[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alexander won't sign tender

CaP'N GRuNGe

-- Alexander Refuses to Sign Franchise Tender --

Mon Jul 4, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Seattle Times reports RB Shaun Alexander's message came through loud and clear. He won't play for the Seahawks unless he gets a long-term contract, but he remains confident that will happen. Otherwise, Alexander is prepared to sit and wait, even into the regular season. Alexander said signing the team's $6.32 million franchise tender is "out of the question." When asked if it will come down to not playing without a long-term deal, he replied, "Pretty much, yeah." "I'm pretty strong about my principles," the Seahawks Pro Bowl running back said yesterday at the Adonai Hood Classic basketball tournament at Seattle's Garfield High School. "We're all under the same understanding. It's not like a bitter thing. I've told them that I love playing for Seattle. To me, it's not about money, it's just about a principle." Alexander refuted any notion he and HC Mike Holmgren have a strained relationship, in part because Alexander fell 2 yards short of the NFL rushing title last season. Still he seems intent on standing fast, despite the fact he wants to be in Seattle and the team has expressed a desire to keep him. The Seahawks gave Alexander the franchise tag this offseason to keep him from becoming a free agent. Alexander wanted to have his contract extended earlier in his career, he said. The Seahawks are forbidden to reopen negotiations with Alexander until July 15, per NFL rules. Until then, Alexander will wait. He is high on the roster additions made by new team president Tim Ruskell, but has informed Holmgren of his convictions regarding a new contract. "I honestly believe that they're going to make a great deal for me," Alexander said. "I'm going to end up signing and it's going to be no big deal. [but] I'm not naive to think that you can make a deal like that overnight."

I didn't expect him to sign the tender. Seattle will end up paying him the $$$ before camp. Holmgen knows the window's only got about two years left, and he's got a billionaire owner to back him up. There's no way Seattle comes out of camp with Alexander un-signed.

Here we go again with another wacky NFL contract despute!  :D

864403[/snapback]

Yep. I think this particular dance is called the "Walter Jones Two Step", It goes a little somethin' like this:

Alexander: I will not sign the tender. I want a long term contract.

Holmgren: But we won't talk to you about a long term contract until you sign the tender.

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Yep. I think this particular dance is called the "Walter Jones Two Step", It goes a little somethin' like this:

Alexander: I will not sign the tender. I want a long term contract.

Holmgren: But we won't talk to you about a long term contract until you sign the tender.

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

864487[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D:D

I didn't expect him to sign the tender. Seattle will end up paying him the $$$ before camp. Holmgen knows the window's only got about two years left, and he's got a billionaire owner to back him up. There's no way Seattle comes out of camp with Alexander un-signed.

864350[/snapback]

the Hawks are f*cked against the salary cap.... don't be so sure there. :D .... they broke the bank for Hasselbeck & Jones.

the Hawks are f*cked against the salary cap.... don't be so sure there. :D  .... they broke the bank for Hasselbeck & Jones.

864787[/snapback]

Alexanders tender, I believe, already counts against the cap because he is the franchise player. Since that money counts against the cap, a new deal may actually help them this year.

If he is $6 million against the cap now, but signs a 5 year deal with say a $12 million bonus, only 12/5 of that bonus goes against the cap this year, plus his 1st year salary.

I think it's better for Seattle to sign him sooner than later. If anyone else gets a new deal between now and then (Jamal Lewis), it may raise Alexander's expectations.

Alexanders tender, I believe, already counts against the cap because he is the franchise player.  Since that money counts against the cap, a new deal may actually help them this year.

If he is $6 million against the cap now, but signs a 5 year deal with say a $12 million bonus, only 12/5 of that bonus goes against the cap this year, plus his 1st year salary.

I think it's better for Seattle to sign him sooner than later.  If anyone else gets a new deal between now and then (Jamal Lewis), it may raise Alexander's expectations.

864820[/snapback]

I understand that but I believe they're only like 1 mil under the cap. :D that's not alotta room to move. I dunno...... you need a doctorate @ the london school of economics to understand the ins & outs of the NFL pay structure...... I'm sure there's a way to get it done, but it won't be easy.

Alexanders tender, I believe, already counts against the cap because he is the franchise player.  Since that money counts against the cap, a new deal may actually help them this year.

864820[/snapback]

That's a great point, and assuming it's correct, the Hawks should have plenty of room to sign Alexander to a long term megabucks deal. I won't be surprised if they get it done on or soon after July 15.

That's a great point, and assuming it's correct, the Hawks should have plenty of room to sign Alexander to a long term megabucks deal.  I won't be surprised if they get it done on or soon after July 15.

864890[/snapback]

I dunno. For my money, I would give up a 3rd rounder, obtain the services of Travis Henry, sign him to half the money and let Saun walk.

Alexander will be 29 years of age on August 30th as well. With Henry more than a year younger, along with being a more cost-effective option, I wouldn't give in to Shaun IMHO.

If he sits, he forfeits Millions. I don't see him being stupid enough to miss any regular season games, period. Pre-season is one thing, losing a huge game-check is another.

I dunno.  For my money, I would give up a 3rd rounder, obtain the services of Travis Henry, sign him to half the money and let Saun walk. 

Alexander will be 29 years of age on August 30th as well.  With Henry more than a year younger, along with being a more cost-effective option, I wouldn't give in to Shaun IMHO. 

If he sits, he forfeits Millions.  I don't see him being stupid enough to miss any regular season games, period.  Pre-season is one thing, losing a huge game-check is another.

864900[/snapback]

I like Henry & think that he really could help a team out, but please...Henry couldn't carry the bag Alexander's jock strap came in. He's one of the top backs in the league & Seattle would be up the creek completely without him. Seattle & Holmgren are fools if they think otherwise.

Edited by rajncajn

I like Henry & think that he really could help a team out, but please...Henry couldn't carry the bag Alexander's jock strap came in. He's one of the top backs in the league & Seattle would be up the creek completely without him. Seattle & Holmgren are fools if they think otherwise.

865056[/snapback]

Agreed. Don't mess this up. Henry is a different type of runner than Alexander and won't be as successful.

I think Seattle will do the right thing here. Holmgren's got to be on the clock up there--any Seahawks homers know if the natives are getting restless with coach? If I am Holmgren, I know "there but for the grace of Shaun Alexander go I" and I make the deal on the 15th.

Edited by Ruffian

It's not in any franchise players' interests to accept the franchise tender until at least July 15th. They have nothing to gain by doing so. The franchise player tender is in place, it's guaranteed. That's now the floor for new negotiations.

The player cannot negotiate with his team for a long-term deal until after July 15th. So, why would he give up the opportunity to do so and accept the franchise tag?

When training camp rolls around, and it becomes obvious that no other team is willing to pay top dollar AND give up 2 first round draft picks, then the negotiations start in earnest.

Based on what Rudi Johnson and LaMont Jordan got this offseason (neither of whom are as good as Alexander), I think Alexander should get something like 5-yrs, $32 million with about $16 guaranteed. It'll probably be a bit back-end loaded - maybe something like a $2.5, 2.5, 3.5, 3.5, 4 salary progression. So, he'd count about $5.7 million against the cap this year.

No doubt in my mind that this gets done before the end of the month.

I think Seattle will do the right thing here. Holmgren's got to be on the clock up there--any Seahawks homers know if the natives are getting restless with coach? If I am Holmgren, I know "there but for the grace of Shaun Alexander go I" and I make the deal on the 15th.

865141[/snapback]

This is Holmgren's 8th season, and has zero playoff wins. It's not a matter of natives being restless, but Paul Allen being restless with 7 to 9 wins.

Alexander wants a huge contract, the Seahawks may or may not offer him one. I'll be curious to see.