[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Receptions

I think that receptions shouldn't count in most leagues just because you want to have your running backs be the most productive and consistent player on your team. For instance, throughout a season a great WR gets 90 receptions and a great RB gets 30 catches. If receptions are worth 1 point, and TD's are worth 6 points, the WR is adding 10 touchdowns to his stats, which is way too much for a WR. There should be a reason why RB's are taken in the first couple rounds. Does anybody else think otherwise? I'm just wondering why receptions are so valuable to be worth something in a fantasy league.

receptions :D

Edited by yellowcard01778

I like counting receptions but you also have to realize that it makes certain RB's more valuable. LT had 100 receptions 2-years ago, think that is valuable in that type of scoring? Guys like Jamal Lewis and Corey Dillon drop down a notch but I believe it doesn't make RB's less valuable but it does make the stud WR's more valuable.

I am sure this doesn't answer your question, but if you don't like the rule don't use it in your league.

I don't like points for receptions. I don't really care how it skews the value of the positions.

A back (or anyone else for that matter) that catches a swing pass and doesn't gain a yard should not get a point, or even a .5.

We use points for reception and I actually like it. Exactly what Men in Tights said. It hasn't changed the fact that RB's go 1st long before WR's. WR's are just not as reliable even when getting points for receptions.

I like using points for receptions, but we only use them for WR and TE. RB do not get any points for receptions. This really evens things up between top running backs and top receivers and makes draft positions very interesting.

I'm in a couple of dynasty leagues that award reception points as follows:

.5 pts/rec for RBs

1.0 pts/rec for WR

2.0 pts/rec for TE

This does a lot to equalize the relative value of the three positions. Giving half a point to the RBs keeps the numbers in check for the big pass catching RBs--otherwise (assuming a full point per reception) the value of players like LT and Tiki would be insane. Stud WRs end up being worth about as much as the top RBs. And the value of top TEs like Gonzo and Gates (which for lineup purposes we lump with WRs) is obviously very high.

It may not be a perfect system for awarding points for receptions, but we've used it for several seasons, and it works well.

Like all of us, I enjoying racking up big points every week, but I think some leagues really go overboard on the categories for scoring. Receptions is one area I don't like. Points for LENGTH of scores is another. Some of the defensive categories get carried away too. :D JMHO.

FWIW, Im my league we provide for a +2 pt reception bonus should the WR achieve 6 receptions in one game..then the bonus scales by 1 pt for each additional 2 receptions in that game. No reception bonus for any other postion. Over the years we have tried to tweak our system so that it equalizes the postions somewhat (see Huddle Perfect Scoring System).

If a w/r takes the ball on a reverse or whatever, does he get rushing yds. I think most leagues score that way, why not give r/b 1pt. for a reception. If you're going to be giving the point up to w/rs you should also give it to every other position. Gives more value to some r/bs and more strategy in the draft.

As far as scoring; 2 pts. when the rec. gets 6 rec. and an extra 4.5 on the fifth Sunday of the month when the sky is blue and the sun is red. I think keeping it simple is the way to go. If I need an accounting firm to figure my FF score on Monday, it's a little too complicated.

If a w/r takes the ball on a reverse or whatever, does he get rushing yds. I think most leagues score that way, why not give r/b 1pt. for a reception. If you're going to be giving the point up to w/rs you should also give it to every other position. Gives more value to some r/bs and more strategy in the draft.

As far as scoring; 2 pts. when the rec. gets 6 rec. and an extra 4.5 on the fifth Sunday of the month when the sky is blue and the sun is red. I think keeping it simple is the way to go. If I need an accounting firm to figure my FF score on Monday, it's a little too complicated.

Do you award pts for rush. attempts? If so I would think that it equals itself out, unless of course you have K. Robinson on your team :doah:

I do like the idea of receptions. It makes the receiving game a little more interesting and definately makes drafting more interesting. True, points for everything under the sun is a bit much, but receptions can definately turn a ff game around. :D

865041[/snapback]

Do you get extra points per post? Is that why it is posted twice?:D

The main leagues I am in give a point for a reception no matter who gets it, RB/WR/TE ... or QB. I like it. :D

Don't you? :D

865669[/snapback]

I try to keep all my posts filled with insightful and relavant data, not succumbing to the need to increase my post numbers with useless drivil over items not relavant to the topic ... :D .... oh ... never mind. :D

I try to keep all my posts filled with insightful and relavant data, not succumbing to the need to increase my post numbers with useless drivil over items not relavant to the topic ...  :D  .... oh ... never mind. :D

865670[/snapback]

You seem very insightful and I would hang onto every word you've written if I really cared newb. I don't know if you really even understood the post but hey whatever :D

I am a big fan of receptions.

We give...

RB

.6/reception - .05/yard

WR

.5/reception - .05/yard

TE

.6/reception - .07/yard

We also have legnth of TD as well.

Something fun that we did last year was to give a QB a point for every completion and -1 point for every attempt. It definately gave a boost to accurate QBs

Reception points do certainly add value to WR's. There is no way I woulda dropped Hines Ward toward the end of the season last year if we were getting points for receptions. There are some possession WR's who benefit greatly since they don't end up in the endzone as often as others.

It does skew players like Gonzo and Gates though (especially in a TE required league), but my argument against that when someone goes for Gonzo or Gates they have to do it in round 3 or 4 and then their next RB or WR pick suffers from that ... and even more so in a 12-14-16 team league ... so unless your drafting with a bunch of 1stimers then it all evens out.

you want to have your running backs be the most productive and consistent player on your team.

This is the question a league needs to answer for themselves. If you _want_ a league dominated by RB, by all means don't give points per reception. It's the same with the TE mandatory - there's no "better" method, it's about figuring out what you want to be an important factor to winning. For example, my local has always wanted to have 2 "tiers" of players:

1. QB, RB, WR

2. TE, PK, DEF

The goal of the league is to make the first tier positions the crucial ones to winning. The scoring and rules reflect this - Tier 1 positions easily outscore Tier 2 positions. All of the Tier 1's are pretty close (QB's have a slight edge, in particular the top QB's), and Tier 2 all score around the same.

We also decided we wanted our league to be about more than "who can draft the most/best RB and stash them on their roster all year". We went with a Run-'n'-Shoot lineup option where you could start a 3rd WR instead of a 2nd RB. We also award .5 points per reception (rounded up) for WR and TE only. This saw a significant increase in demand for Tier 2 WR, and now ou could actually remain competitive in the league if you didn't draft RB RB RB or had an injury to your stub RB.

Lastly, since we're a league of close friends, it was important that teams struggling early have a reasonable chance to get competitive later in the season. We keep very small rosters (leaving alot of talent on the waiver wire). We limit each owner to 9 pickups all year and 1 in any given week (prevents taking every viable player at once to lock someone out). Finally, we have a rule, named after the owner that incessently bitched about bad luck w/ injuries, that says "if one of an owner's first 3 picks gets hurt, they may invoke the <owner's name> rule. This allows the owner to automatically move to the front of the waiver wire that week, regardless of his normal pickup position, drop said injured player, and pickup someone at the same position. The owner keeps his "normal" pickup, but at the end of the normal pickup order. This was put in place after the owner picked Jamal and Vinny as his first 2 picks the year both got hurt in the 1st (2nd) weeks and were gone for the season. Losing an early draft pick is devastating to a lineup, and this just helped ease that a little bit. Worthy to note it's only been used 6 times total (8 owners x 3 picks x 5 years it's been in play = 120 potential uses), and none have won the league the year they won it, but the times it's been used have helped the owner remain competitive, thus involved and having fun.

Back to the point. The key is to identify what you want your league to be about (a mission statement, so to speak) and modify the rules around it. There is no "best" scoring system, only a "best" defined value set.

of coarse receptions must count. Most FF stats must be counted. If you don't like receptions you'll hate IDP. I'm of the personal opinion that IDP FF players are more knowledgeable football fans...the more statistical scoring the better.

If you don't like it join a TD only league with the rest of the casual fair weather fans.