[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting 2 WRs versus 3

EZDoesit

A lot of the start lists, specifically in the FF advice forum, list rosters that start 3 WR's. Anyone that started 2 wrs at one time and later switched to 3 or the flex, did that dramatically change the draft strategy? Any benefit one way or the other ? :D

We are planning to change from 2 to 3WR this year. One reason that people wanted to do this is bacuse some feel that 2 stong RB's far out score 2 stong WR in our scoring system and so to equal things up we will try 3 WR. Now I do not expect anyones WR to do better than some ones RB but the scoring difference was huge last year. Soe also think this will even things up depending on your draft position. Wont know until the year is over wether or not we will like it. :D

I play in a league that has alot of flexibility in how the starting skill spots are filled:

2 RB + 2 WR + 1 TE

2 RB + 1 WR + 2 TE

1 RB + 2 WR + 2 TE

1 RB + 3 WR + 1 TE

To be honest, draft strategy did not change at all UNTIL 2 seasons ago when we also went to 1 pt per reception.

One of the few ways to increase the value of a position is to increase the required number of starters.

By having teams have to start 3 Wrs, that means there are 10-12 more WRs that are now starters rather than bench players, so filling those positions with a quality player becomes more important as that is another slot that must score for you.

In CORE we require 4 WRs, and it has made it so that building a group of quality WRs for those spots can counter the team that has two very strong RBs.

I like awarding points for recepetions. It does give the WRs a boost.

Even better is awarding those points based on yards/reception IMO. Most RBs have reception averages under 10. WRs are almost always over 10. Award .5 points for reception averages under 10. Award a full point for 10 and over. The WRs clean up even more. And I think it makes sense for those bigger gains to be rewarded IMO.

By having teams have to start 3 Wrs, that means there are 10-12 more WRs that are now starters rather than bench players, so filling those positions with a quality player becomes more important as that is another slot that must score for you.

885063[/snapback]

Right. So, in terms of draft strategy, this means you might be more inclined to get that 3rd WR earlier than you would have in the past in lieu of filling backup slots for other positions. Another small effect on strategy is an increase in the likelyhood that owners will stockpile at the WR position later in the draft.

Edited by BS Miscreant

The league I commish puts TE's and WR's together in the same RECEIVER category, and we start three each week. It has worked very well for us.

I like to provide my league scoring with a balance by numbers...

make all qb TD's 6 pts or higher, pending on the distance....I do this, because there is 1 QB...and when you have 2 RB's..they usually equal or slightly outperform the 1 QB...and then 3 WR's...plus the 1 pt per rec rule...and the TE for someone who might have so-so WR's and is looking for a mismatch in this position...

the idea is to potentially make the makeup of all positions, whether it be 1 QB 2 RB or 3 WR's all just as valueable as the other in a grouping so the league doesn't just revolve around 1 position...like most leagues do (RB)...even though, it still may be the case...you don't need 2 well performing RB's to be successful..