[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A tribute to the Iron Man of Football

Cowboyz1

297 times Brett Farve took the field to lead his team. It didn't seem to matter that he had a bump or a bruise or a broken thumb or Ankle. Lifes rollercoaster of highs and lows, bounding from Super Bowl victories to the death of your closest and most trusted friend or family member, seemed to have little effect of the Mans' performance. In the age of Concussion awareness the smelling salts just stayed unbroken and stowed away. 297 straight games, Farve took the field, in a day and age that we rarely see a QB make it through one season without missing a game or two let alone 18 consectutive ones. I mean think about that. In 1992 I was just getting out of the Air Force flying back from England a 20 something year old kid. I mean since then, I can remember missing work a few times just because I partied a bit to much the night before. If you think about it, the average QB gets hit at least 5 times a game. That's 80 to 100 times a season or at least 1485 times over his career he has been hit.

Love him or hate hiim, the Man can play football and come Sunday, Iron Man Farve will be ready to lead his team. 297 times we all watched him trot out on the field of battle to wage an ariel attack on his opponent, while dodging 300 pound linemen and blitzing linebackers trying to take him out of the game. For they know the backup has not seen hardly any practice time and the best way to win is to knock out Farve.

Who can forget the comebacks and the rocket throws over the years that seemed to lift his legend higher and higher with each miraculous escape or touchdown pass. Who can forget the night he had when his Father died yet he went out and had one of the most amazing passing days I have ever seen.

You may think Farve is a drama King or what ever, but the fact that he played for 297 games straight without missing one says two things. One, Brett Farve is tough a nails because you can't tell me that over an 18 year career he wasn't hurting so bad some games that it must of been hard to just get out of bed let alone play QB. Two, the man love the game of football and there is no where he would rather be then behind Center on Sundays. Well, to be fair, riding his lawnmower like Forest Gump is a close second.

We can probably assume this will be Farve's last season. The old mans grey beard and tired body show that he has written the final pages on a long and great career. I for one will miss him.

I think I understand why he had such a tough time deciding whether or not he was going to play the last few years. I mean if you played QB for as long as he has, the past three years offseasons must go by so fast that he really trys to buy as much time as possible before going back to the grind. After 15 training camps he couldn't be looking forward to number 16. Nor could he be looking forward to never playing in the NFL again.

I mean think about it, after 18 years and 297 starts as a pro QB, what do you do after that if your Farve. He's not a tv guy, he's not a coach. What's he gonna do that will give him the game day rush?

I wish you the best Farve and you will be missed. I tip my Hat to the Old Iron man of football.

The streak was insane. PON described him best when the Saints were battering him around in the playoffs last year. The guy was like Jason from Friday the 13th. He got crushed, then stood up and went back to the huddle. A warrior for sure

Love him or hate hiim, the Man can play football and come Sunday, Iron Man Farve will be ready to lead his team. 297 times we all watched him trot out on the field of battle to wage an ariel attack on his opponent, while dodging 300 pound linemen and blitzing linebackers trying to take him out of the game. For they know the backup has not seen hardly any practice time and the best way to win is to knock out Farve.

Who can forget the comebacks and the rocket throws over the years that seemed to lift his legend higher and higher with each miraculous escape or touchdown pass. Who can forget the night he had when his Father died yet he went out and had one of the most amazing passing days I have ever seen.

You may think Farve is a drama King or what ever...

Well, if he's not a Drama King, I can think of someone who might be. :wacko:

297 times Brett Farve took the field to lead his team. It didn't seem to matter that he had a bump or a bruise or a broken thumb or Ankle. Lifes rollercoaster of highs and lows, bounding from Super Bowl victories to the death of your closest and most trusted friend or family member, seemed to have little effect of the Mans' performance. In the age of Concussion awareness the smelling salts just stayed unbroken and stowed away. 297 straight games, Farve took the field, in a day and age that we rarely see a QB make it through one season without missing a game or two let alone 18 consectutive ones. I mean think about that. In 1992 I was just getting out of the Air Force flying back from England a 20 something year old kid. I mean since then, I can remember missing work a few times just because I partied a bit to much the night before. If you think about it, the average QB gets hit at least 5 times a game. That's 80 to 100 times a season or at least 1485 times over his career he has been hit.

You may think Farve is a drama King or what ever, but the fact that he played for 297 games straight without missing one says two things. One, Brett Farve is tough a nails because you can't tell me that over an 18 year career he wasn't hurting so bad some games that it must of been hard to just get out of bed let alone play QB. Two, the man love the game of football and there is no where he would rather be then behind Center on Sundays. Well, to be fair, riding his lawnmower like Forest Gump is a close second.

We can probably assume this will be Farve's last season. The old mans grey beard and tired body show that he has written the final pages on a long and great career. I for one will miss him.

I think I understand why he had such a tough time deciding whether or not he was going to play the last few years. I mean if you played QB for as long as he has, the past three years offseasons must go by so fast that he really trys to buy as much time as possible before going back to the grind. After 15 training camps he couldn't be looking forward to number 16. Nor could he be looking forward to never playing in the NFL again.

I mean think about it, after 18 years and 297 starts as a pro QB, what do you do after that if your Farve. He's not a tv guy, he's not a coach. What's he gonna do that will give him the game day rush?

I wish you the best Farve and you will be missed. I tip my Hat to the Old Iron man of football.

Very well said!!!

I have been a Vikings fan since I knew what it meant to be a fan. Brett Favre was one of my most hated football players growing up. Countless times he marched down the field on a two minute drill to have yet another miraculous comeback against my beloved Vikings. As I grew up I still hated Favre but I grew to respect him as a player. "If only he wasn't a Packer..." I would tell myself. The day he was no longer a Packer and went to the Jets, I grew to actually like the guy. When he became a Viking I thought it was blasphemy, but told myself that now he could do for us what he has done so many times against us. Last year was a dream come true. Favre having one of his best seasons, and in a purple and gold jersey, no less. This year, after all he hasn't done, I'm still finding myself cheering for him, not because he's a Viking but because he is one of the greatest QBs to play football. The streak ending was a shame, and I think more and more people in Minnesota have realized that this is more than likely his last season. After all those years playing against the Vikings, Minnesota fans respect him as a player and as a person. He will be missed and remembered as a great player and the Iron Man that he is. My hat goes off to you Mr. Favre.

I have been a Vikings fan since I knew what it meant to be a fan. Brett Favre was one of my most hated football players growing up. Countless times he marched down the field on a two minute drill to have yet another miraculous comeback against my beloved Vikings. As I grew up I still hated Favre but I grew to respect him as a player. "If only he wasn't a Packer..." I would tell myself. The day he was no longer a Packer and went to the Jets, I grew to actually like the guy. When he became a Viking I thought it was blasphemy, but told myself that now he could do for us what he has done so many times against us. Last year was a dream come true. Favre having one of his best seasons, and in a purple and gold jersey, no less. This year, after all he hasn't done, I'm still finding myself cheering for him, not because he's a Viking but because he is one of the greatest QBs to play football. The streak ending was a shame, and I think more and more people in Minnesota have realized that this is more than likely his last season. After all those years playing against the Vikings, Minnesota fans respect him as a player and as a person. He will be missed and remembered as a great player and the Iron Man that he is. My hat goes off to you Mr. Favre.

+4

After eventually and begrudgingly developing respect for Favre as a member of the enemy, it was a treat to have him on the team I cheer for to truly appreciate his love for the game.

2V

Well said.

And, in fairness, that 297 doesn't count play-off games. Why, I have no idea, especially given what the streak means. So, it's really like 321 or something. And that's just flat-out insane. Like others have said, it's too bad that his act got so annoying down the stretch because you simply can't take away from the fact that this is a truly remarkable feat. It's not like he was a punter or something, dude was the single most important player on his team for all 300 of those games and was getting pounded over and over again.

He's got some impressive career stats but this is his most impressive one. And, when all is said and done, will be his primary legacy.

Mike and Mike were talking this morning about which is more impressive - Favre's 297-game streak or Jim marshall's 270-game streak, given the beating taken by a d-lineman on every single down.

Marshall's streak is very impressive. I'd like to see the dropoff behind Marshall of Linemen on the list.

Edited by MikesVikes

I respect the fact that he took the field hurt and toughed it out for as long as he has. He's the physical example of what I'd like to see from a pro athlete.

But... He's done irreperable harm to his reputation by his antics over the past 3 seasons. He could have walked away with the Packers hush money and gone down as one of the all time greats with his reputation intact. Now we all just want him to go away for good.

Every speech is tired and played out. He has no credibility anymore whatsoever IMO. The behavior he's shown over recent years makes me wonder if all his efforts were for the glory of himself just as much for the good of his teams. He's an iron man of an athlete, but he's no role model.

It's Steven's last night in town.

Absolutely one of the greats of our time. He's always played the game like it should be and that gets a lot of respect in my book. I hate how this last year has really put a damper on everything he's done and I wish he would have just ended it on a relative high note last year. Maybe this is what it will finally take for him hang up the cleats.

I respect the fact that he took the field hurt and toughed it out for as long as he has. He's the physical example of what I'd like to see from a pro athlete.

But... He's done irreperable harm to his reputation by his antics over the past 3 seasons. He could have walked away with the Packers hush money and gone down as one of the all time greats with his reputation intact. Now we all just want him to go away for good.

Every speech is tired and played out. He has no credibility anymore whatsoever IMO. The behavior he's shown over recent years makes me wonder if all his efforts were for the glory of himself just as much for the good of his teams. He's an iron man of an athlete, but he's no role model.

Bulldiaper dirt. He had one of his best seasons of his career last year and was this close to taking a Brad Childress coached team to the big one. Injuries to himself and his receivers along with poor line play finally did him in.

Bulldiaper dirt. He had one of his best seasons of his career last year and was this close to taking a Brad Childress coached team to the big one. Injuries to himself and his receivers along with poor line play finally did him in.

I agree, nobody here knows what it is like to have played at his level for so many years and not know what to do next. I can imagine he truly didn't know what he was going to do until they actually got on a plane and got him. I don't think he tried to play it out as much as the media made such a story out of it. The guy just was torn between playing and hanging them up.

I challange any of you who love something as much as he loves football to walk away from it, or make a decision while the whole world is watching you ponder your life. He is a pretty simple guy from what I can tell and I am sure the decision was tough to make every year since GB. Would we be sitting here saying all this negative about him if the Media had just left Farve watch to the Vikings and Farve?

All we would have known was Farve is not sure, until he showed up three weeks before the start of the regular season.

meh, the streak should have been over long ago. he played injured and hurt his team.

Just curious, is this really true? Because I know that people were saying that earlier this year when he was borderline. Then he went out and played a game that T Jackson was not likely capable of playing.

Certainly that wasn't the case last year.

Were there instances in Green Bay where he limped through crappy games?

Honestly, I don't recall.