[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basic auction question

Big F'n Dave

Thinking of converting my local league to an auction format and I have one simple question: How do owners who blow their wads early round out their rosters? :D

We madee a spreadsheet that tracks everyone's money. At the bottom of each team is the max bid amount. It is their remaining money minus the minimum bid for the remaining roster spots. I have'nt seen any of the auction programs, but they probably have something similar. This ensures that they will have a complete roster.

Hey Dave, my league does a sort of modified auction. We keep 4 from the previous season then do 6 to 7 rounds of auction bidding. After that, we use a serpentine draft in reverse order from last year's standings, at $1000/player for several rounds until all teams have full rosters. This gives the opportunity to pick up guys with upside relatively cheap and still allows guys to blow the majority of their cash early on or just on the guys they really wanted. Hope this helps.

If you'd like, I can send you the results from the last 4 years of our auction drafts (Excel spreadsheet). PM me your email address if you want it.

12 team perf league. We switched to an auction draft in 2001, and added a 3-player keeper system in 2003.

Thinking of converting my local league to an auction format and I have one simple question: How do owners who blow their wads early round out their rosters? :D

867104[/snapback]

Dave, the guys who spend all their money early (I use the word SPEND rather than BLOW as it depends on what value they are getting) :D will have to sit and wait until everyone is down to their spending level.

We use a $200 CAP for a 20 player roster. Minimum bid is $1. We take turns throwing out players (order of finish from previous year) so at th end of the auction guys are throwing out $1 players to fill their rosters out. :D

If you haven't done so already make sure you read the auction articles on the main page. They are full of great advice. :D

My experience has been that USUALLY the first Stud thrown out in a position especially RB will have the best value. For your first auction make sure you have a game plan and stick to it. Just like runs on positions happen in drafts...owners tend to panic and overpay for players as they perceive a lack of players in that position avaliable. Don't get caught up on over paying for players. If you have LT2 at $60 or less don't spend $65 for him! It is easy to say I bid $61 so $63 is only $2 more dollars and I can spend less on my back up QB...pretty soon your up to $71 and your well laid plans are toast and when you want to spend $$ on a player that is way below what you would have paid for him and you get outbid by $1 cuase you don't have CAP space left you'll be kicking yourself. :D

My plan can vary from year to year as do other owners (Our league has been auction for 5 years). Once you figure out what other guys are trying to accomplish you can adapt pretty quicky. I have always have a plan B ready just incase certian owners are trying to set the tone of the auction.

I have won the league getting the 2 out of the top tier RB's and 1 top tier WR and ST/D. Unless you want Manning or C-Pep, I am never a big believer in paying top money for a QB (two years ago I paid $18 for Manning and last year he went for $55. I have also won by letting every one spend their money early and picking a team with 2nd and 3rd tier rated players. One year I spent $180 on 5 players. :doah: I sat and waited a long time to finally buy the rest of my team. When you have $20 to buy 15 players the rest of the owners can and will outbid you! :D I won the league so I had the last laugh :D:D

Make sure you pay attention to the entire draft as things move quickly. Once you go auction you will never go back. :D

Guest THEbigred

What trr and ralph said.

We tried last year (first) saying "if you max out then you're done drafting till everyone else's rosters are filled" ie pick up scrubs later but then those people it applied to lost interest.

This year we will only draft for 1st half of rosters. The 2d half will be a normal snake draft.

867104[/snapback]

Usually enough people are going to spend a very high percentage of their budget early on... and then you might have a couple of stragglers that wait to spend their money on Wayne Chrebet and Mike Alstott (good for them).

Don't worry about blowing your stack on studs up front. There will be plenty of players to round out your roster for $1 a piece in the later rounds... trust me!

Guest THEbigred
Don't worry about blowing your stack on studs up front.  There will be plenty of players to round out your roster for $1 a piece in the later rounds... trust me!

870642[/snapback]

Yeah. Guys like Alstott and Chrebet. :D

I'm all for grabbing a stud or 3 up front, but if you don't have patience, you will not be likely to win your league. IMO.

Guys this isn't a strategy question.

The essential answer to your question is the rule that an owner must have at least one dollar for every unfilled roster spot.

It is impossible to blow your whole wad. (i.e. if your cap is 200 and you have 15 man rosters-- The most anyone could pay for one player is $186 )