[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steak Rubs?

My brother -in-law got in an argument tonight about who could barbecue(sp) the best steak. So I thought I would ask some experts on the subject.. I want to get a very good steak rub for our little cook off.. I know he will smother his steak in a combo of A-1 and pepper...I would like to kick it up a notch and need a little help. So here is what I am looking for:

1. What is everyone's favorite steak rub?

2. Can I order the rub over the internet?

3. Why is this particular rub your favorite?

My wife told me to just look up a steak rub on epicuious.com but I thought I could do better on the Huddle Tailgate...

Any help would be welcome.....

BTW, the steak of choice will be a ribeye...Hope that helps..

Thanks again.......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for a quick, simple, good rub montreal seasoning is pretty decent.

edit: i'd like to note that i rarely use rubs on steaks (usually on ribs or chicken). with steaks i typically either just go with salt and pepper, and an infused oil or create a sauce for it.

Edited by Bier Meister

Trust me on this one..Get a steak . Brush Olive oil on both sides.Then put black pepper and Adobo on both sides..Delicious..

Lots of guys here really get into their rubs, but I'll give you some simple solutions to kick your bro-in-law's butt.

1. Uncle Bucks makes a number of seasonings - I like them all.

2. McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak is good if you like a little spice.

3. If you buy high-quality steak, good salt and pepper is really all you need.

Chief Dick and Untateve will have some homemade rub mixes for you.

for a quick, simple, good rub montreal seasoning is pretty decent.

edit:  i'd like to note that i rarely use rubs on steaks (usually on ribs or chicken).  with steaks i typically either just go with salt and pepper, and an infused oil or create a sauce for it.

863912[/snapback]

Good info Bier.

I think rib eyes are very good tasting steaks and rubs or marinades overide good flavor. Spices are the best way to go. That being said, sometimes on cheaper boneless cuts my favorite rub or marinade is:

Toshida's sauce or Terriaki (sp)

Wershister sauce (sp)

Splashes of BBQ sauce

Mix together as needed and then rub or marinade for a few hours.

Edited by bushwacked

Lots of guys here really get into their rubs, but I'll give you some simple solutions to kick your bro-in-law's butt.

1.  Uncle Bucks makes a number of seasonings - I like them all.

2.  McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak is good if you like a little spice.

3.  If you buy high-quality steak, good salt and pepper is really all you need.

Chief Dick and Untateve will have some homemade rub mixes for you.

863921[/snapback]

i think #2 is what i was refering to......

The key to a good steak is buying a good piece of meat. No supermarket meat--make friends with your butcher.

That said, I usually don't do a rub--olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

However, tonight I tried one that was really good, with a nice kick (from Bon Appetite magazine).

4 1/2 bay leaves

1 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian Sweet Paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons crushed chipolte pepper

3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds

Grind it all up in a spice (coffe) grinder and there you have it. The recipe also called for kosher salt and cracked pepper along with olive oil, but the rub was really nice. It was offset with melted blue cheese. Delicious.

The three keys to a great steak have already been mentioned in this thread.

1. Get a premium cut of meat from a butcher if you can, although I do believe if you search hard enough at a supermarket, you can find quality and decent cuts of steak at a much lower price.

2. Untateve talking about grinding up your own fresh herbs and spices. Everything has to be fresh or its not worth putting on your freshly cut premium steak. How anybody could put dried spices like McCormick's Grillmates on their steak is beyond me. Just my opinion.

3. Whomper's suggestion of brushing olive oil on the steak just before you grill. I usually throw a tablespoon of sugar into the olive oil and let it dissolve before I do it, though.

A good steak does not need any seasoning of any kind. Buy a premium steak. Grill it. Done.

The spices in rubs will pull some moisture from the meat, which IMO is a big no-no.

If the measure of a good steak in your contest is the flavor of the crap you put on it, you boys need to learn how to truly enjoy a good steak.

A good steak does not need any seasoning of any kind. Buy a premium steak. Grill it. Done.

Mmm, mmm bland. :D

Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. All you need. :D

Here is what I do with all of my steaks

Put them in a larger cake type pan. Throw some red wine vinegar on them, throw some olive oil on them, and throw some Lea & Perins on them. Then sprinkle with garlic powder, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and Montreal Steak Seasoning. I rub in the dry incredents on both sides, and let sit in the wet ingredents for 30-45 minutes. Then throw them on the grill.

Almost everyone I have ever cooked as steak for comments on how good they are, and asks me what all I put on them.

Mmm, mmm bland.  :D

Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. All you need. :D

864135[/snapback]

I got your bland right here buddy. :D

I have a funny story. About 10 years ago I went to a local steak joint that had awesome steaks. I took a date, and we both ordered KC Strips. The waitress brought out the food and my date asked for some steak sauce. The waitress, an old German gal, looks at my date and says, "These are the best steaks in Kansas City. I will not bring you steak sauce." And she didn't. I laughed my ass off. Still funny to this day.

Steak sauce = a crime in my book.

864133[/snapback]

I agree.

If you're going to rub a lot of stuff into it (and steaks cooked that way can be tasty), buy a cheaper steak. Those rubs detract from the flavor of the meat and isn't that what you're paying top dollar for?

Every now and then, I like to drink my scotch on the rocks. I have some Johnnie Walker red for the occasion, becuase I'm not about to flip up a good single malt.

Edit: Pretty much the same goes if you're cooking the steak to medium or longer.

Edited by Furd

I have a funny story. About 10 years ago I went to a local steak joint that had awesome steaks. I took a date, and we both ordered KC Strips. The waitress brought out the food and my date asked for some steak sauce. The waitress, an old German gal, looks at my date and says, "These are the best steaks in Kansas City. I will not bring you steak sauce." And she didn't. I laughed my ass off. Still funny to this day.

864144[/snapback]

:D That is funny.

Steak sauce = a crime in my book.

864144[/snapback]

I agree. Steak sauce doesn't belong anywhere near a real steak.

A really great steak gets only salt a and pepper from me most of the time. Once in a while I'll feel like a little garlic butter on it if that compliments other meal ingredients.

I reserve the Montreal and Uncle Bucks for the grocery store variety steaks. I can't afford to eat primo steak all the time. :D

Like others here, IMO, the better the steak you buy the less you need to adorn it with.

All those fancy rubs and marinates are for the less cuts of beef.

I have used Lindy's Steak and Chop marinate and enjoyed it.

One of my favorite ways to do a good rib eye ... heat a cast iron skillet until it is very very hot. Hit your steak with canola oil (higher heat point) salt and pepper. Throw it in the skillet ... something like 3 minutes per side to sear the meat. Take skillet and put it directly into an oven that has pre-heated to 500 degrees and cook for another couple of minutes.

Like any time you cook a steak it is very important to let the meat rest before you eat ... and never never over cook your steak, if the pink is mostly gone you've ruined a perfectly good steak.

The spices in rubs will pull some moisture from the meat, which IMO is a big no-no.

If the measure of a good steak in your contest is the flavor of the crap you put on it, you boys need to learn how to truly enjoy a good steak.

864133[/snapback]

I agree with this. If you are working with low quality material, try this sometime:

TexJoy Spicy Steak Seasoning

I traditionally season my steaks with garlic powder and the Montreal Steak spice, but I'm partial to the "spicy" variety of this. I've found it important, if you do use this, to not put only the Montreal Steak spice on the meat, but to also not put it on first, or else it will overwhelm the taste of the steak.