[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No respect for Marvin

Ramhock

Has played 16 games, 5 of last 6 seasons. TO, once in last 6 seasons. You need your top picks on the field.

Moss, I can't trust "Tom" Collins.

Harrison's share of all that action could easily return to 100 catches and he has the best chance to catch 20 TDs. He will be seeing less double coverage, this season.

Edited by Ramhock

nothing's changed over the years. It's always been Moss, Owens and Harrison as the first three WRs off the board. Harrison is in an offense that has alot of other options...

nothing's changed over the years. It's always been Moss, Owens and Harrison as the first three WRs off the board. Harrison is in an offense that has alot of other options...

864146[/snapback]

That's always been the difference. I think Harrison is every bit as good as the other two, but because he is surrounded by a better supporting cast, MH doesn't get the credit he deserves in terms of his tools. Moss and TO shine a little brighter because they were the focal points of ther previous (and my guess is, their present) offenses.

Has played 16 games, 5 of last 6 seasons.  TO, once in last 6 seasons.  You need your top picks on the field.

Moss, I can't trust "Tom" Collins.

Harrison's share of all that action could easily return to 100 catches and he has the best chance to catch 20 TDs.  He will be seeing less double coverage, this season.

864145[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%. I think he's in for a big year with teams paying more attention to Wayne and Stokley.

I may be in the minority here, but Moss is probably the only WR I would take in the first 17 picks (I'm not even sure about that with the move to Oakland). I see too much inconsistency with Harrison and Owens (bo th had 5 games or so where they didn't make double figures).

I love Harrison too. Here are some standard stats over the last 3 years and the average for the three years. You can see that an argument can definitely be made for Marvin (especially if your league awards points per reception).

Year Team ---------------G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD

Harrison

2002 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 143 1722 12 69 11

2003 Indianapolis Colts 15 15 94 1272 14 79 10

2004 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 86 1113 13 59 15

Average ------------------ 16 16 108 1369 13 69 12

Moss

2002 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 106 1347 12 60 7

2003 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 111 1632 14 72 17

2004 Minnesota Vikings 13 13 49 767 15 82 13

Average ------------------15 15 89 1249 14 71 12

Owens

2002 San Francisco 49ers 14 14 100 1300 13 76 13

2003 San Francisco 49ers 15 15 80 1102 13 75 9

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 14 14 77 1200 15 59 14

Average --------------------14 14 86 1201 14 70 12

Edited by Puddy

I've always enjoyed watching Marvin play when he torches the defense.  Speed is a very big aspect of his game.  Has he hit his peak? The dude is 175 lbs and he will be 33 years old this season.

864190[/snapback]

Jerry Rice @ 33 years old- 122 catches, 1848 yds, 15.1 per, 15 TDs

Rice, IMO, is the best player ever. Marvin is somewhat comparable. I will note that Rice's production fell off after that season. :D

Harrison isn't the only aging receiver on the top 10 list.  Joe Horn (33), TO (32), Bruce (33), Muhammad (32), Jimmy Smith (36), and Rod Smith (35) are all getting there.

864221[/snapback]

The only receiver there on anyones top 10 list besides yours is TO & Horn.

I'm a Harrison fan because he's not a total azz like the other 2, but it should be noted his receptions & yards have both declined in each of the last 2 years. He's starting to show his age & Wayne is emerging. Comparable to Rice-Owens. The only way Harrison nears 15 TDs again is if Manning throws 50+ this season which I don't beleive will happen. My guess is Harrison around 10 TDs & Wayne breaks out as the colts #1 stud WR.

Edited by Adrenaline

I have to concur with Adrenaline.

The rapid decrease in catches and yards since the 2002 season is scary. The one stat that makes people forget about that: 15 TDs in '04. That's nice, but it came in year when his QB set a record for passing TDs. If you believe Manning can equal that production, then I guess you can expect Marvin to get plenty of those TDs again. If you paid attention to Manning's numbers down the stretch, you might not be so sure about Harrison getting double-digit TDs.

And, by the way, MV, T.O. is 31, not 32.

I don't think Marvin's numbers are declining because of his age ... I believe they are declining because Manning doesn't have to force the ball into Harrison any more. Wayne and Stokley have finally earned Mannings faith and now Manning doesn't have to throw into double and/or triple coverage on Harrison.

I have to concur with Adrenaline.

The rapid decrease in catches and yards since the 2002 season is scary. The one stat that makes people forget about that: 15 TDs in '04. That's nice, but it came in year when his QB set a record for passing TDs. If you believe Manning can equal that production, then I guess you can expect Marvin to get plenty of those TDs again. If you paid attention to Manning's numbers down the stretch, you might not be so sure about Harrison getting double-digit TDs.

And, by the way, MV, T.O. is 31, not 32.

864438[/snapback]

The player ages indicated are what age they will be during sometime during this NFL season. If they have a November or December birthday, than they will be 32 sometime during the year. I see that TO's birthday is the same as my anniversary, December 7th. Great, I'll be able to remember that the next time you call me on this. :D I'll take this opportunity to say that Bruce isn't much or any older than others that I had listed even though he's been "too old" for several years now. :D

Edited by MikesVikes

Wayne and Stokley have finally earned Mannings faith and now Manning doesn't have to throw into double and/or triple coverage on Harrison.

864452[/snapback]

One of my points, exactly. No more triple, and far less double coverage.

I've always enjoyed watching Marvin play when he torches the defense.  Speed is a very big aspect of his game.  Has he hit his peak? The dude is 175 lbs and he will be 33 years old this season.

864190[/snapback]

Marvin is the best route runner in the game, period. Yes, speed is a factor, but every single route looks the exact same until he makes his move. CB's complain all the time that they have no idea where he is going. As was said, his numbers have declined due to the offense becoming more diverse, NOT because of his age. He could still go out and catch 143 balls in a season, but that would not help the Colts win. Did you really expect his numbers to INCREASE after 2002??? Last year, he caught only 8 less balls than '03, but scored 5 more TD's. He has only missed 5 games in his entire career. Marvin is the man. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I can't help but think Marvin has peaked as a fantasy WR. There are too many weapons on that offense and IMO Manning gets his rocks off on the production of his #2 and #3 WR's. I see him settleing into a Chris Carter role: consistent as they come, but not blowing up for games with 2+ TD's and 100+ yardage

Marvin is the best route runner in the game, period.  Yes, speed is a factor, but every single route looks the exact same until he makes his move.  CB's complain all the time that they have no idea where he is going.  As was said, his numbers have declined due to the offense becoming more diverse, NOT because of his age.  He could still go out and catch 143 balls in a season, but that would not help the Colts win.  Did you really expect his numbers to INCREASE after 2002??? Last year, he caught only 8 less balls than '03, but scored 5 more TD's.  He has only missed 5 games in his entire career.  Marvin is the man. . .

864613[/snapback]

Job security is an issue however, since the team has several other great weapons in the passing game.

I would take Owens, Moss, or Johnson over Marvin.

Job security is an issue however, since the team has several other great weapons in the passing game.

864621[/snapback]

Job security??? Are you kidding??? Marvin just signed a huge contract extension. He will be a Colt for a long time. And he's still Manning's favorite.

Job security??? Are you kidding??? Marvin just signed a huge contract extension.  He will be a Colt for a long time.  And he's still Manning's favorite.

864625[/snapback]

Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley are the two main reasons Harrison’s draft stock has slipped. Harrison will never see 100+ catches again.