[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peter Boulware released

justin

Peter Boulware was released today by the Ravens:

Baltimore Sun

Ravens release Boulware

Linebacker missed entire 2004 season with injuries; Nine-year veteran ranks as franchise's all-time leader in sacks

Baltimoresun.com Staff

Originally published May 11, 2005, 4:50 PM EDT

The Baltimore Ravens have terminated the contract of outside linebacker Peter Boulware, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome announced today.

Boulware, a nine-year NFL veteran, is the franchise's all-time leader in sacks with 67.5. In his time with the Ravens, he was named to four Pro Bowls (1998, 1999, 2002 and 2003) and totaled 487 career tackles.

Boulware missed all of last season following offseason knee surgery. He attempted to return to the team in November, but his recovery was hampered by turf toe and he was placed on injured reserve.

"Due to the play of Adalius Thomas and the drafting of Dan Cody, we decided to terminate Peter Boulware," Newsome said in a release. "Peter has been a major contributor to the success of our organization both on and off the field. As others who have departed this year, whether it has been by termination or free agency, we feel that Peter will continue to be a successful player in this league."

In addition to adding Cody, a second-round draft pick from Oklahoma, the Ravens also signed free-agent linebackers Tommy Polley and Jim Nelson this offseason. Polley is expected to start at one outside spot, replacing Ed Hartwell, who left via free agency and signed with Atlanta.

Boulware, the No. 4 overall draft pick in 1997 out of Florida State, saw action in 111 games with Baltimore, starting 102. He led the AFC and was second in the NFL with a career-high 15 sacks in 2001, when he switched from linebacker to defensive end for the final six games of the season.

Boulware was named Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1997 after posting 11.5 sacks. He also earned the Ed Block Courage Award following the 1999 season, when he played with a shoulder harness to support his dislocated shoulder and still managed 10 sacks.

Come on Swiss... We learned from Hardy Nickerson... Old injury prone linebackers are a no go...

810587[/snapback]

I'm not suggesting we pay him a lot. In fact, that's why I said it almost certainly wouldn't happen; another team is probably going to pay him more than we would.

man he'd look playin with his lil brother.  don't think we have any money after the huge signings of Jerome Pathon, Joe Jurevicius and Bryce Fisher.

811006[/snapback]

There's always money.....I'd take a shot on him. I wouldn't count on it, but he might have the best outside rush of anyone on the Hawks as it is.

Ravens where looking to pay him $2 million plus an other $2 million in incentives. Boulware figured he'd see what he could get on the free agent market.

The Ravens save like $300,000 against the cap. He'll still count between 6 and 7 million against the cap this year, but will count nothing against the cap next year. The Ravens hate having dead money, hence the cut before June 1.

man he'd look playin with his lil brother. 

811006[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Boulware was part of my favorite FSU defense. I believe it was 96-97 with him and and Andre Wadsworth, Reinard Wilson, and Sam Cowart(lb). No o-line could stop those guys. I believe it was something like 9 opposing QBs that were taken out that year. Man, it was awesome.

Edited by Vote Quimby2

I wonder what he'll wind up getting. He's entering his 9th year and hasn't played a down since week 16 of 2003. He missed the Ravens finale that year as well as the playoff game against the Titans, not to mention all of last year.

He's a total stud when healthy and a great guy to have on your team. Hopefully he's got a few years left in him.

I think this is the beginning of the changing of the old guard for the Ravens. Save for Ogden, R. Lewis and Stover, there are no more originaly Ravens left. Boulware was our 1st rounder in our second draft. Orlando Brown may have been with the team our first year, but he was with Cleveland for a while as well as off the field for a few years.

Look for Ed Reed, Chris McAllister, Terrell Suggs, Kyle Boller, Mark Clayton and Todd Heap to be the face as I bet they are the big name players in 3-5 years. If Ray Lewis has more than 3 years left, I'll be a little surprised.

There's always money.....I'd take a shot on him. I wouldn't count on it, but he might have the best outside rush of anyone on the Hawks as it is.

811011[/snapback]

Hell Yeah! C'mon Ruskell, pick up the PHONE!

Look for Ed Reed, Chris McAllister, Terrell Suggs, Kyle Boller, Mark Clayton and Todd Heap to be the face as I bet they are the big name players in 3-5 years.  If Ray Lewis has more than 3 years left, I'll be a little surprised.

811431[/snapback]

Isn't J Lewis only like 25 or 26?

Isn't J Lewis only like 25 or 26?

811616[/snapback]

Jamal is young, however he is a running back. He's about to enter his 6th year in the pros, although he missed 1 with an injury. Since I'm talking 3-5 years down the road, I'm talking 9-11 years in the league for Lewis. He may be on the team, but he won't be the top name he is today, especailly with his hard running style.

Big Red, great insight. For those of you who may not have noticed, we have a new forum, for IDP stuff just like this. I'm not saying this is the wrong forum, it isnt, but for more info on Boulware, and other D player news, be sure to check this new forum.