[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling Out Seahawks, Falcons, Chargers, Vikes

spain

Calling out the fans of teams who have very apathetic fan bases. Yes, I am talking to you Falcon Fan. And you Seahawk Fan. And you Vikings Fan. And you Charger Fan. You who only support your team in good times. Take a look at what a real fan base does following a 5 win season and with prospects for the coming year even worse:

Friday, 07/08/05

Losses not slowing Titans interest

Tickets are expected to go just as fast tomorrow

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Just like previous years, Titans fans have already set up tents outside the Coliseum.

Just like previous years, the phones there and at Ticketmaster outlets have been ringing, with callers asking when single-game tickets will be available.

And just like previous years, those tickets aren't expected to last long when they go on sale at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Despite a 5-11 record last season and forecasts of more gloom this season, Titans officials don't expect to have any problems selling out the Coliseum for the seventh year in a row.

"Whether it will sell out in 27 minutes or 37 minutes, it varies from year to year," said Marty Collins, the team's director of ticket operations. "But based on what we have seen from our season ticket renewals and people still being interested, I would expect we'd have a similar result to what we've had in the past as to how quick the tickets will sell.''

Since the Titans moved into the Coliseum in 1999 all 63 games — 48 regular season, 12 preseason and three playoff — have been sellouts.

Approximately 3,000 tickets for each of the eight regular season games and two preseason games go on sale tomorrow at prices ranging from $27-$66, but the majority are in the $27-$47 range. Last year tickets to the regular-season games sold out in 18 minutes.

Tickets to the Sept. 18 game against longtime rival Baltimore and the Oct. 2 game against AFC South rival Indianapolis are expected to go fast, though several fans outside the Coliseum yesterday said the Oct. 30 game against Oakland and superstar receiver Randy Moss is high on the list as well.

In recent years most of the tickets were sold over the Internet. Only 4 percent of the approximately 3,000 single-game tickets last season were sold at the Coliseum, but that didn't keep fans from showing up yesterday.

About a dozen people were in line by noon, including Bon Aqua's John Presley and Dickson's Jennifer Dorman, who were first in line.

"It can get hot out here, but if you get the tickets you want it is worth it,'' said Presley, 21. "I think it will sell out just as fast this year. Being first in line, I'm guaranteed to get the tickets I want.''

After making the playoffs in four of their first five seasons in the Coliseum, last year the Titans had their worst season since the franchise moved from Houston to Nashville in 1997.

A 5-11 record put the Titans in the AFC South basement behind Indianapolis, Jacksonville and Houston. The Titans went 2-6 at home and there were thousands of empty seats for the final home games.

Then in February the Titans released several star players, including receiver Derrick Mason, cornerback Samari Rolle and defensive end Kevin Carter, in a cost-cutting wave.

One national magazine, The Sporting News, predicts the Titans will go 3-13 this fall and most preseason publications have the Titans finishing last in the AFC South.

But fans have yet to abandon ship. The season-ticket renewal rate this year was 98.2 percent — the third-highest since the team began playing in the Coliseum — and capacity has been increased to 69,153 with the addition of about 200 seats in the suite level.

Season tickets are still in the 60,000 range and about 6,000 tickets are distributed to suite holders, sponsors, visiting teams and players, leaving around 3,000 tickets for sale tomorrow.

Baker Koppelman, director of ticket operations for the Baltimore Ravens, said numbers like that will keep the demand high no matter the team's record. Baltimore's season-ticket base is roughly 63,000 in 69,084-seat M&T Bank Stadium.

The Ravens have sold out every home game for the past nine years, even after a 7-9 season just two years removed from winning the Super Bowl. Ravens officials said about 1,000 single-game tickets will be for sale beginning July 29.

"The way I look at it from the standpoint of individual tickets is no matter how good or bad you are, if your percentage of individual tickets is 10 percent or less, you are probably going to sell out no matter what, even if you are 0-16,'' Koppelman said.

"You don't want to be in a situation where fans can be like, 'Hey, I can wait. I can get a ticket at the last minute.' You want that perception that tickets are going to go immediately and if you don't get them now you are not going to get in. … That's the way it is here and that is similar to what you have in Nashville.''

Titans officials are expecting fans to flood the Internet tomorrow morning since 56 percent of the single-game tickets last year were sold online. Buying tickets at Ticketmaster locations such as Kroger and Hecht's was the second-most popular option (31 percent), followed by phone sales (9 percent) and Coliseum ticket windows (4 percent).

The countdown to the season opener is two months away, but for some fans it all starts tomorrow.

"I know a lot of people are down on the Titans and aren't expecting much this year,'' said William Sutton, 18, who shared a tent at the Coliseum with his brother, Joseph.

"But I'll be with them. If they are sorry, I'll still stick with them and I think most people feel the same way.'' •

the Browns have been sold out since coming back in '99. Now THAT'S dedication

869444[/snapback]

Yep! The Browns obviously have a great fan base. Just like Tennessee. And of course, Nashville is one of the smallest markets in the league. Atlanta, which is about 10 time larger, couldnt sell out a game until Mr Blank started giving out tix. Seattle is too stoned to care. The Viqueens are so obcessed with their Packer Envy, they forget to go their own games. The Chargers fans are all surfing or running from the INS.

the Browns have been sold out since coming back in '99. Now THAT'S dedication

869444[/snapback]

I feel that both you and us Lions fans are cut from the same cloth.

I feel that both you and us Lions fans are cut from the same cloth.

869465[/snapback]

I hope to God you are talking about the browns and not the Titans... :D

I hope to God you are talking about the browns and not the Titans... :D

869490[/snapback]

Yes I am. But why would that bother you if I was talking about the Titans? Lions fans, although delusional at times, are SUPER FANS. There is no doubt that Detroit is a LIONS town. The Wings, Pistons, Tigers could win 5 Championships in a row all at the same time and it would pail in comparison if the Lions were to win one Super Bowl.

Being a Seahawk fan has never come easy :D . Nothing comes easy for this franchise. But even through the thick and thin I am a fan and will always be a Hawk at heart. This year I expect a pretty average season. Dont think they will make the playoffs but that doesn't mean I will be rooting for them any less. Hamlin has become my favorite player he is tenatious and perhaps some of the new blood and young draft picks will spark some kick asstrick attitude. :D What was the question again?? :D

My Aunt has been to several NFL stadiums for away games and insist the Titan fans are by far the nicest she's seen. I also like the fact that they changed the team name from Oilers and started their own history.

She also laughs every time she remembers the look on their face when the Ravens knocked them out of the playoffs in 2000, only their 2nd home loss ever at the time (Ravens where the 1st also).

Nashville has gone from nothing (in the world of pro sports) to having the Titans and Predators in a few years. Not bad. Now go win something.

You could probably group jag fans in here too. I'll actually get to kick off the year watching the Hawks wax the jags. Can't wait for football to start. Normally only watch them play live about twice a year being down here in FL. Don't the Hawks play in Nashville this year? :D hmmm... roadtrip maybe.

You could probably group jag fans in here too. I'll actually get to kick off the year watching the Hawks wax the jags. Can't wait for football to start. Normally only watch them play live about twice a year being down here in FL.  Don't the Hawks play in Nashville this year? :D hmmm... roadtrip maybe.

869606[/snapback]

:D

I was hoping we would avoid the carnage. Jax has to be one of the worst as far as selling anything out. They have been under blackouts for years. What fans come out are enthusiastic, but there's not enough of them. I think people are more interested in golfing and fishing in the fall. Competition with 2 major college football teams in the area doesn't help.

Spain,

I was at the Texans vs Titans game last year. Had a great time in Nashville...I'm not a country music fan but had a great time at Wild Horses! We sat up on the third floor and made fun of line dancers all night. GREAT CITY! Great stadium!!!

However, at the game we were sitting amoungst season ticket holders who did nothing but complain about their team, coach, cheerleaders ETC. The game was "sold out" but by the 3rd quarter their were a lot a of empty seats around us.

Viking fans used to sit out in below zero temps to watch the Purple People Eaters. We used to watch football outdoors the way it was meant to be played. Now we have to sit in the Humpty Dome!!! Vikings have sold out since 1998. And during that time we have and great and really bad teams. While we made be jaded about our Vikings we still support them. Any fan can go to a game in a nice new beautiful stadium to watch outdoor football in 70 degree weather. It takes real fans to drive through snow storms to sit in a crappy dome.

If you want real fans...go to a game in Green Bay in December. The whole state turns green and gold, the grocery stores sell green and gold chips, hamburgers, and what ever else they can dye. Their are almost as many people tailgating during the game as are in the stadium. Titan fans are nowhere close to that!!

:D

I was hoping we would avoid the carnage. Jax has to be one of the worst as far as selling anything out. They have been under blackouts for years. What fans come out are enthusiastic, but there's not enough of them. I think people are more interested in golfing and fishing in the fall. Competition with 2 major college football teams in the area doesn't help.

869616[/snapback]

And Jacksonville was given a team ahead of Baltimore and St. Louis. Good move Tagliaboob.

Yep!  The Browns obviously have a great fan base.  Just like Tennessee.  And of course, Nashville is one of the smallest markets in the league.  Atlanta, which is about 10 time larger, couldnt sell out a game until Mr Blank started giving out tix.  Seattle is too stoned to care.  The Viqueens are so obcessed with their Packer Envy, they forget to go their own games.  The Chargers fans are all surfing or running from the INS.

869460[/snapback]

What Packer Envy?????? (other than the have a great stadium and awesome tailgating! :D )

Talk to us in 2 years after the Titans go through 2 more years of sub 500 records. If you can still talk about sell outs after that then I'll listen. Until then your newbie Titan fans have proven nothing except they would rather watch football than sit on the front porch and whistle dixie! :D

Edited by T-Scorp

Don't the Hawks play in Nashville this year? :D hmmm... roadtrip maybe.

869606[/snapback]

Come on down! I could probably hook us up with some tickets. Anybody else want to see a game in Nashville, let me know...

November 27th, San Fran @ Tennessee......

...... CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!!!

869689[/snapback]

I would be willing to bet Only In America $100 that the Titans win that epic struggle... :D