[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3-4 Defenses

How do you think teams that are adapting the 3-4 will fare fantasy wise. I know that a few teams like Dallas and Baltimore have switched to this scheme and I wonder if you guys think it will work out for these teams and how it affects the fantasy players on there team. For example, if the Dallas D begins to return to its 20th century form with their new athletic and young defense, should julius jones be a very valuable option for fantasy owners.

Edited by yellowcard01778

For what it's worth, the big deal made about switching from 4-3 to 3-4 or 4-6 or whatever is really overblown. In most cases a 3-4 defense is the same as a 4-3 but the extra OLB is playing standing up. That does a couple of things depending on the scheme, which is what's really important. Some coaches prefer the 3-4 because it puts more players in a position to react to the ball. If you're an athletic team that's what you'd like because it takes advantage of your strength. Other coaches go with the 3-4 because, given the right personnel, it's more conducive to putting pressure on the QB. Parcells likes size in the middle and athleticism on the outside. This allows him to attack from the corners without creating big holes in the interior. I personally like attacking defenses for FF because even if they give up some big plays they also create more sacks and turnovers and defensive points.

I agree to a point. In the 3-4, the ILB's will often have to shed blocks, because of the initial alignment of the DL. LB's like Vilma, Ray Lewis and Zach Thomas arent well suited to this scheme, when it is employed in the traditional sense. A rock solid 300 pound + NT is a real need in a 3-4, but, the bottom line is that almost every team gives both looks these days. The Jets for example, show a 3-4, but really don't run it much. The DL is still in a 4-3 alignment, whether J Abraham is up or in a stance. When they move Abraham, the DL's shift, so it's still really a 4-3, but they like to make it look like a 3-4.

http://football.about.com/cs/a/34defense.htm

The Jets use not 2 DT's, but one they call the slant nose, and the three technique. In a true 3-4, the NT lines up over center. In the Jets version, the slant nose is between the center and guard. The T-3 DT is on the guard-tackle gap on the strong side, the side with the TE. They will shift these gap coverages trying to confuse the O lineman in terms of what thier blocking assignment is. One reason the WSLB makes a lot of tackles is because he is often run at, without the run support of the technique 3 DT, and the slant nose tackle angled towards the center. This is why a really good run stopper at the weak side DE spot is important. Teams also use the over/under 4-3, which is almost a cross between the 3-4 and 4-3. The LB's shift gap assignments. The Eagles use a variation of the 46 defense too.

Hey, I don't propose to be an expert on this at all. Teams are juggling D schemes so much, it's hard to keep up and even harder to determine what the FF impact is on the IDP players. I defy anyone to tell me what the heck the Miami D will look like this year. I think they will operate out of a 3-4 look most of the time, but what they will be running when the ball is snapped is a mystery to me.

Using all these variations is why Manning looks so lost against the Pats. He just can't figure out what they are doing from one play to the next, he can't read the D. Some teams try to duplicate the Pats scheme, but you have to have the right set of players to run it successfully. This is where the copy cat D's have fallen short. It seems to me the best way to beat most of these variations is multiple WR sets, putting pressure on the DB's while having a TE mismatch against the LB's can deal mortal blows. But, you need big fast guys like Gonzo or Gates to make that work . End of ramble.

Personnel will dictate that scheme to a certain degree. The Steelers have been a 3-4 defense for quite a while. Consequently, when looking for DEs and natural NTs they select players who are going to play gap defense--they will be double teamed and their primary objective is to keep the LBs clean to get the job done. LBs will have the responsibility of flowing to the ball, reading the play and sheeding blocks, scraping to fill holes, etc.

Read this interesting quote about Greg Ellis and the 3-4 defense in this weeks Sporting News....

Cowboys RE Greg Ellis is not happy about the shift to the 3-4 because it forces him to play heads up against tackles who outweigh him by 30-40 lbs.  Ellis is at his best lined up on the outside shoulder of the tight end, where he can use his quickness and take advantage of angles to make plays against the run or pressure the qb.  Ellis is one of the leaders on defense and won't be a problem but for the 3-4 to work in Dallas, all of the players must buy into the scheme.

Another note about the 3-4 and Dat Nguyen...

Cowboys MLB Dat Nguyen is an excellent player in the 4-3 scheme, in which he is protected by the defensive tackles.  Nguyen is at his best when he slithers through holes along the offensive line and makes plays in the backfield.  He can do that when he doesn't have to engage blockers.  But he must prove he can play inside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme, which will provide much less protection.  He'll have to be physical, take on blockers and still make tackles.

Sounds like it may take the Cowboys some time to get adjusted to this 3-4.

Edited by myhousekey