[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have to kill a bunch of bees

AtomicCEO

I'm picking up a car tomorrow (towing with a car dolly) that has been poorly stored for a while, and there is a bee's nest in the engine.

I need to work on this car in my garage, and I don't want bees in my garage.

My plan was to get the car on the dolly... nuke it with a death bomb of insect killer... and then drive it home, leaving the airborne bees behind.

Does that make sense? Does anyone have any advice on bee killing or what stuff to use?

I've battled Termites, Ants, Bees, Wasps, Moles [in the house], Yellow jackets, chipmunks, and a wood pecker since buying my house.

Termites -

What a horrible era that was. Pest inspections before you buy your house are almost worthless. unless the inspector drills holes in your walls and uses camera, it is impossible to be certain you do not have termites. They don't always build their mud tunnels where you can see them. One beautiful spring morning I woke up to my wife screaming and crying. I rush down stairs and see her standing in the living room with the vacuum cleaner trying to suck up this black smoke. Well, it wasn't black smoke....it was thousands of termite swarmers that burst into our living room through our wall. Turns out that we had 70% of our entire front wall to our house filled with mud tunnels and termites. The pest inspector we called out estimated it was at least a 15 year old colony. In the end, insurance didn't cover crap, we couldn't get our money back from the inspector who check the house out before we were able to get our mortgage. I had to end up doing everything myself. Had to get my contractor friend to get these huge jacks and brace the front of the house up since it was a load baring wall and replaced all of the studs with pressure treated lumber. Had my wife's pest controller from her church kill the colony off and we put sheet metal all along the slab of the front wall so they couldn't get back in that way.

Ants -

This is a continual battle we fight year round. We have those small black sugar ants. Those f*ckers came in after the termites were killed off. So at various time we will see dozens of ants in our kitchen. nothing too bad but it still sucks.

Bees -

Homes in Bowie are havens for Bees. Each year I remove a nest. They never get too established but it is always in our attic inside of the garage.

Wasps -

Each year I remove at least 4 wasp nests from our front and back porch. This is pretty standard everywhere in Bowie. Nothing too bad but when they start building one under the over hang on the second floor, i can't see them until it is a pretty decent sized nest.

Yellow Jackets -

Oh i really hate these f*ckers. They build their nests in the clay that is all around Bowie. It really great when you are cutting your grass and run over the entrance to one of these nests. you can't hear them because of the lawn mower and by the time you get stung, you already have 20+ on your back. About ten years ago i was cutting the grass in this house i rented and cut up under a bush, there was, unbeknown st to me, a football size yellow jacket nest. They swarmed all over me and i was stung over 20 times before i knew it.

I went running out of the back yard and they followed without a problem, stinging me all the way. I ran down the street, back up the street and kept getting stung. My room mate was laughing because she thought i was joking. I ended up jumping in the neighbor's pool. A little advice, never jump in water when you are being attacked by bees or yellow jackets, they just hang out over the surface of the water and sting you when you come up for breath.

Moles -

When we had the ants start invading us, i put down all of these glue traps in our laundry room. then one day i smelled something foul and checked behind the dryer...there was a dead mole stuck on the glue trap. turns out they dug in under our kitchen sink as the pipes go straight into the dirt there through a small opening in the slab.

chipmunks -

these little sh*ts live under our back deck. there really isn't anything too bad with them and they are kind of cute to see sitting on our railings eating peanuts. the problem is, someone sets out peanuts and they bring them into my yards and i am constantly cleaning up peanut shells.

wood pecker -

Wood peckers are a protected bird in maryland so you can't kill them. Well about a year or more ago, this wood pecker would show up at my house at 6AM and start pecking on the metal air pipe that allows air to escape your plumbing when you run the water or flush the toilet. The one the pecker was pecking on was for the laundry room which is right outside our bedroom window. It would sound like a jack hammer going off at 6 AM.

After days and days of being woken up like this, i took a pellet gun and shot him. he flew away.

All and all, i hate nature.

Jeebus, you people are such pansies with your technology. I'll bet you use fishing poles to catch fish and guns to shoot deer. Listen, bees are animals and the only way we should ever kill animals is to strangle the life out of them with your bare hands. If you don't strangle each and every individual bee with your bare hands, then you are a pansy of epic proportions.

we have a problem with them here at the air force base, all they do is spray them with soapy water. apparently the soap suffocates them sort of speak...this way you might not be a pansey in TimC's eyes since you would be technically choking them.

Bee keepers use foggers to keep the bees calm while they work with them. Do you have like a steamer or something else that you could use to keep a constant smoke/fog around the bees while you snuff their life out?

:wacko: I promise you a steamer will only piss them off.

Beekeepers use wood burning smokers. Not something that will be readily available to your average person. If you could make some kind of makeshift smoker that might help a little. The best solution would be to get a local beekeeper to remove it for you. Given the situation with honey bees right now one may be happy to do it. You really need to find out what they are nesting in too. If it's inside a car part then that may be your only solution since most sprays & insecticides will only kill what's on the outside. You may weaken the colony enough to make them leave, but that will take some time. Much like ants you have to kill the queen or make her leave in order to get rid of the bees. The only other solution I can think of is to try getting one of those bug killing foggers & sticking it under the car.

Edited by rajncajn

I'm picking up a car tomorrow (towing with a car dolly) that has been poorly stored for a while, and there is a bee's nest in the engine.

I need to work on this car in my garage, and I don't want bees in my garage.

My plan was to get the car on the dolly... nuke it with a death bomb of insect killer... and then drive it home, leaving the airborne bees behind.

Does that make sense? Does anyone have any advice on bee killing or what stuff to use?

Can you make the car run? If so just charge the battery and spray a bunch of ether in the air intake. Fire up the car and the bees will be incinerated in the cylinders and easily disposed of out the exhaust.

I've battled Termites, Ants, Bees, Wasps, Moles [in the house], Yellow jackets, chipmunks, and a wood pecker since buying my house.

Termites -

What a horrible era that was. Pest inspections before you buy your house are almost worthless. unless the inspector drills holes in your walls and uses camera, it is impossible to be certain you do not have termites. They don't always build their mud tunnels where you can see them. One beautiful spring morning I woke up to my wife screaming and crying. I rush down stairs and see her standing in the living room with the vacuum cleaner trying to suck up this black smoke. Well, it wasn't black smoke....it was thousands of termite swarmers that burst into our living room through our wall. Turns out that we had 70% of our entire front wall to our house filled with mud tunnels and termites. The pest inspector we called out estimated it was at least a 15 year old colony. In the end, insurance didn't cover crap, we couldn't get our money back from the inspector who check the house out before we were able to get our mortgage. I had to end up doing everything myself. Had to get my contractor friend to get these huge jacks and brace the front of the house up since it was a load baring wall and replaced all of the studs with pressure treated lumber. Had my wife's pest controller from her church kill the colony off and we put sheet metal all along the slab of the front wall so they couldn't get back in that way.

Ants -

This is a continual battle we fight year round. We have those small black sugar ants. Those f*ckers came in after the termites were killed off. So at various time we will see dozens of ants in our kitchen. nothing too bad but it still sucks.

Bees -

Homes in Bowie are havens for Bees. Each year I remove a nest. They never get too established but it is always in our attic inside of the garage.

Wasps -

Each year I remove at least 4 wasp nests from our front and back porch. This is pretty standard everywhere in Bowie. Nothing too bad but when they start building one under the over hang on the second floor, i can't see them until it is a pretty decent sized nest.

Yellow Jackets -

Oh i really hate these f*ckers. They build their nests in the clay that is all around Bowie. It really great when you are cutting your grass and run over the entrance to one of these nests. you can't hear them because of the lawn mower and by the time you get stung, you already have 20+ on your back. About ten years ago i was cutting the grass in this house i rented and cut up under a bush, there was, unbeknown st to me, a football size yellow jacket nest. They swarmed all over me and i was stung over 20 times before i knew it.

I went running out of the back yard and they followed without a problem, stinging me all the way. I ran down the street, back up the street and kept getting stung. My room mate was laughing because she thought i was joking. I ended up jumping in the neighbor's pool. A little advice, never jump in water when you are being attacked by bees or yellow jackets, they just hang out over the surface of the water and sting you when you come up for breath.

Moles -

When we had the ants start invading us, i put down all of these glue traps in our laundry room. then one day i smelled something foul and checked behind the dryer...there was a dead mole stuck on the glue trap. turns out they dug in under our kitchen sink as the pipes go straight into the dirt there through a small opening in the slab.

chipmunks -

these little sh*ts live under our back deck. there really isn't anything too bad with them and they are kind of cute to see sitting on our railings eating peanuts. the problem is, someone sets out peanuts and they bring them into my yards and i am constantly cleaning up peanut shells.

wood pecker -

Wood peckers are a protected bird in maryland so you can't kill them. Well about a year or more ago, this wood pecker would show up at my house at 6AM and start pecking on the metal air pipe that allows air to escape your plumbing when you run the water or flush the toilet. The one the pecker was pecking on was for the laundry room which is right outside our bedroom window. It would sound like a jack hammer going off at 6 AM.

After days and days of being woken up like this, i took a pellet gun and shot him. he flew away.

All and all, i hate nature.

I do believe you have the worst luck of anyone I've ever heard. My heart goes out to you sir. :wacko:

I do believe you have the worst luck of anyone I've ever heard. My heart goes out to you sir. :wacko:

Not really, if you think about it, almost any home owner battles pests year round. Its just that Bowie was built on a historic orchard which dates back to the 1700s. The Provincial Governor of Maryland, Samuel Ogle lived in Belair Mansion right down the road from my house. All of the city of Bowie was a giant plantation/ orchards. When they began developing back in the 60s, a lot of trees were dug up. These trees attracted vast colonies of termites to the area because they were not indigences to Maryland and therefore did not have the proper natural defenses to fight off termites.

Once homes began being built, the termites simply adapted. Since where we live is on the outskirts of the Chesapeake Bay [8 miles away] and between the Potomac River [12 miles away], Patuxent River [1,000 yards from my front door] and the fact that a vast majority of the land in this area is swampy, we have a lot of bugs/bees.

It happens.