myself, you don't see too many coaches on that level letting kids have that kind of free hand on the field. If he's that smart and is really into the game maybe the coach can take a chance on him being a monster on the field.

Bottom line let him have fun no matter where he plays.

Edited by jgcoach

Now that's job #1  :D

863660[/snapback]

DMD - One question...where do you have Grits son on your WR rankings? Do you think he is worth a late round flyer?

In all seriousness, Grits, I hope both you and he really enjoy the season.

Edited by Nate Dawg

DMD - One question...where do you have Grits son on your WR rankings?  Do you think he is worth a late round flyer?

In all seriousness, Grits, I hope both you and he really enjoy the season.

863711[/snapback]

I actually have him one spot above Koren Robinson.

He is not fast.  He has played 2 seasons of flag football and we have already seen it is all about the fast boys running the ball.

He is quick and smart though ... which means he puts good pressure on the QB ... he had one interception last season too.

863192[/snapback]

Wherever he plays, I know you will be a proud and interested dad. Knowing you as I do from here, all I can say is that if he is anything like his you, he'll be a holy terror on the field. :D

I think, as a coach, that the key for him will be recognition. If you don't have the super wheels, you have to know where to be at all times. That, more than anything, is the difference maker. Recognize and react. Beat your opponent to the spot. You do that, you win. I wish him all the best!