[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ww pickups week 12

RJV

1. Cecil Shorts (most consistent WR on the Jags/Henne's looking decent, at least better than Rivers/Jags got a good ROS schedule for WRs)

2. TY Hilton (really coming on, with or without Avery. Got a plus matchup next week for WRs and no bad matchups ROS)

3. Justin Blackmon (Shorts without the track record yet -tho he doubled Shorts' targets in this one)

4. Danario Alexander (would rank him higher, but don't trust Rivers, or Alexander's knees)

5. Julian Edelman (more of a speculative add, to see if his role continues to expand with Gronk out)

1. Jalen Parmele (plus matchup next week, 3 down back, until MJD comes back. not a high ceiling but high floor)

2. Beanie Wells (got the starters job back next week. thought his matchups were tough, but actually not too bad when you look at the footballandbrackets site)

3. Mark Ingram (past 3 games, best he's looked. even when sproles comes back, expecting him to get bulk of the running plays. high floor guy right now)

4. Ronnie Hillman (wait and see on mcgahee MRI. if mcgahee is out, he might be the top add cuz of denver's plus schedule the rest of the way)

5. Bryce Brown (just for next week, wait and see on mccoy)

Now IMO Brown should be the #1 on this list simply because of the Eagles dismal season. Why risk playing McCoy.

Let's hear from you all!

Edited by RJV

Picked up Shorts a few weeks ago when he was named to starting WR coming off a bye. Since then he's been outperforming one or more of my regular starters (Calvin, Fitz, Thomas).

I also like Edelman, and have considered adding him and staching for 2013 in my keeper league.

I also picked up Shorts a few weeks ago. He's gonna be in my lineup over Stevie Johnson.

I love the Brown kid. He could catapult a team into the playoffs but fizzle when it counts. Definite grab.

Picked up Wells a few weeks back as well. Stephen-Howlings stats look great on paper, but most of that came on 2 plays. Take those away and he averaged a dismal 2YPC! Great stash if he's still available.

Blackmon? I'll pass

Edleman is interesting. Seems the hot WR during the draft Brandon Lloyd has been demoted out of 2 WR sets. And look for Hernandez to pick up the slack with Gronk out pretty much for the FF season.

I also picked up Shorts a few weeks ago. He's gonna be in my lineup over Stevie Johnson.

I love the Brown kid. He could catapult a team into the playoffs but fizzle when it counts. Definite grab.

Picked up Wells a few weeks back as well. Stephen-Howlings stats look great on paper, but most of that came on 2 plays. Take those away and he averaged a dismal 2YPC! Great stash if he's still available.

Blackmon? I'll pass

Edleman is interesting. Seems the hot WR during the draft Brandon Lloyd has been demoted out of 2 WR sets. And look for Hernandez to pick up the slack with Gronk out pretty much for the FF season.

As opposed to the gaudy YPC that either Wells or Williams were putting up when they were back there?
  • Like 1

As for the RBs, now with the news of McGahee being out, put the following players in order of importance grabbing from the WW.

Hillman

B. Brown

Ingram

My guess is:

Hillman-long term into playoffs

Ingram-finally producing and seems Joe Vitt wants him to be the lead guy finally.

B.Brown-Rental, but could turn into a longer term player possibly a guy you can use for the fantasy playoffs due to the fact, the Eagles are going nowhere so why risk injury to McCoy.

Edited by RJV

If you had to decide between Parmele or Blackmon for a flex, who would you take?

Parmele is 6th round talent that hasn't done jack in 5 years. His schedule is mild genius though and you can probably get at least 1-2 starts out of him before MJD is back (if he comes back).

Blackmon is a mega-talent who had a complete crapballs QB throwing to him. Henne makes him much more interesting, IMO.

Schedule for both is favorable, maybe slightly more so for Blackmon in weeks 15 and 16. Thoughts?

Hillman is a smurf and is completely ineffective between the tackles. I'm not sure how he picks up any of McGahee's role. Ball is a much more apt guy to take on the tough yardage plus he's a great pass protector. He's not very sexy, but he'll give 4 ypc of tough blue collar yardage, which is enough given that DEN's passing game forces the back 7 off the LoS and provides wider running lanes.

That's not to say Hillman won't score any FF pts. I just wouldn't expect him to do much more than he's doing right now - and he's starting to contribute.

Edited by Bronco Billy

FWIW - Rivers' poor play has nothing to do with adding Alexander IMO. SD is going to continue to throw the ball - seriously what other option do they have? Rivers is making some really poor judgments, but he still has a very live arm and obviously is currently smitten with Alexander. Plus SD gets BAL, which has a suspect secondary with injury issues already and now has Reed's suspension. Alexander looks like a great play this coming week and very, very solid the rest of the way as long as he can stay healthy (big if, I know).

Alexander looks like a plum late season add if he's still on your WW.

Can anyone remember a week like this for waiver adds in recent history? I'm going to have trouble figuring out how to prioritize all these claims.

Crazy number of good WW selections. Having Gronk and McGahee go down the same week made the search a bit more intense. Now just have to wait and see who I get.

Hillman is a smurf and is completely ineffective between the tackles. I'm not sure how he picks up any of McGahee's role. Ball is a much more apt guy to take on the tough yardage plus he's a great pass protector. He's not very sexy, but he'll give 4 ypc of tough blue collar yardage, which is enough given that DEN's passing game forces the back 7 off the LoS and provides wider running lanes.

That's not to say Hillman won't score any FF pts. I just wouldn't expect him to do much more than he's doing right now - and he's starting to contribute.

Any feedback on RB of the future (2013 and beyond) for Denver? Is McGahee still the guy assuming he heals properly? Or could Hillman, Ball or Moreno take over (sounds like you think Hillman cannot be the feature back).

Looking towards 2013 and wondering if I should add Ball or Moreno as a prospect.

I have McGahee as well as top waiver priority so the RB situation in Denver is obviously my focal point. Everyone is saying Hillman will be the main beneficiary but I just can't trust a rookie RB staying in most of the game to pass protect for Manning. I tend to agree with the above poster who says Ball will take over, if not immediately then within a week or so. I seem to recall last year he came in while McGahee was out and was competent at least.

It's difficult to spend the #1 waiver spot on what could easily be a RBBC back.

Edited by LvilleSlugger

Hillman has been spelling McGahee for some time now. When McGahee fumbled at Panthers they did not put in Ball they ran Hillman. I guess you can add Ball and Hillman and see what happens , who has the hot hand. Just looking at last few games and it is Hillman that has been most productive. If you have the bench add both but if you have only one spot maybe you should go with different player if you have to win this week

As to the future, it's awfully difficult to say. Given Fox's history, even with guys who by themselves could be bell cows he has seemed to prefer using a RBBC approach. Now that he's getting some pieces in place in DEN, it would not suprise me in the least to see an AFC West version of Davis/Foster Foster/Williams Williams/Stewart,

The last time Fox used a bell cow RB was the only time he has done it as a HC - 9 years ago with Stephen Davis, and that was because he was forced to. The next year he paired Davis with Foster and split carries, and has done so ever since unless injuries have forced him to do otherwise. Even in DWill's big year he was running a 60/40 split with Stewart.

I would expect Fox to go back to his nature, which is a RBBC approach. And if Manning is the QB, RB work is going to be more limited than it was for Fox back in CAR. Just my thoughts on it.

Bronco, I love to hear your input on this.

Is Hillman good enough in his blocking skill to hold off Ball for significant amount of carries or will Ball be put in enough to make him fantasy worthy? Because we all know, Manning needs pass protection and this is a very pivotal part in this offense.

I wasn't fortunate to get Hillman but grabbed Ball. My observation is that Ball is a bullish runner with better than average blocking skill,whereas Hillman is a much more explosive runner but doesn't run through the tackles as well as Ball and doesn't block as well as Ball.

Edited by RJV