[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's Talk Auction Strategy

Undefeated72

i have never done an auction league but my strategy would be this.

get Marc Bulger

get Ahman Green/N. Davenport, J. Jones/A. Thomas, and then R. Johnson.

then get Chad Johnson, Hines Ward, L. Coles, and S. Moss as your WRs.

D. Clark if ya need a TE

J. Wilkins as your kicker.

it is about right.

Edited by seminoles

:D Don't post titles in ALL CAPS. It will invoke the ire of the regulars. Plus it may invoke WW to restore the feature where it changes the title to have only the first (and every first) letter of each word/acronym/etc capitalized.

I aim for my studs first and hard.

I have learned over the years of having auctions it is better to be aggresive early in the auction than passive. That may be me, others might disagree.

By the time it reaches me to nominate an auctionee the second time I already have my studs and then I wait till the end of the auction to snatch up the low-end or sleepers.

Edited by MrTed46

I aim for my studs first and hard.

I have learned over the years of having auctions it is better to be aggresive early in the auction than passive. That may be me, others might disagree.

By the time it reaches me to nominate an auctionee the second time I already have my studs and then I wait till the end of the auction to snatch up the low-end or sleepers.

872798[/snapback]

Tend to agree here. IMO, if you jump out and pay what (at the time) seems to be an astronomical amount (say $35 in a $100 cap league) for an LT or SA, then what happens is you'll get the next 5 or so tier-2 RB's around 28-30. Then, for the last two-three top-tier runners, some folks realize "oh crap, I don't have a stud-RB, and they will bid up well over 30. For all of the positions, the rule tends to hold true. Tier one players go "about right", which seems ridiculous because it's so high at the time, but then when you get to the last few "good" players in tier 2, there will be at least 2-3 owners realizing they don't have a #1 in that position, and need it, so it gets bid up.

I also think WR is the easiest position to find a cheap "gem" in, and I always am able to get one or two players for $1 who perform far better. Last year was Colbert and Caldwell (Colbert due to injury, but Caldwell fell off due to injury, so it cuts both ways), but in the past I've had Hines, CJ and last year Housh and Stokely. Every year I plan for my WR3 to come from one of those $1 players, and since I play in keeper/dynasty leagues, I usually have one or more that are worthy either as trade bait or even a #2 holdover.

Also, in keeper/dynasty leagues target a pool of RB's for cheap, and stash one on your roster. The requirements from the pool should be 1) in a good situation and 2) has shown some talent. Get one (or if your roster is huge, 2) and stash. I figured last year any RB could succeed in KC, so I picked up LJ (if I'd taken Blalock I wouldn't have missed the playoffs in that league by one win) figuring he was the future there. How good would your roster look if you had a player like LJ or LJ (Lamont Jordan) on it right now? Some guys you might target currently (and that might not be on the radar) are Chris Perry in Cincy, Claurett, Cedric Cob in NE or the rook (name escapes me) in Houston. Not that I'm wishing for this to happen, but the next season-ending injury is only a snap away.

It still baffles me that even playing with people who know what they're doing, you still get people paying more than $1 for a kicker, or drafting more than one K or D (unless league rules don't allow FA or do something to force a requirement).

Sorry this post got a little long-winded, but you asked for advice...

Edited by westvirginia

Pay big early for two stud RB's. Then wait until the end of the draft to pick up some tier two WR's and a decent QB cheap. Agressiveness early really pays off here b/c the later you get in the auction the more desperate owners will get and the more they will pay to try and overcompensate for not acting early.

FYI, the first auction that I was ever in (2003), a guy paid $35 each (out of $100)of LT and Holmes, and then waited around and still ended up with Bruce, Derrick Mason, and Chris Chambers. He got Bulger off of waivers and basically beat the piss out of everyon b/c he was aggressive early.

I ended up with Barlow, George, and Dillon for a combined $43 :D

Agree with some above advice... hit hard and fast!!!

Some people need a little while to get into the rhythm of an auction. They want to see what kind of pace is going to be set before they start spending. Get your first couple of studs right away before the majority of the owners there know what hit 'em.