[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vernon Davis revival?

Geo33

Is this for real? Are we witnessing Davis turning it up in the second half of the season? I think it's only because Kapernick is in, and Davis will slump when Smith is back. Or maybe I just want that because I acquired Gates in a trade where I sent Vernon Davis. Who knows..what do you guys think?

I know this is pretty difficult for many in FF to believe, but Smith is one of the top QBs in the league in ypa (3rd in the NFL for QBs with 100+ attempts). While Davis is athletic enough to split the deep seam, he also is a great blocker and is also being kept in on some max protects to allow Smith the time he needs to allow his WRs to work their routes deeper downfield. I think he got more attention from Kaepernick because SF shortened and simplified its passing game for him, which meant it was important to get Davis out on routes and as a viable target for the kid, especially when the SF O-line showed it could manage the Bears' D-line.

Personally I see it as a damned shame to waste a talent like Davis instead of his providing hot routes for Smith as well as occasionally getting between Ss, but it has been working for SF and I don't see Harbaugh changing that when Smith returns. Davis has become quite the team leader and has been advocating the way SF uses him with Smith rather than grousing about his lack of opportunities to catch the football. It's commendable and great to see how much he has grown as a player and as a man since coming into the league. Unfortunately, it's not so great for we FF Davis owners.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Can anyone give an expert opinion on tight end rankings for the rest of the season? With factoring in their strength of schedule? I'm thinking definitely Graham and Gonzales at 1 and 2, But then what? It gets a little confusing the rest of the way down.

Can anyone give an expert opinion on tight end rankings for the rest of the season? With factoring in their strength of schedule? I'm thinking definitely Graham and Gonzales at 1 and 2, But then what? It gets a little confusing the rest of the way down.

I'd put Hernandez in with those 2. Then Daniels, Witten next tier. Davis, Myers, Olsen and Gresham in the third tier.

No Gates or Miller? Damn. Just traded away Davis because I thought Gates would be better and more trustworthy down the stretch.

Gates just isn't the same this year. He just seems worn down. Maybe those injuries are catching up. Probably fits in the 4th tier with a few other guys.

Miller is out of the top 3 tiers IMO because Roethlisberger is out.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I can't start him any longer. Heading into the playoffs, I have Jarred Cook sitting on my bench in a 1.5 PPR league. I'll take Cook and 4-5 catches for 40yds over a big fat ZERO!~! This now going to be 6 games where Davis has been held under 5pts in a 1.5 PPR league. Ridiculous.

I can't start him any longer. Heading into the playoffs, I have Jarred Cook sitting on my bench in a 1.5 PPR league. I'll take Cook and 4-5 catches for 40yds over a big fat ZERO!~! This now going to be 6 games where Davis has been held under 5pts in a 1.5 PPR league. Ridiculous.

I thought Special K was your savior? :wink:

Damn I miss having Gronk, who I could always count for at least almost 10 pts a game. Both my subs of Davis and Hernandez combined dont even have 10 pts

Davis getting a zero today actually won me a game, of course that's because my opponent started him.

Edited by irish

So much for that. I guess keeping Delanie Walker in for extra protection and allowing Davis to run a few routes are not an option in SF on some game days.

I agree with the thought that davis is now unstartable unless your TE situation is bleak. It doesn't matter that he's got world-class talent as a receiver. As long as the current system is in place Davis owners will always be running the risk of a 0 or close to it in any game. His lack of production (with couple of other factors) most probably cost me a playoff spot, and there was no reason to foresee that Davis would get get his role diminished so severely this week.