[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Opening Day--Sept 11

Chief Dick

Had a story on the local news last night about a boy who was born on 9/11/01. Pretty interesting. I wonder how many births there were in the US that day, and how many parents later did (or considered) having the official birthdate changed. (The reporter in the story I saw asked the parents if they considered it.)

This boy didn't really know much about 9/11 until he was 8, and last year was the first time he saw pictures of the event.

Here's hoping we continue to be spared from most large scale terrorist attacks and avoid being entangled in military actions around the world as much as possible.

I would like to think if I was in that situation, I wouldn't mind my child having that date, to keep people thinking that it wasnt all evil. That there were some great things that did happen that day. Interesting question to ask my wife and hope she didn't throw something at me.

And I agree with that last statement. I judge our progress as earthlings by how much we squash bloodshed. I dont think we've made progress at all.

• 11 months later...

Was busy getting ready for a trip the past couple days and totally forget that 9/11 was here until a guy on the radio started with "13 years ago this is what we heard" and was playing audio from the site as the first tower fell. Wow, still very powerful stuff to hear. A time we will never forget.

RIP to all those who lost their lives, and thanks to all those that helped in the aftermath and those who put themselves in harms way to protect us from so many evils.

Not forgotten.

:usa:

Because I could not stop for Death,

He kindly stopped for me;

The carriage held but just ourselves

And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,

And I had put away

My labor, and my leisure too,

For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove

At recess, in the ring;

We passed the fields of gazing grain,

We passed the setting sun.

Or rather, he passed us;

The dews grew quivering and chill,

For only gossamer my gown,

My tippet only tulle.

We paused before a house that seemed

A swelling of the ground;

The roof was scarcely visible,

The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each

Feels shorter than the day

I first surmised the horses' heads

Were toward eternity.

~ Emily Dickerson

Edited by Shaman
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Man...just read the thread...reminds you how trivial football is in the grand scheme.

I was in college on 9/11. This being right before everyone had cellphones, I only heard an offhand mention of a plane hitting the WTC at class, I figured it was a commuter plane accident...by the time I got home, there was only one tower still standing. My roommates and I were glued to the TV in disbelief that later turned to anger.

Strangely enough, the real sadness and greif didn't hit me until the next day. When I opened the school paper and all of the funny page characters were crying, I did the same for a good long while. I can still reach back to that feeling as I sit and type this.

I am truly sorry for everyone who lost someone on that dark day.

Such Sadness for all lives lost that day! I was on vacation in South Beach with my girlfriend (now my wife). We went to breakfast that morning at the News Cafe. As we walked in the TV was on and the news was talking about a plain hitting the World Trade Center. As we were watching is when the second plane hit. I remember a woman sitting behind us saying something like they should just Blow Up all of New York. Like it was the people and the cities fault this happened. My girlfriend not wanting me to create a scene begged me not to say anything to her, I respected her request and did not say anything. However it still bothers me every year on this day, I feel like she got away with making such a terrible comment.

To try and take our minds off of what was going on in the world, we decided to go shopping. I have never spent so much money on one outfit in my life. Although I actually still have the belt I bought on that day and still wear it.

Thank you Chief for this post and everyone else for their posts and the different memories. I am one of the lucky ones to have not lost anyone I knew in this senseless act. However as with everyone else, I will never forget those that lost their lives!!

:usa: WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!!

09/11 brings such powerful (and raw emotion evoking, from sad to enraged, to so very proud to be patriotic American) memories for me...i vividly remember that day like it was yesterday...at the time, i worked for a DoD contractor and our offices were about 5 miles west of the pentagon...on that morning, a group of us had gathered in a conference room, which faced the city, for a weekly status meeting...i remember one of the guys in the meeting was ex-AF, and still had quite a few friends, comrades, and connections working at the pentagon...we had all heard about the first WTC tower as we were driving in to the meeting, but while we were there, he received a call from one of his buddies indicating the pentagon had also been "hit" by a plane....the blinds in the conference room had been closed as it faced east on an otherwise bright and sunny, normal day in the nation's capital...after that call we all rushed to the window, opened the blinds and could see smoke billowing up in the distance...shortly afterwards, our building closed and evacuated, as well as most others within, probably a 30-mile radius of the city...i remember it took me about an hour just to get out of the underground parking garage - total gridlock - then another several hours to drive 20 miles west to the school to pick-up kids, who were elementary aged at that time...cell phone service was completely out, so i couldn't communicate with anyone - total panic, as although i was listening to the news, no one had a firm handle on what was going on, yet - it tuns out by the time i reached the school, my kids' aunt had already picked them up...it was one of the most messed-up days i can remember, no it was probably THE most messed-up day i can remember...then, in the days following, when all air traffic was on lock-down, i remember the most eeirie silence in the skies, because when you live close to a flight path for a major airport, you really do become accustomed to the sound of planes taking off and approaching to land, but when there are no planes flying, it is just a very weird silence overhead...anyway, i will NEVER forget!

Much sadness for those who lost friends and family on that horrific day, and much gratitude to all of the first responders who bravely risked their lives to save others...

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!!!

Edited by the outlaw

Man...just read the thread...reminds you how trivial football is in the grand scheme.

I was in college on 9/11. This being right before everyone had cellphones, I only heard an offhand mention of a plane hitting the WTC at class, I figured it was a commuter plane accident...by the time I got home, there was only one tower still standing. My roommates and I were glued to the TV in disbelief that later turned to anger.

Strangely enough, the real sadness and greif didn't hit me until the next day. When I opened the school paper and all of the funny page characters were crying, I did the same for a good long while. I can still reach back to that feeling as I sit and type this.

I am truly sorry for everyone who lost someone on that dark day.

I will never forget that feeling either, very strange day at work as we were finding out details, reading online then gathering around the TV for some news coverage. We were sent home early, and the next morning driving to work was eerie. Every person you saw had some blank or somber look on their face, like we had all just been kicked in the gut, had a loved one attacked and lost a dear friend.

Made a visit to the Flight 93 memorial site in PA this year, interesting place and they're just now finishing their main visitor center that will provide more history. While driving the 2-3 mile approach road from the highway I was recalling that day, and the story as told in the Flight 93 movie.

That weekend I met with my motorcycle riding friends for breakfast as usual. We had planned a ride afterward, and some were wondering whether we should do it. Several said we most certainly should, otherwise we are letting the terrorists win. A couple of us even added flags to our bikes that day (not something we usually have on them) and the discussion at stops was all about the events that had happened.

The whole nation was as one, unified in grief and anger. I was in the hotel business and had worked very late the night before.My phone woke me; it was my assistant manager she told me to turn on my television. I asked why but she wouldn't tell me. She repeated "Just turn it on". I remember asking what channel and she said the channel didn't matter. I spent the next few hours in stunned disbelief. Because I worked for a hotel and there were people staying there we didn't close and I went to work. Because of commercial flights being suspended the people staying at the hotel morphed from guests to people who were stranded. All banquet functions had been cancelled for almost the next 3 weeks. People somberly ate in the restaurant and choked down their food. We placed televisions throughout the lobby area. I was on autopilot and wanted nothing more than to go home. Throughout the hotel strangers were engrossed in deep conversations with one another. When I finally got to go home, I googled newspapers in the Middle East to see what they had to say. One stated that a sleeping giant had been awoken and there was much more turmoil to come. That day is probably the only day that I automatically remember on the month and day even if I haven't been paying attention to the dates.One of the things I took away fro all of this is I wonder why does it seem that only tragedies bring us together as a a unified nation? Forward to today....my house is the only one on the block that has the flag flying.

Chief, when I woke up today one of my first thoughts was if you would post I'm glad you did. Thanks for keeping this going throughout the years.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

:usa:

My life has changed SO much since 9/11, and yet when I read some of these posts and think about that day, it takes me right back there. My girlfriend was the one that told me about it that morning and I did not believe her. Later I actually got in front of a TV and was blown away. My dad was out there on a business trip and I couldn't get a hold of him. Luckily he was fine, but that moment of "what it" has never left me.

Im surprised I never posted in this thread. I work 20 blocks from where the attack took place.My wife called me and said a plane hit the towers but at that point it was thought to be an accident . I thought it was like a personal plane just clipped it or something. She called me back soon after and said now they are saying its terrorism. Then the 2nd plane hit. I wasnt in harms way but being in NYC that day was awful. Swarms of people just wandering the streets. Cell communication cut off. all bridges and tunnels closed so no idea if you can get home if you live out of the city like I did. Mainly you thought about how many people were lost and if you knew any of them as well. My friend had his car in the city but with all outlets closed the only way to get out was the ferry. My friend, brother and I were on a gigantic line to the ferry when they finally opened up the George Washington. We went to his car and got out. My oldest was just a baby. I came home and just hugged her and my wife. It was a numbing experience. That night I find out my friend that I played Pop warner football with in my hometown (his dad and uncle were also my coaches) passed away. He was a hero in every sense of the word. He was a port authority police office that went in to the towers numerous times to save people. The last time he went in he never came out.

Every year we have an event for him on his birthday in June and again on sept 11th. He had a wife and small daughter . His wife was swindled out of her 9/11 money . We raise a lot of money for them every year and we also enjoy honoring him every year. His name was Chris Amoroso. We called him chopper. The sweetest kid you would ever want to know. I used to see him at the bus terminal at least once a week. See some pics and clips below to learn more about him. This kid was as good as gold

https://apjl.com.au/uploads/images/Amoroso.jpg

http://www.voicesofseptember11.org/dev/living_memorial/amoroso_christopher/Amoroso_Chris_Police03_Angel.jpg

http://www.silive.com/september-11/index.ssf/2010/09/christopher_amoroso_29_port_au.html

Edited by whomper
  • Like 6