[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Vikings are not going to win the NFC North

i think its going to be a wacky yr. i too think none of these teams is sooooo much better than the others. i would think green bay and minny would be semi favorites but i wouldn't put the bears or lions out of the mix. none of these teams are dominant and this division always plays hard against one another. i still think the bears have the best defense and that should keep them in division games. the lions are the wild card, but they too could rise up from the ashes of the mediocrity that is the black and blue division.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't get is how there's this perception the Bears have leapfrogged past GB; they certainly made some upgrades on their offense, but on paper it only looks to be a move up from "putrid" to "below average". If they make any moves, it's gonna HAVE to be due to D and ST (of course, one could say similar things about the Packers' D moving down from "awful" to "'76 Buccaneer bad", but GB won 10 games last year with a bad D; Chi won 5 with their bad O).

That was our line in the Denny "take a knee" Green era.

871069[/snapback]

Yes, now you can live safe in the knowledge that Vikings playoff chokes are few and far between. :D

Given GB's playoff success under Mike Sherman, I've gone the Vikings/White Sox fan route of self-immolation upon my disappointment.

The thing I don't get is how there's this perception the Bears have leapfrogged past GB; they certainly made some upgrades on their offense, but on paper it only looks to be a move up from "putrid" to "below average". If they make any moves, it's gonna HAVE to be due to D and ST (of course, one could say similar things about the Packers' D moving down from "awful" to "'76 Buccaneer bad", but GB won 10 games last year with a bad D; Chi won 5 with their bad O).

871057[/snapback]

i wouldn't go that far either. the bears have to improve but green bay and minny in particular are the faves. i just wouldn't be surprised to see any of the four win it. none of these teams could go into philly and win in january, unless they were handed the games with turnovers. still, winning the division at least gives some bragging rights.

i wouldn't go that far either.  the bears have to improve but green bay and minny in particular are the faves.  i just wouldn't be surprised to see any of the four win it.  none of these teams could go into philly and win in january, unless they were handed the games with turnovers.  still, winning the division at least gives some bragging rights.

871391[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong - the Bears HAVE improved on offense (which was their Achilles Heel anyway), but they need FAR more than just an upgrade at one OL position and a decent WR.

If Chicago wins the North, I'll wear a Jim McMahon jersey to my '06 fantasy drafts.

No offense to Pack fans, but Green Bay's defense is the worst in the division. 

872029[/snapback]

Heck, why would I get pissed at someone saying something that I know is true? I'm just spending the offseason latching onto Jim Bates' nutsack in hopes he can get the D from awful to average. Plus it looks like he may be the HC next year, so I want to get on his good side. :D

Heck, why would I get pissed at someone saying something that I know is true? I'm just spending the offseason latching onto Jim Bates' nutsack in hopes he can get the D from awful to average. Plus it looks like he may be the HC next year, so I want to get on his good side.  :D

872036[/snapback]

If Bates takes over next year, will you change your screen name ala Chief Dick to Master Bates? :D

If Bates takes over next year, will you change your screen name ala Chief Dick to Master Bates?  :D

872524[/snapback]

No, but maybe someone might show up with that alias.... :D

• 2 months later...

In the context of the recent thread by Chadman, my predictions sure do sound accurate so far.

Yeah, I know it's only one week, but that performance certainly wasn't ALL the Bucs defense. That D looked vulnerable last year and didn't get noticeably better.

Needless to say, I'm sticking to my earlier prognostications, but we'll see. :D

Wow, My thread has received promotion in another thread...truly a big day in my Huddle career. :D

The only problem was it was footnoted by a Packers apologist... :D

Despite all the possible problems in game one against (I'll say it again) a Top 5 defense, the Vikings will have no trouble capturing this pathetic division. This week is the key week of the season, IMO. They absolutely need to win on the road in Cincy or they are going to make the Atlanta game a huge one. They need to head to the break no worse than 2-2, and if they start 0-2 that will be tough.

The Lions offense looked awful and still have Harrington to lead them. Playoffs do not look probable for them IMO. The Bears will not be able to overcome the lack of offense, although if Benson can crank it up and the QB situation does not give the ball away repeatedly, they should challenge the Lions eventually. The Packers are just plain weak. Favre is not showing any spark...he looks like he just has nothing left emotionally. He doesn't have Walker to bail him out on his prayer-throws anymore. The offensive line is not good, and teams should focus on that more. Defensively, they are awful. By far, the worst defense in the division, and the second worst offense in the division. They are solidly the last place team in this division.

1. Vikes. (9-7) 2. Lions. (8-8) 3. Bears. (5-9) 4. Packers. (5-9)

The Vikes and Lions could be better if they can improve their offenses, but probably not. The Packers are just plain sad... :D

the Vikings will have no trouble capturing this pathetic division...The Lions offense looked awful and still have Harrington to lead them. Playoffs do not look probable for them IMO.

991565[/snapback]

As opposed to how wondrous the Vikes' O looked? At least the Lions avoided turning the ball over...

Right now, the North is basically the NFL's version of the Special Olympics; I don't think ANY team looked very good, and whichever of the 4 either gets it together or manages to be better than the other 3 will probably take it with 8 or 9 wins.

You are correct, no team looked any good. And I also think that if the Vikes do not win Sunday, they may take a real dive. If the Saints grab a win against the Giants and the Falcons play well against Seattle, the schedule for them at 0-2 is a real problem. The Lions could convince me if Harrington could hit his receivers. I also think they didn't turn the ball over because Harrington's passes were SO poorly thrown most of the time. The Lions may be the best team in the division, but I think the Vikes turn it around with a good offense and a strong defense in Cincinnati. I think with Smoot and Winfield covering Chad and TJ and Williams and Williams standing strong in the middle against RJohnson, they match up really well with the Bengals. The offense cannot possibly be as bad as last week, and I think 24 points will get them a win. Who knows? If the Packers rookie can turn out to be a good receiver, maybe the Pack can win a couple games in the division. But their defense will just not be good enough to cover wins.

Defensively, they are awful. By far, the worst defense in the division, and the second worst offense in the division. They are solidly the last place team in this division.

991565[/snapback]

:D

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You're using the Week 1 performance of the offense as evidence that it's the "second worst" in the division, but then dismissing the solid Week-1 performance of the defense and calling it "awful".

Neither the Packers OR the Vikings scored an offensive TD last Sunday, so I assume the Vikings would be the "worst" offense, with the Packers just ahead? :D

Trying to be as objective as possible, I was pleased with the defense, especially considering they figure to get better as the season wears on, instead of worse. The offense has to be considered an anomaly, given its recent history.

:D

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You're using the Week 1 performance of the offense as evidence that it's the "second worst" in the division, but then dismissing the solid Week-1 performance of the defense and calling it "awful".

Neither the Packers OR the Vikings scored an offensive TD last Sunday, so I assume the Vikings would be the "worst" offense, with the Packers just ahead? :D

Trying to be as objective as possible, I was pleased with the defense, especially considering they figure to get better as the season wears on, instead of worse. The offense has to be considered an anomaly, given its recent history.

995225[/snapback]

Yeah, Favre always plays bad in Detroit, so Im not worried about that. I think that people don't watch games and just go by what so and so says. The packers will have the single most improved defense this year. I think Thomas, Barnett and Diggs will be a pretty good linebacking corps. Kampman is an over acheiving high motor guy, Grady Jackson is a force, and Cullin Jenkings looked very good in his first start. I think the packers struck gold in Nick Collins... Also, KGB will be used the same way that Jason Taylor was used in Bates Defense in the past.

The PACKERS will be the most improved defense in this division this year? You cannot be serious. I guess you are, though, so I don't really know what to say to that. The Bears have a terrific defense and are considerably better with Urlacher back. The Lions look like their defense is better, but I don't know that I would rate it highly improved. The Vikings are so much improved defensively, it cannot even be measured yet, I don't think. You rate the Packers mining for average rookies and free agents to the Vikings signings of Smoot, Sharper (remember him, Packer fans?!?), Cowart and Pat Williams? They also added Napoleon Harris via trade and drafted Erasmus James. These are all new additions, not even considering how they will improve everyone else around them. They bump the crappy guys to the bench, too. The Packers defensive backs are horrible and will be exposed by anyone not named Harrington or Dilfer (and Dilfer might beat them this week). KGB is a terrific pass rusher. Jackson takes up a lot of space in the middle and can hold his own. Barnett looks terrific so far. Otherwise, that's it, IMO. I think "Mr. Motor" Bates will have his head explode this season in frustration.

Speaking straight from the middle of my mouth :D, I rate the Packers offense as being 2nd worst behind my estimation of what the Vikings and Lions will be like by the 2nd quarter of the year. I don't think Favre looks very good this year (or last, for that matter) and Walker's loss will hurt him badly. They certainly could not effectively move the ball on the Lions, let alone score much. People are screaming about how awful the Vikings were in game one...they did better than the Packers, for crying out loud. The vaunted Ahman Green rushing attack went off for 46 yards and a 2.7 yard average. How about passing? Favre tossed the ball up 44 times for 170 yards. He threw two interceptions and was sacked four times. And this was by the Lions defense, while good, are not considered in the upper echelon yet. Neither the Packers nor the Vikings were worth a crap in week one, but with Javon Walker done, I'd say the Packers should expect to be worse, and the Vikings should get better.

Hey, I could be wrong. I often am. If the Pack handles Cleveland and the Vikes lay an egg in Cincy, we'll know more. I think we see more of the same from the Pack on Sunday, and I think the Vikes produce a nice offense, hold down the Bengal receivers due to Smoot and Winfield, slow down Rudy Johnson with Williams and Williams up front, and get a big win on the road.

The Vikes could go south this season. Tice is a bad football coach and will prohibit them from reaching their potential. But they are clearly a better football team than Green Bay.