[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steak Rubs?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those that are saying rubs on good steaks are not needed, and often over power the flavor of a good cut of meat. That being said, the guy asked a question about rubs. Not everyone can afford great cuts all of the time. Some times a rub is appropriate.

If I'm buying a steak at a restraunt or cooking, for some people, and they ever ask for A-1, that will be the last time I buy or cook a steak for that person. If someone ever asks for a steak cooked longer than medium, that is the last time I buy or cook them a steak. As people like this do not know how to enjoy a good piece of meat.

I agree with those that are saying rubs on good steaks are not needed, and often over power the flavor of a good cut of meat.  That being said, the guy asked a question about rubs.  Not everyone can afford great cuts all of the time.  Some times a rub is appropriate. 

If I'm buying a steak at a restraunt or cooking, for some people, and they ever ask for A-1, that will be the last time I buy or cook a steak for that person.  If someone ever asks for a steak cooked longer than medium, that is the last time I buy or cook them a steak.  As people like this do not know how to enjoy a good piece of meat.

865880[/snapback]

I agree totally with you here. A little Montreal Seasoning and thats all a good steak needs on it.

If I'm buying a steak at a restraunt or cooking, for some people, and they ever ask for A-1, that will be the last time I buy or cook a steak for that person.  If someone ever asks for a steak cooked longer than medium, that is the last time I buy or cook them a steak.  As people like this do not know how to enjoy a good piece of meat.

865880[/snapback]

I would give the person a second chance--perhaps they are ignorant instead of stupid. If they ask for steak sauce to go with their medium-well steak the second time you cook it them, then I would never cook one again for them.

I like to buy Cajun Injector , Creole Butter and inject my steaks wit dat and a 3 tablespoons of Lea and Perrin's worchestshire sauce. Then I'll marinate em' overnight in Tony's and a lil' bit of beer.

I like to buy Cajun Injector , Creole Butter and inject my steaks wit dat and a 3 tablespoons of Lea and Perrin's worchestshire sauce. Then I'll marinate em' overnight in Tony's and a lil' bit of beer.

866072[/snapback]

:DThat process would make my sneaker taste good!

:D  That process would make my sneaker taste good!

866077[/snapback]

:D I ate a brick one time after the same prep werk...lil' tough but darn good flava but only when I cooked it in a GREEN EGG did it become tender.

Edited by SuperBalla

I got your bland right here buddy.  :D

I have a funny story. About 10 years ago I went to a local steak joint that had awesome steaks. I took a date, and we both ordered KC Strips. The waitress brought out the food and my date asked for some steak sauce. The waitress, an old German gal, looks at my date and says, "These are the best steaks in Kansas City. I will not bring you steak sauce." And she didn't. I laughed my ass off. Still funny to this day.

Steak sauce = a crime in my book.

864144[/snapback]

Agreed. Whatever you put steak sauce on, tates like steak sauce. This makes Ponderosa steaks edible, but no more, and a $20 top-of-the-line steak edible, but no more. Go buy a good meat from a butcher and grill it well.

I once went to a fine steakhouse, and asked for A1 just to see the look on the server's face--right before I bust out laughing.

Peace

policy

Due entirely to this thread, I had a nice 18oz Porterhouse for dinner last night. It was from a good steak place in town and was absolutely delicious. And, no, I didn't use steak sauce. I only use steak sauce if I taste the meat and it needs flavor, then I use Heinz 57, but most of the time I eat quality steaks, which require no sauce, just salt and pepper.

A little salt and pepper on all steaks, with a touch of olive oil to help acheive the sear I'm looking for.

On ribeyes in particular I like Cavendar's All-Purpose Greek Seasoning. It is a nice compliment to the natural juiciness of the cut. I use the salt-free variety. Good for many other things too.

I'll be grilling some T-bones in about an hour or so.  Not my favorite cut, but it will do in a pinch.

868768[/snapback]

You're going to have a T-Bone, then maybe we should just call you T-Bone ...

T-Bone, T-Bone, T-Bone, T-Bone !!! :D

However, we already have a T-Bone, so we'll have to call you Coco, or Gammy

• 4 months later...
for a quick, simple, good rub montreal seasoning is pretty decent.

edit:  i'd like to note that i rarely use rubs on steaks (usually on ribs or chicken).  with steaks i typically either just go with salt and pepper, and an infused oil or create a sauce for it.

863912[/snapback]

bam!

I really like Arthur Bryant's rub. You can get it over the internet. They are known for their fubs. They have rubs for meat, port, fish, you name it, they rub it.

I agree with those that are saying rubs on good steaks are not needed, and often over power the flavor of a good cut of meat.  That being said, the guy asked a question about rubs.  Not everyone can afford great cuts all of the time.  Some times a rub is appropriate. 

865880[/snapback]

Yeah.

I won't eat a steak without a little A-1 on my plate.  Get the f*ck out of here and find me that Aerosmith CD.  :D

865942[/snapback]

I hope you're talking about Salisbury or sirloin steak.

For a New York (KC) strip, filet, or (least favorite) rib eye, you've got to be kidding. If that's the case, have your "steak" in yer trailer.