[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson

Primetime9287

Hey guys, quick question. I just found out that I received the 1st pick in my FF draft this year. Obviously, I am taking LT2 first :D . But I am trying to get an idea of what might be available to me coming back for the 20th and 21st pick. I was looking at schedules and Steven Jackson's schedule looks very nice. He showed signs of having a great 2005 season when I was watching him last year. My only concern is whether he is going to get the majority of the carries (90%) and not lose value because of Marshall Marshall Marshall. Let me know your thoughts or any info you have. This is for a $700 pot, so try and give me as much info as possible!!

Edited by Primetime9287

Hey guys, quick question.  I just found out that I received the 1st pick in my FF draft this year.  Obviously, I am taking LT2 first  :D .  But I am trying to get an idea of what might be available to me coming back for the 20th and 21st pick.  I was looking at schedules and Steven Jackson's schedule looks very nice.  He showed signs of having a great 2005 season when I was watching him last year.  My only concern is whether he is going to get the majority of the carries (90%) and not lose value because of Marshall Marshall Marshall.  Let me know your thoughts or any info you have.  This is for a $700 pot, so try and give me as much info as possible!!

870740[/snapback]

Basically Jackson is a baller. Played 14 games, started 3. Came away with 134 rushing attempts for 673 yards. Average of 5 yards a carry. 4 TDs.

19 receptions, 189 yards. Average of 9.9 per.

Hes taking over Faulks job this year, but like you said he will only have about 90% of the carries. They'll use Faulk on the 3rd and longs and what not. But I can't emagine them using him at goal line.

With those stats and only starting 3 of his games, think of how dominate he'll be starting every game.

I have jackson on both of my fantasy teams as a #2/3 flex back. I can't really explain what I dominate player he is going to be, you need to watch it for yourself. The kid basically runs over everyone in his path. Watch some of the highlights on the NFL Network its amazing.

Otherwise, I think Lamont Jordan will fall that low and be decent, or you can snag yourself a pair of 2 good WRs.

Check out the 10 team mock draft here

Good luck!

Geez I would surely think he should go by then. He IS a top 10 back. If they let you match him with LT, I'd put your odds of winning your league higher than the competition.

People have questioned his desire to play football and be a good back, due to his Ricky Williams type demeanor off the field, but I got the opportunity to watch him several times in person in college, and he a flambuoyant savage beast, who had a lot of fun playing football. Don't be scared, he is the real deal.

I wouldn't be afraid at all of Faulk. Martz scares me a bit, although he already admitted that with Jackson's running style, he's going to have to peel back his passing game and let him wear defenses down.

Geez I would surely think he should go by then.  He IS a top 10 back.  If they let you match him with LT, I'd put your odds of winning your league higher than the competition. 

People have questioned his desire to play football and be a good back, due to his Ricky Williams type demeanor off the field, but I got the opportunity to watch him several times in person in college, and he a flambuoyant savage beast, who had a lot of fun playing football.  Don't be scared, he is the real deal. 

I wouldn't be afraid at all of Faulk.  Martz scares me a bit, although he already admitted that with Jackson's running style, he's going to have to peel back his passing game and let him wear defenses down.

870789[/snapback]

Jackson has never been a top 10 back, and I don't think he will this year. Marshall Faulk will still get AT LEAST 60 carries and probably will get closer to 100. Jackson will still get the majority, but that majority will only be around 160-180 carries, judging by Martz's history.

That is borderline for a #1 back. If someone like Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Ahman Green, Tiki Barber, or Curtis Martin falls to you in the bottom of the second, take them ahead of Jackson.

Just for reference, I have Steven Jackson as my 19th ranked runningback. Since Peyton Manning and Randy Moss will both be selected before your 20th pick, one of the 18 backs ahead of Jackson in these rankings is sure to fall to you at 20, and probably 2 or 3 will. Here is the list:

1. Tomlinson

2. Alexander

3. Holmes

4. James

5. McCallister

6. McGahee

7. Portis

8. K. Jones

9. Barber

10. C. Dillon

11. Lewis

12. Green

13. Dom. Davis

14. Rudi Johnson

15. J. Jones

16. C. Martin

17. T. Bell

18. B. Westbrook

19. S. Jackson

So, you can take someone better than Jackson there, with less question marks surrounding him. Someone will reach on him because of hype, probably, but Curtis Martin is a much better option.

Edited by Chessmaster

Based on the drafts I've seen and participated in, at 2.12-3.01 you could very well have your choice of:

RBs

L. Jordon

C. Brown

T. Bell

WRs

T. Holt

C. Johnson

M. Harrison

S. Jackson has been falling around 2.10 - 3.01 So you may have a shot at him. But according to the Huddle, Jackson will have one of the easiest schedules for RBs

Just for reference, I have Steven Jackson as my 19th ranked runningback.  Since Peyton Manning and Randy Moss will both be selected before your 20th pick, one of the 18 backs ahead of Jackson in these rankings is sure to fall to you at 20, and probably 2 or 3 will.  Here is the list:

1. Tomlinson

2. Alexander

3. Holmes

4. James

5. McCallister

6. McGahee

7. Portis

8. K. Jones

9. Barber

10. C. Dillon

11. Lewis

12. Green

13. Dom. Davis

14. Rudi Johnson

15. J. Jones

16. C. Martin

17. T. Bell

18. B. Westbrook

19. S. Jackson

So, you can take someone better than Jackson there, with less question marks surrounding him.  Someone will reach on him because of hype, probably, but Curtis Martin is a much better option.

870854[/snapback]

Wow you have Dom Davis ranked REALLY LOW. I think Tatum Bell, Curtis Martin and Ahman Green may have more ?'s than Jackson. On my list, Jackson is ahead of J. Jones, Bell, Martin, Johnson, and Westbrook, if he gets the majority of the carries. I love his schedule. Thats partly why a lot of people have him as a top 10 RB.

Edited by Primetime9287

Wow you have Dom Davis ranked REALLY LOW.  I think Tatum Bell, Curtis Martin and Ahman Green may have more ?'s than Jackson.  On my list, Jackson is ahead of J. Jones, Bell, Martin, Johnson, and Westbrook, if he gets the majority of the carries.  I love his schedule.  Thats partly why a lot of people have him as a top 10 RB.

870931[/snapback]

He will get the majority of the carries, but he will struggle to get 200 carries with Faulk still in the mix.

Do you really want to draft a runner in the top 10 that will need to average over 5 yards a carry to reach 1000 yards?? I think not. Green, Martin, and Bell all have their questions, but they will all get their carries. Jackson isn't even assured of that, and that is a MUCH MUCH bigger question mark than fumbles (Green), age (Martin), and Shanahan (Bell).

He will get the majority of the carries, but he will struggle to get 200 carries with Faulk still in the mix.

Do you really want to draft a runner in the top 10 that will need to average over 5 yards a carry to reach 1000 yards??  I think not.  Green, Martin, and Bell all have their questions, but they will all get their carries.  Jackson isn't even assured of that, and that is a MUCH MUCH bigger question mark than fumbles (Green), age (Martin), and Shanahan (Bell).

870948[/snapback]

Yep. Good points. I have until the begining of Aug. to think about it so I should have a little bit better idea of what I'm planning on doing. Thanks for the input though. **Side Note on Ahman Green...his fumbles aren't what really worries me about him. It's more his Offensive Line (Lost both starting tackles) and with the defense being so bad this year, they may have to throw a lot to catch up when they are trailing. I think Favre will have a great season, but Green is a toss up**

Yea, valid points on Green, but I think he will be fine. The Packers pass so well that any runner will do well there as long as he can stay healthy.

Back to the Rams and Steven Jackson though. The Rams average around 300 carries per year as a team, or slightly more, the past few seasons. That is less than most other NFL Teams.

I figure Faulk will get 6 carries a game or so, which means if he can stay healthy all year, he will get 96 carries, or about 100. That will leave 200 carries to Steven Jackson, and that simply isn't enough to make him a premiere fantasy back. And we aren't even considering that their third string back, Arlen Harris, will see 10 or so carries to further cut into Jackson's numbers.

Also, you have to consider the fact that last year Jackson saw very little action in a pass-catching role. Martz, IMO, will still be more likely to use Faulk than Jackson in that capacity. Don't be surprised to see Faulk get 40 or more catches while Jackson only gets around 30.

So yes, if Faulk get's hurt, Jackson could be a top-5 back this year without question. But Faulk's presence drops him down alot for me, and makes him a borderline #2 back, and very good #3. Upside is only worth so much; it is a much better move to take a proven veteran like Curtis Martin who has no competition for carries and has a good chance of reaching 300 as opposed to a youngster like Jackson who, because of Faulk, will struggle to reach 200. It is a big difference.

really turned this into a wdid. who do i draft, but we'll let you slide.

i would go back to back rb and put the rest of the league in a bind. if jordan and bell are there, i would go that way. if you are dead set on jackson, which i wouldn't be for reasons stated above, do what you think would be best by whats been drafted thus far, and what kind of third rb you can get in the 4th.

I dont think we can really question the fact that SJ can be a top 5 to top 10 RB....the Question that surrounds him is his idiot of a coach...the fact that he will probably go 2 or 3 games without running the ball even 10 times cause he is passing every down significantly drops SJ's value....I look for Faulk to be 3rd down change of pace back that will not really hur SJ's value....its Martz thats killing him but if its a keeper league you grab him and dont look back...I have him as my #4 RB in my keeper money league behind....Tomlinson, Dillon, Holmes....So I am excited about the upcoming season...we keep 5 players and Chad Johnson is my 5th....good luck

Jackson could be a great back. Martz has moranic tendencies. I think Jackson will get his carries, but the question will be, in what games? You'll have to look at the matchups IMO because Martz is as predictable as weathervane in the Keys.

Based on the drafts I've seen and participated in, at  2.12-3.01 you could very well have your choice of:

RBs

L. Jordon

C. Brown

T. Bell

WRs

T. Holt

C. Johnson

M. Harrison

S. Jackson has been falling around 2.10 - 3.01 So you may have a shot at him.  But according to the Huddle,  Jackson will have one of the easiest schedules for RBs

870909[/snapback]

I don't see those WR's being there.