[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Curtis Martin

devilwoman

Well, you know, Curtis Martin's never really been able to produce without Kareem McKenzie paving the way for him. :D

That having been said, of course I think he's on his last legs--but I've been saying that for five years running.

Peace

policy

Jones is in his second year. He's 6'4", 296. Reports are he isn't the drive blocker McKenzie was but is very quick on his feet and athletic. He has the speed to pull. He is suppossed to be a better pass blocker than McKenzie was. Becht was on that side, and at 6'5", 272, his blocking will be missed in the running game.

The Jets seem pretty confident in Jones. They made no effort to replace him in the draft or in the FA market. I think the Jets will try more outside rushing plays this year to the strong side, rather than rushing behind the surge McKenzie provided. Jolley's prescence should help keep the LB's honest off of play actions. So, while the blocking between the tackles won't be as good, Jones' speed should provide running room on the outside. I'd call it almost a wash.

What is more important regarding Martin is what sort of shape he comes into camp at. Last year, he skipped the pro bowl because he was "banged up". That isn't good news. Last year he was in the best shape of his life and fully healthy for the first time since the 2001 season going into training camp. If he's healthy, and in good shape, I think he can crack the top ten RB list again, although I have him ranked at #12 this year. That is still higher than where most people have him. Last year I told anyone who would listen that Martin was going to have a very good year. Even after his hot start, most were saying trade him while his value is up. The thing is, he produced all year.

I think he will get fewer carries, closer to his career avg of 329, somewhere between 300 and 325. I think DMD's projection is pretty good, but I have Martin scoring a few more TD's than he does, but less than the 14 he put up last year. I have him with 10 to 11 TD's.

Jones is in his second year. He's 6'4", 296. Reports are he isn't the drive blocker McKenzie was but is very quick on his feet and athletic. He has the speed to pull. He is suppossed to be a better pass blocker than McKenzie was. Becht was on that side, and at 6'5", 272, his blocking will be missed in the running game.

The Jets seem pretty confident in Jones. They made no effort to replace him in the draft or in the FA market.  I think the Jets will try more outside rushing plays this year to the strong side, rather than rushing behind the surge McKenzie provided. Jolley's prescence should help keep the LB's honest off of play actions. So, while the blocking between the tackles won't be as good, Jones' speed should provide running room on the outside. I'd call it almost a wash.

What is more important regarding Martin is what sort of shape he comes into camp at. Last year, he skipped the pro bowl because he was "banged up".  That isn't good news. Last year he was in the best shape of his life and fully healthy for the first time since the 2001 season going into training camp. If he's healthy, and in good shape, I think he can crack the top ten RB list again, although I have him ranked at #12 this year. That is still higher than where most people have him. Last year I told anyone who would listen that Martin was going to have a very good year. Even after his hot start, most were saying trade him while his value is up. The thing is, he produced all year.

I think he will get fewer carries, closer to his career avg of 329, somewhere between 300 and 325. I think DMD's projection is pretty good, but I have Martin scoring a few more TD's than he does, but less than the 14 he put up last year. I have him with 10 to 11 TD's.

871358[/snapback]

Thanks Rovers, appreciate the insight. :D