[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Talk to me about the Tackle Statistic

First of all, I know that tackles are not an official NFL statistic and I'm sure that plays into this. I wanted to say that upfront so I don't get fourteen messages about that!

I'm in the middle of a conversion from the overpriced, lousy customer service CBS Sportsline site to what seems like everyone's favorite, MFL. We've used CBS for years with IDPs. As I review the scoring for both sites, I see a difference between the MFL and CBS scoring calculation despite the same scoring format. It seems like the difference may be in the tackles. As an example, Takeo Spikes had 61 tackles (we don't use assists) according to CBS. NFL.Com shows 61 as well, but that may be because they are powered by CBS. The Buffalo Bills website shows 64, which is what MFL shows. Stranger, though, with Donnie Edwards: MFL shows 79 tackles despite the Chargers website showing 105 and NFL.com showing 104. That's a really big difference!

Where does MFL get it's tackle stats from and who's is the most accurate? Can anybody give me some direction regarding this?

First of all, I know that tackles are not an official NFL statistic and I'm sure that plays into this.  I wanted to say that upfront so I don't get fourteen messages about that!

I'm in the middle of a conversion from the overpriced, lousy customer service CBS Sportsline site to what seems like everyone's favorite, MFL.  We've used CBS for years with IDPs.  As I review the scoring for both sites, I see a difference between the MFL and CBS scoring calculation despite the same scoring format.  It seems like the difference may be in the tackles.  As an example, Takeo Spikes had 61 tackles (we don't use assists) according to CBS.  NFL.Com shows 61 as well, but that may be because they are powered by CBS.  The Buffalo Bills website shows 64, which is what MFL shows.  Stranger, though, with Donnie Edwards:  MFL shows 79 tackles despite the Chargers website showing 105 and NFL.com showing 104.  That's a really big difference!

Where does MFL get it's tackle stats from and who's is the most accurate?  Can anybody give me some direction regarding this?

873535[/snapback]

MFL gets them from the Elias Sports Bureau , the same company that is the official statisician of the NFL. The odd thing is that NFL.com is run by CBS, and technically do not even display the official statistics. Confused yet...

Point is, technically speaking, the stats on MFL come from the source of the official NFL stats

Edited to add: Rememberd the name of the company and edited post accordingly

Edited by Big Country

I beleive that the home team's statisticain (sp?) is responsible for assigning tackle and assists to players during the game. I think that the NFL will take that person's data and use that for their box scores, "Gamebook" on NFL.com, etc.

I also know that after film reviews during the week each NFL team will go back a recredit their own players with tackles, etc. and use that data when promoting their own players.

As a result you may see that Donnie Edwards had 8 solos and 4 assists according to the NFL Gamebook on NFL.com, but later you may see the Charges own Web Site lists him with 14 solos and 2 assists or something like that. Since it is an "unofficial" statistic each team has their own system for reviewing and creiting a player with tackles, and I am sure they can be pretty creative when they want to.

If I am not mistaken the League Mgmt. Software that most of us use for our fantasy leagues (MFL & RTSports) will directly reflect the statistics that appear in the NFL.com Gamebooks.

• 2 weeks later...