[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone own an African Grey parrot?

Caveman_Nick

We currently own a Green-Cheek Conure. He's a great little bird. He's a bit skittish, but very cuddly once he settle down, and just generally cute and fun.

We have been talking about getting a second bird. The 2 that are in the lead are the Gold Capped Conure and an African Grey. She would prefer the conure because she thinks it will integrate into our house better and not be as polarizing. She's also a little leary of the lifespan of the grey.

I think we can handle a grey and keep it well socialized and balanced. They do tend to bond with one person or bird, but I think that with the proper attention we can keep it from developing severe jealousy.

The thing is that, while we aren't both home for long periods of time evey day, one of us is home for a good amount of time almost every day. And when one of us is home we are at the very least doing whatever it is we are doing near the bird, accomplishing 'flocking', and otherwise actively spending time with him.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't they stink up your house?  Every house I've been into with birds has reeked.

912088[/snapback]

Sure, if the owners are gross people. Our bird bathes at least once a day, gets fresh water twice a day, and has his cage cleaned every day.

You can smell the bird if you are near his cage, but it's certainly not as smelly as having a dog or cat.

any bird is a big committment, but i'm sure you already know that.  even the conure will live 30 years, won't it?  you've already got a conure, i'd say go for the gray.  definitely.  having the other bird and two "parents" will help keep the bird plenty socialized and stimulated.

912094[/snapback]

Yes, the conure will live 30 or so years. The grey closer to 50.

Do you have one? Or do you have friends that do?

Yes, the conure will live 30 or so years.  The grey closer to 50.

Do you have one?  Or do you have friends that do?

912121[/snapback]

i've got a little senegal parrot, but i looked into getting a grey. from what i hear their behavior is good as long as they're not bored. it sounds to me like you've got a pretty good environment for one. if i were in your position, i'd look at it as a chance to bring one of the most intelligent, fascinating creatures in the animal world into your family -- versus getting another conure. conures are cute and all, but.. :D

absolutely go with the grey. best talking parrot and one of the smartest. it sounds like you have the time to devote to it which is a necessity with any parrot. i would be a little concerned about the birds becoming jealous. i've seen one parrot that plucked basically all his feathers off because another bird came to live in the same house. again, since you have the time, shouldn't be a problem. they are tempermental creatures. conures are cool, but you would have someone else to talk too, besides your wife, with the grey. :D

Edited by crispirons

In-laws have a grey, and the hygene really isn't an issue except this freakin' prima-donna bird will throw the seeds he doesn't like from the mix out of the cage onto the floor. He's good-sized so he eats a bunch, and can make quite a mess. He's very tempermental, but he absolutely LOVES my mother-in-law and my wife (even though she isn't over much). He will sit on the shoulder and rub his head on their cheek, play with their earrings, whistle for them, etc.

This f'n bird hates me and the girls, probably because he views us as taking Sandie away from him. He is jealous and tempermental, and if he's "in a bad mood", watch out. I've had all manner of pets, and the five-y/o is a regular Ellie-May, but I just can't trust birds.

Anyway, from what I've seen of them, I would be REALLY leary of bringing one in to that environment unless I could get one that was adolescent or younger. This adult male just has way too much attitude for my tastes, and too easily gets a bee in his bonnet and he will bite, make messes, shriek and generally just wreak havoc if he's upset about something. Frankly, it's like having a spoiled brat 9 y/o who's big and strong enough to do the damage of a 15 y/o.

Oh, they're ministers (so they get to spend plenty of time at home normally), and they are gone to various conferences probably 3-5 times annually, for anywhere from 3 days to a week. That stupid rascal won't "speak" to them for at least three days when they get back, and does his best to let the whole flippin world know he's not happy. He's a spoiled child, I tell ya. He's intentionally torn down curtains, knocks things off of dressers, end/coffee tables, shelves, and even opens the fridge and knocks stuff out on the floor. He'll get in the kitchen sink and turn the water on too (single-handle faucet), bathing himself and then doing his best to get water absolutely everywhere. Did I mention I don't like or trust birds? :D

Well, I brought my wife to a bird store today. At first she was a leary of getting into the discussion about the Greys, but enough people were around with experience and good things to say that put some of her fears to rest. It's not a done deal by any means, but it looks like we might be getting the grey.

Thanks for the input :D

My parents have had an African Grey named Poncho since the early 80s. They had great plans to train him and work with him that kinda fell be the wayside thru the years. He speaks extremely well, just picking up the phrases he hears. When the phone rings, he says. "Hello. Uh-huh. Okay. Bye-bye." Kinda trippy if you're a teenager and you're high and you're home alone. :D

Edited by Big F'n Dave

More brother had this African Gray that was very smart. But the sommitch was temperamental and would bite him if he was mad. I would not abide that. Its like a dog biting his owner, that cannot happen without some serious repercussions for the dog. My dam pet bites me, he wont do it but once. Second time, he will be the main course down at the local Korean Restaraunt...

More brother had this African Gray that was very smart.  But the sommitch was temperamental and would bite him if he was mad.  I would not abide that.  Its like a dog biting his owner, that cannot happen without some serious repercussions for the dog.  My dam pet bites me, he wont do it but once.  Second time, he will be the main course down at the local Korean Restaraunt...

914672[/snapback]

the pet psychology working with birds is so completely different than other pets. their fight-or-flight instinct is on a hair-trigger, as they obviously have natural predators in the wild. as soon as they're afraid, any teaching or discipline you might be trying to accomplish goes completely out the window. so yelling at them or anything like that is totally counter-productive.

the pet psychology working with birds is so completely different than other pets.  their fight-or-flight instinct is on a hair-trigger, as they obviously have natural predators in the wild.  as soon as they're afraid, any teaching or discipline you might be trying to accomplish goes completely out the window.  so yelling at them or anything like that is totally counter-productive.

914824[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying. These birds are incredibly smart but are freakin crazy. If I ever owned one, which I would never do, and it bit me, he would be wrapped in bacon and sitting on my grille within minutes...

• 5 months later...
Taylor said he had also been forced to part with Ziggy after the bird continued to call out Gary's name and refused to stop squawking the phrases in his ex-girlfriend's voice, media reports said.

"I wasn't sorry to see the back of Suzy after what she did, but it really broke my heart to let Ziggy go," he said.

"I love him to bits and I really miss having him around, but it was torture hearing him repeat that name over and over again.

"I still can't believe he's gone. I know I'll get over Suzy, but I don't think I'll ever get over Ziggy."

:D

I read that this morning, and all I could think of was a girl I knew in college her folks had an African Grey. They had to get rid of their dog. The bird would whistle and imitate her dad and it basically drove the dog nuts. It would be fun to own a bird, but with knowing this it might be a little difficult.