[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Many members of my League against AUCTION!

Undefeated72

My league was resistant at first as well. I had one other owner who was solidly on my side (out of 12 total owners). Between the two of us, we convinced the league to try an auction draft with the caveat that if it wasn't going well, or if people didn't like it after an hour or so, we'd scrap it and start over with a serpentine draft.

Everyone loved it from the moment we started, so it was never an issue.

Auction requires more of everything - thought, preparation etc.

You can't just show up to the draft with a top 100 list prepared by someone else.

My guess is that they are either: 1) not hardcore about ff; or 2) lazy.

Not a criticism. Just a guess.

My league was resistant at first as well.  I had one other owner who was solidly on my side (out of 12 total owners).  Between the two of us, we convinced the league to try an auction draft with the caveat that if it wasn't going well, or if people didn't like it after an hour or so, we'd scrap it and start over with a serpentine draft. 

Everyone loved it from the moment we started, so it was never an issue.

869515[/snapback]

Right on the money. It doesn't take any longer than a normal draft. As a matter of fact, we changed last year to an auction and it took less time than the normal serpentine. Each owner gets an opportunity at all of the players which is a huge plus, and it rewards those that do more homework and are prepared than those that just show up.

I had the same problem with my league until I jsut said tough this is what we are doing (I was the commish) and if you don't like I'll find new owners. (Hardcore but it worked). Now I would not be able to go back to a normal draft. In fact the owners in my league are trying to convince their other leagues to go auction.

When you have the abiltiy to choose any player(s) you want and you have to stay active the entire time it makes the draft that much more exciting.

Maybe you can compromise and Auction off the first 4 rounds of players then go to a serpintine draft. Say take the top (4 times the number of owners you have) players from the Huddle rankings and have the owners throw out players from that list. It will give them the flavor of an auction and since they know who they will be bidding on before hand they can prepare. It will not be a TRUE auction but it might set the hook.

I had the same problem with my league until I jsut said tough this is what we are doing (I was the commish) and if you don't like I'll find new owners. (Hardcore but it worked).  Now I would not be able to go back to a normal draft.  In fact the owners in my league are trying to convince their other leagues to go auction. 

When you have the abiltiy to choose any player(s) you want and you have to stay active the entire time it makes the draft that much more exciting.

Maybe you can compromise and Auction off the first 4 rounds of players then go to a serpintine draft.  Say take the top (4 times the number of owners you have) players from the Huddle rankings and have the owners throw out players from that list.  It will give them the flavor of an auction and since they know who they will be bidding on before hand they can prepare.  It will not be a TRUE auction but it might set the hook.

869719[/snapback]

I would think the problem with that would be once you start the auction, theymay not want to finish it with a snake draft...which would not be a bad thing.

Good luck getting the switch. I remember I had to copy articles and e-mail it to my league members on the benefits of an auction. Many can be found on this website, which is where I got a majority of them from. I just had to be a pain in the rear and keep talking about it every 5 minutes to get people pumped about it. When it was finally decided we'd made the switch, I felt like I won the presidential election. Campaign hard my friend.

Guest THEbigred

OK DMD......where is that article you had, time to drag it out and dust it off! It was a good one (helped convince my league).

Anyway....

1 - Does not take longer, on avg takes slightly less time if anything (PS what the flip is the rush anyway)

2 - No "hurry up and pick" BS. You're involved in getting or not getting EVERY player. It's all YOUR choice, not luck of the draw. This IMO makes it 100 times more interesting the WHOLE way through, not just when your pick nears. The excitement of bids flying around, etc....how can it not be more lively?

3 - More angles/strategies to it (although it's not like it's 10 times harder)

4 - Only about 99% of all people who try it like it way better than the old style. Hello.

Sounds like they're either afraid of change or just lame, frankly.

EDIT: found DMD's article:

http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/02auction.php

Edited by THEbigred