[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Index - 2005

Big Talker

Got the new Fantasy Football Index a few days ago. It's not what it used to be in terms of stature (only because there is so much more competition these days), but IMO FF Index is still the best written and most thorough FF mag out there (okay, next to DMD's :D ).

Obligatory disclaimer alert: it's only a magazine, you still need to do research right up to your draft date, and you're unwise in the extreme if you depend on a mag published in late June to get you through a draft conducted in August or September or even July. That said, FF Index is still an excellent read, its analysis is usually sensible, and IMO it's one of the very few FF mags out there that's actually worth the money.

Here are some of the more interesting tidbits from this year's edition (obligatory disclaimer #2: I don't necessarily agree with any of them!):

1. Tatum Bell the #3 RB (gutsy call if nothing else)

2. Holt the #1 WR

3. Manning the #2 overall pick (no way, unless he throws for 60 TDs)

4. Steve Smith the #10 WR (too high for my tastes considering he's coming back from an injury and Muhammad is gone)

5. Jamal Lewis the #17 RB

6. Fitzgerald the #15 WR and Boldin at #27 (I'd reverse their positions, at least)

7. Palmer the #12 QB

Here are some of the more interesting tidbits from this year's edition (obligatory disclaimer #2: I don't necessarily agree with any of them!):

1. Tatum Bell the #3 RB (gutsy call if nothing else)

2. Holt the #1 WR

3. Manning the #2 overall pick (no way, unless he throws for 60 TDs)

4. Steve Smith the #10 WR (too high for my tastes considering he's coming back from an injury and Muhammad is gone)

6. Fitzgerald the #15 WR and Boldin at #27 (I'd reverse their positions, at least)

7. Palmer the #12 QB

865240[/snapback]

1. That's nutty.

2. I could see that. Owens may hold out, Moss will have to contend with Porter, Collins at QB and rabid Raider fans. Harrison will take from Wayne and vice versa. Walker may hold out. CJ is overrated. Decent call here.

3. 6-point TDs? If so, why not? Alexander might not even suit up in 2005.

4. Supposedly Smith is 100%. I don't think this is too big of a reach.

5. Way, way... wayyyyy too low. Wow. They have Bell at #3 and Lewis at #17? #17 OVERALL or #17 RB? Either way, screwwy.

6. I agree with the switching - Boldin's a far better choice.

7. That's far too low, even not being a Palmer fan.

:D

All could happen but like you, I think #6 is not likely. I would be shocked if Fitz is that much higher than Boldin, although there's not much seperation between those spots in many years.

Even though I don't agree with the Bell call, great to see a differing opinion. I can imagine the argument they put forth, and I have to admit it's one you could make. Might have to pick that one up.

My bad!! Forgot to mention that DMD got a lot of good press in this year's edition.

Maybe it's common knowledge here, but in case not: David won *both* the 2004 FF Index Experts Poll competion (against 24 other FF ekspurts) and the 2004 FF Index Mock Draft league (against 11 others).

Major kudos to DMD and the huddle!! :D

1. Crazy if only because their ease of schedule is at the bottom and the new rule change on the chop block.

5. Again crazy IMO. Jamal is just hitting his prime and that's all they do is run. Even if Boller is the next coming of Elway( :D ) Jamal will get his. Top 5 IMO.

The rest seem highly feasible except for the Steve Smith call. Injury, small. I see Kolbert being a huge surprise fantasy-wise.

I haven't seen it on any shelves yet. I like the game by game stats that it has on the team pages and I like the stats in one handy area. I happened to get the FBG mag and last year I bought two mags before the FFI came out. No matter how many other mags I get, I'll always need the FFI each year. So I might as well not get any others.

Agree with your views on the Index. Plus, I have loyalty to that rag, just because it was the best thing out there for fantasy football in the "add up the scores from Monday's USA Today" days.

DMD also wrote the fine article on the offensive lines in the Index ...

Ian mentioned somewhere in there that he hates top 100 lists, because it all depends on too many variables, and so he reluctantly publishes a Top 25 on his cheat sheet because people want it. I have no problem with Manning being the second-best fantasy prospect on the board after LT2. Whether it's good strategy to take him there is another question.

As for federal inmate 55612-019, his low ranking was based on that he's only averaged 11 yards per game receiving the last two years, and he's only scored 28 TDs in his last 44 games. In fact, when you look at the stats in the back of the book, you see that Lewis ranked 24th last year for RBs in total yards per start (12/93.5).

They also seem to overrate a Denver player every year. Last year, the Index had Rod Smith as their No. 3 WR ....

Agree with your views on the Index. Plus, I have loyalty to that rag, just because it was the best thing out there for fantasy football in the "add up the scores from Monday's USA Today" days.

DMD also wrote the fine article on the offensive lines in the Index ...

Ian mentioned somewhere in there that he hates top 100 lists, because it all depends on too many variables, and so he reluctantly publishes a Top 25 on his cheat sheet because people want it. I have no problem with Manning being the second-best fantasy prospect on the board after LT2. Whether it's good strategy to take him there is another question.

As for federal inmate 55612-019, his low ranking was based on that he's only averaged 11 yards per game receiving the last two years, and he's only scored 28 TDs in his last 44 games. In fact, when you look at the stats in the back of the book, you see that Lewis ranked 24th last year for RBs in total yards per start (12/93.5).

They also seem to overrate a Denver player every year. Last year, the Index had Rod Smith as their No. 3 WR ....

865380[/snapback]

jamal also left a game in week 11 after logging two carries...first game back..in week 14 he only logged 8 carries in a game where chester taylor went for over 100 yards on 25 carries....and in the last 3 weeks of the year he punished the colts and dolphins

id love to play in a league with the guys from this magazine, where i could get jamal lewis in the mid to late 2nd round

865349[/snapback]

After taking Brady in the first? :D:D

865380[/snapback]

Smith was actually the #4 WR in last year's FF Index rankings, but you make a good point that they sometimes overrate Denver players.

Agreed, too, with what you said about Manning. He may well be the 2nd best fantasy player after LT, but no way I'm taking him at that spot (personally, I would try to trade down and grab him a little later, assuming I really wanted him).

I haven't seen it on any shelves yet. 

865361[/snapback]

I got mine in the mail, as I do every year. It generally hits the newstands a few days to a week after I get it that way, so you should be seeing it very soon.

865240[/snapback]

And the honor of the best fantasy football magazine, IMHO will now have to got to Lindy's. It was a great decade for the fantasy football index but all good things must come to and end. Might as well call Pearl Jam the best American Rock band ever. A 2nd or possibly 3rd round pick, go with that. :D

Guess you just saved me $8.00 or $9.00, thanks.

I don't agree with Lewis at #17 either (DMD's #11 ranking seems more realistic), but the thing I like about it anyway is that they're willing to take heat for going against conventional thinking (and not without reason, given some of the points that DMD cites, such as Lewis' low receiving yards, traditionally low TD totals, and his reduced production in '04). Really, all FF Index is saying is that Lewis is a good #2 RB rather than a somewhat iffy #1. But hey, I'm glad you saved yourself some money.