[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants IDP

The Giants Defense lost some players from last season, Martin, Chase,Hand,Stokes and Stoutmire. But, the Giants offseason wasn’t, let’s sit around and watch the paint dry as in the past. They made a couple of substantial pick-ups; one being Antonio Pierce. Pierce had a breakout year with (112) tackles and (2) interceptions. He will give them an immediate upgrade at linebacker. The Giants play in a 4-3 Defensive Scheme.

Linebackers

The Giants have a good linebacking corps, if the players can stay healthy. The backers for the Giants are Emmons, Green and Pierce. While it is a very good corp of linebackers, injuries have been taking their toll on the whole defense, including the LBs.

Emmons the (SLB) had (97) tackles in ’04. (62) solo and (35) assists. He also had one sack. All in all he did a very good job. The Giants got Emmons as an unrestricted free agent from Philly in 2004. He's #43 in Fusion, he'll be servicable.

Green the (WLB) was hurt last year and is still having problems. He may not be ready for camp or the regular season. Which would mean Greisen would take over. Green had (39) tackles (26) solo and (13) assists. Green was an unrestricted free agent in 2004 when the Giants signed him. Originally he was a second rd. pick by Detroit.

Greisen will take over if Green isn’t ready to go. He had (80) tackles (61) solo and (13) assists so, he did a good job while filling in for Green. He also had (2) sacks and a fumble recovery. He was a fifth rd. pick by the Giants in 2002. He's #49 in Fusion. He'd be ok as your third.

Pierce (MLB) was aquired from the Redskins after his breakout season last year. He will solidify the LBs. This was the Giants biggest move in my opinion. He had (114) tackles, (87) solo and (27) assists. He also added (1) sack, (2) fumble recoveries and (1) int. that went for a TD. Pierce isn't a question, just play him.

Defensive Line

The key to the line, or the defense for that matter will be if Strahan comes back 100% and with his mind on football considering his marital problems. If he comes back in good physical and mental shape, he's the leader that will keep them together. Strahan said in mini camp there were no issues with the pectoral muscle.

Umenyiora (DE) had (58) tackles, (42) solo (16) assists. He also had (7) sacks, (4) fumble recoveries (1) for a TD. He is solid. Umenyiora was a second rd. pick for the Giants in 2003. Umenyiora is a good start for a DE. I think he was around 8-10 with the scoring in Fusion. He's definitely a starter, get him.

Joseph (RDT) was coming off a torn pectoral muscle in April of ’04. He had (25) tackles, (20) solo and (5) assists. He also had (2) sacks. Look for an improvement this year, if he stays healthy he'll be solid. Joseph was a first rd. pick from Miami in 2003. I think Joseph could bring some decent numbers for a DT. I would grab him as depth if at all right now.

Robbins (LDT) (40) tackles, (31) solo and (9) assists. He also counted for (5) sacks, (2) fumble recoveries and an int. He was drafted in the second rd. by Minn. in 2000. Giants got him as a an unrestricted free agent in 2003. Robbins was a middle of the road tackle, he's ok for depth or a second/third guy he'll probably be there for you in a pinch.

Strahan (LDE) Had 35 tackles, 25 solo and 10 assists. He also had (4) sacks and (3) fumble recoveries. Last year Strahan suffered a torn pectoral muscle and didn't play thereafter. Strahan is the leader of this defense and is considered one of the best DE in the game. Does he have enough left for another couple years though; he's been in the league 13 years. Hurt last year, do you take a chance this year, definitely he has at least one or two more years.

Defensive Backs

Allen (LCB) only played in (8) games last year recording (13) tackles, (11) solo and (2) assists. He also added one interception. Allen and the secondary as a whole need to step it up this year. If they don't, Webster wasn't drafted in the second rd. to sit the bench. If they don't step up, Webster may get his chance more sooner than later. Allen was a first rd. pick by the Giants in 2001 and has started since that time. May be hurting with big plays going past him but, he was the #8 CB in Fusion last year.

Peterson (RCB) had (69) tackles, (61) solo and (8) assists. He also had (1) fumble recovery and (2) ints. Peterson was a third rd. pick for the Giants in 2001. Peterson has been plagued with injuries the past two years. He's had to miss games two out of the three years he's been in the NFL. Hopefully it stops this year. Peterson may be someone who can be servicable but, the injuries are a problem. He was #26 in Fusion last year. That's not bad for someone who lost games to an injury.

Alexander (SS) someone on “D” did play all (16) games last year. He had (80) tackles, (56) solo and (24) assists. He also added (2) sacks, (2) fumble recoveries and (3) ints. Alexander was a free agent the Giants picked up in 2004. He's a 12 yr. vet with much experience to help all the young guys. He was #28 in Fusion last year. That's not too shabby.

Burns (FS) did a pretty good job when he was there. It’s his job to lose now. He had (23) tackles, (19) solo, (4) assists. He also added (1) fumble recovery and (1) int. I can't take a chance with Burns, I just don't know enough about him. For now keep an eye on him.

Webster is the newcomer (Rook). The feeling is he will have a starting job next year. They need to shake something up in the secondary, and Webster just may be the answer. Webster was a second rd. pick for the Giants in 2005 so, I believe the two starting corners feel they're being pushed. Hopefully that will motivate them some.

The Giants weren’t a bad “D” last year finishing overall at (11). With the moves they made I think they have a chance to do better, not by leaps and bounds but, better. They need to do something with the Dbacks. They were actually #8 against the pass last year but they give up too many big plays. I don’t know exactly when Webster fits into things, but he may end up the starter sooner than anyone thinks if they don’t improve. The LBs and line are solid and if people stay healthy they will be good. Strahan may be getting older and maybe losing a little but Strahan at 80-90% is as good as anyone. Umenyiora has really come along great. He does a very good job on the other end. Strahan and Umenyiora complement each other which helps them both.

Edited by jgcoach

You're right, Williams played in 12 games the past two years, only 2 last year. Wilson played 8 games period. The extent of his career.

Now, while the Giants are my team, until I actually started reading and doing some research, I couldn't give you the names of the Giant secondary. Well, maybe the corners but not the safties. So, what I did was go to more than just a few sites and look to depth charts. Every one I saw was the same, including the Giants site. Now, since the Giant front office hasn't called to offer me the GM or head coach position, I went with what I was reading since they should know better than I what their teams depth chart is. When NFL.com, Giants.com, Sportsline, ESPN and a few others change the depth charts, or in a couple weeks when camp starts and I can see who's starting, then I can make the appropraite changes. Or, if I see something different than what I've seen so far, I'll make the changes sooner.

Please excuse the blunder. Do you really need to know what I'm smoking, or is that just you being an a**hole?

Not being an bad person, just figured anyone who watched the giants last season would know who the more talented safeties were. Sorry about being an bad person, I guess I just come by it naturally.

a**hole = bad person....priceless!

Edited by Los Gigantes

8 games makes the kids career. Good, bad or indifferent as he showed he was capable, I didn't see anything that would suggest he's a lock for anything. Until I see something definitive, I'll stick with the current depth chart. I may take some heat for what's there now but, if one stays or goes, it's their depth chart, not me making the call. Will Williams and Wilson be there, maybe, probably, most likely. I guess we'll know soon enough.

You want me to make the call, I have Wilson in a homer Dynasty IDP league. Take that for what it's worth.

Honestly, a report on Giants IDPs that fails to even MENTION Gibril Wilson is grossly remiss.

Wilson could conceivably end up being the 2nd-best IDP safety this year (behind Harrison) and he's not even mentioned? Jgcoach, I don't see why you'd even think about calling Los G an a-hole for calling you out on an obvious mistake.

Anybody can look at a few depth charts. The purpose of these reports is to go BEYOND that. In this case, all it would have taken was some common sense.

I lookeed at some different sites depth charts for Tennessee when I did the Titans IDP. Then I threw them out the window because most of those are done by people who dont follow the Titans on a daily basis like I do. No offense, but website depth charts at this time of year are as worthless as balls on a Priest. You need to follow your local team to know who the real players are, and not rely on the internet to tell you who the starters will be. That said, the Titans may be the least certain of any teams in terms of the starters on defense and alot of what I wrote was wild ass guessing....

I know what you mean but, there's really not much happening and I didn't have much to go on right now. LG was correct in what he was saying and guessing right now is about par for the course. It'll be better in a couple weeks, there'll be something to write about. With the injuries and the length of them, I just didn't have that much confidence in going against the depth charts. I said I would try to help out when they were looking for people to do this and I'm at least taking the time and doing something. If it's not up to par, or your standards I'll be happy to step aside for more knowledgable people to take over.

Edit: Oh ya, Cheezhead. I didn't call him an A**hole for the content of his post but the way he put it. I'm sure he knows that, and if you read the post you should be able to get that from it. Actually the way Spain put his post is more palatable to take and something I can agree with. I'll do the best I can until someone steps forward and takes over if they wish. Anyway, I would agree with your eval. of Wilson. If you actually look back on the posts, I said it was a blunder (obvious mistake) maybe I need to say it again. Please excuse the mistake. When camp starts I'll make the changes.

Edited by jgcoach

I know what you mean but, there's really not much happening and I didn't have much to go on right now. LG was correct in what he was saying and guessing right now is about par for the course. It'll be better in a couple weeks, there'll be something to write about. With the injuries and the length of them, I just didn't have that much confidence in going against the depth charts. I said I would try to help out when they were looking for people to do this and I'm at least taking the time and doing something. If it's not up to par, or your standards I'll be happy to step aside for more knowledgable people to take over.

Edit: Oh ya, Cheezhead. I didn't call him an A**hole for the content of his post but the way he put it. I'm sure he knows that, and if you read the post you should be able to get that from it. Actually the way Spain put his post is more palatable to take and something I can agree with. I'll do the best I can until someone steps forward and takes over if they wish. Anyway, I would agree with your eval. of Wilson. If you actually look back on the posts, I said it was a blunder (obvious mistake) maybe I need to say it again. Please excuse the mistake. When camp starts I'll make the changes.

892655[/snapback]

I'm not saying we need someone else to do the Giants report. I'm sure you can do a fine job. My point -- like spain's -- was just that you have to go beyond the depth charts.

Like you said, you didn't "feel confident going against the depth charts". This is where I had a problem. We WANT you to go against the depth charts if YOU, the NYG homer, believes they're wrong.

Write what you think, not the safe info. If you think Wilson is going to be a top-5 DB this year say so. If you think Osi is going to be a top-5 DE, say so. We'll accept a little hometown bias along with a little hometown insight. Haven't you read my thoughts on Nick Barnett? Or, for that matter, Rovers's opinion of Vilma? :D

• 4 weeks later...

NYG Update 8/18

LB Changes: Reggie Torbor has been promoted to starting Strong Side LB. Carlos Emmons will be moved to the weekside, and this raises Emmons's fantasy stock considerably. The reasons for this change are Torbor's strong play in the preseason and camp, and Barret Green's slow recovery from last year's injuries. Slow recoveries tend to put folks in Coughlin's dog house, so I am skeptical whether Green will win his job back even when healthy. Nick Greisen will continue to back up all positions, and would be a strong IDP play if Antonio Pierce or Emmons get hurt.

DB update: Current starters are Gibril Wilson and Brent Alexander, though Shaun Williams may still beat out Alexander if he shows he is fully recovered and playing at a high level once again. There is not a ton of difference between SS and FS in Tim lewis's scheme. Who ever wins the battle (and Alexander is the current and icnreasing favorite) will be a great bye week filler in 16 team leagues that start 3 dbs and a solid third starter. I have a hunch that Williams does win this spot back eventually. If he does get fully healthy, he is just too talented not to.

NYG Update 8/18

LB Changes:  Reggie Torbor has been promoted to starting Strong Side LB.  Carlos Emmons will be moved to the weekside, and this raises Emmons's fantasy stock considerably.  The reasons for this change are Torbor's strong play in the preseason and camp, and Barret Green's slow recovery from last year's injuries.  Slow recoveries tend to put folks in Coughlin's dog house, so I am skeptical whether Green will win his job back even when healthy.  Nick Greisen will continue to back up all positions, and would be a strong IDP play if Antonio Pierce or Emmons get hurt.

DB update:  Current starters are Gibril Wilson and Brent Alexander, though Shaun Williams may still beat out Alexander if he shows he is fully recovered and playing at a high level once again.  There is not a ton of difference between SS and FS in Tim lewis's scheme.  Who ever wins the battle (and Alexander is the current and icnreasing favorite) will be a great bye week filler in 16 team leagues that start 3 dbs and a solid third starter.  I have a hunch that Williams does win this spot back eventually.  If he does get fully healthy, he is just too talented not to.

934365[/snapback]

The way Coughlin was talking, Green will have a tough road back to the starting line up. Green didn't even sound too confident about being healthy anytime soon. Before the start of the regular season anyway. If Torbor continues to play well, he'll get all the time he needs to heal.

• 3 weeks later...
Reggie Torbor was a backup DL last year I think.  Now he is listed on the depth chart as a backup LB but he sure got some solid stats on week 1.  What's the story with this kid?

984849[/snapback]

He is the starting strong side line backer. Emmons was moved to the weak side. (see up thsi thread)

NYG Update 8/18

LB Changes:  Reggie Torbor has been promoted to starting Strong Side LB.  Carlos Emmons will be moved to the weekside, and this raises Emmons's fantasy stock considerably.  The reasons for this change are Torbor's strong play in the preseason and camp, and Barret Green's slow recovery from last year's injuries.  Slow recoveries tend to put folks in Coughlin's dog house, so I am skeptical whether Green will win his job back even when healthy.  Nick Greisen will continue to back up all positions, and would be a strong IDP play if Antonio Pierce or Emmons get hurt.

934365[/snapback]

see?