[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson

Avernus

At least at this point, it seems like all the depth charts, (including the huddle's) have Benson pegged as the starter now..over Jones. I'm wondering if they just have him there because he's been drafted that high, and will be the starter regardless...

What's your take?

thomas jones isn't going down without a fight. i read an article and he seems pretty determined about keeping his job. determined, but willing to help cedric learn. if benson doesn't get signed soon, the farther he falls behind. could push his starting status back a few weeks. you can read a playbook all you want, but seeing/doing it is different. a thing called timing. on talent alone, he should be starting though.

it's Benson's job to lose. If the Bears weren't a young, bad team, they could say they are trying to play the best available player and giving the team the best chance to win. Since they are a young, bad team, they want Benson to get good as soon as possible to give some hope for the future of this franchise. At this point, the Bears need to create some excitement within the team, rookies do that quite nicely.

I'm actually in Chicago for a seminar right now, and spent my lunch reading over multiple local columns about the Bears. Figured why I'm here, I might as well do something more important than my job. :D

Anyway, all the newspapers here locally have Lovie Smith saying that he really wants Cedric to get into camp, and that he's already established a relationship with him and wants him to get the work in, because HE is expecting great things from him this season........Most of the articles characterized Lovie's relationship with Cedric as someone he wanted to take under his wing and mentor and bring along.......Lovie was worried about Cedric falling farther and farther behind, but felt that if something got done soon, he'd be able to catch up......

With that it sounded like the job was his and I'd be very very surprised if Jones started over him.....

that's the point i was waiting for. the kid has to get in camp. not sure what he is doing or if the terrell owens of the world are rubbing off the rookies, but these guys need to quit thinking they are worth more when they haven't taken an nfl snap yet. you don't think nfl owners know who ryan leaf is?

cedric needs to get into camp if he wants to win/keep that starting spot.

cedric needs to get into camp if he wants to win/keep that starting spot.

907622[/snapback]

That is apparent.

However, Benson and his agent blame the team, and the team blames Benson. Personally... I blame Benson for rejecting an offer, then refusing to talk to the team for 8 days. What does that negotiating tactic do for someone who needs to get into camp to win the job?

That is apparent.

However, Benson and his agent blame the team, and the team blames Benson.  Personally... I blame Benson for rejecting an offer, then refusing to talk to the team for 8 days.  What does that negotiating tactic do for someone who needs to get into camp to win the job?

907801[/snapback]

He went to TU. That school is not exactly know for its academics.

We need to remember what happened last year in SD, Rivers held out too long and couldn't even get a chance to steal the job from Brees.

I know that QB and RB are entirely different, but it's not like Thomas Jones is a scrub either. Is the gap wider between Jones and Benson than it was between Rivers and Brees?

Sounds to me like Cedric better get his azz in camp.

We need to remember what happened last year in SD, Rivers held out too long and couldn't even get a chance to steal the job from Brees.

I know that QB and RB are entirely different, but it's not like Thomas Jones is a scrub either.  Is the gap wider between Jones and Benson than it was between Rivers and Brees?

Sounds to me like Cedric better get his azz in camp.

907920[/snapback]

But Brees lit the world on fire early on last year...somehow I don't see Jones doing that...with that said, he better get to camp soon.

907920[/snapback]

The flip side to this is that Rivers did get rewarded with a ridiculously lucrative contract. So... while it didn't pan out great for Rivers long-term football goals because he didn't get the starting job.... it was a jackpot for his agent's shorter term financial goals.

Who's leading the negotiating here? The guy who want a career, or the guy who wants a payday? :D

There's nothing much to add from this Bears' homer. It is frustrating not to see Benson in camp, but also reading between the lines, it is evident they do like Thomas Jones quite a bit. It's not like they're going to cast him to the curb the moment Benson gets into camp.

Benson and his agent are making a hugh mistake by not getting practice time and missing the HOF game on Monday.

Smith wanted him to play in this game and most likely that is not going to happen at this point in time.

IMO, the longer the hold out continues, the more of a chance you'll see RBBC through week 4, maybe 5, 6.....and he's not going to get any benefit of the doubt here in Chicago when he makes mistakes--this holdout is just giving the impression that he is above the team and he's leaving little room for error with the fans, that can be rabid at times.

This from one of the local papers.

Bears awaiting response on latest Benson offer

August 3, 2005

BY BRAD BIGGS STAFF REPORTER

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- At least one fresh proposal has been made in contract talks between the Bears and the agent for running back Cedric Benson.

The sides talked again Tuesday in conceptual terms about a contract for the first-round pick, who has missed 10 days of camp.

In the early evening, the Bears were waiting for agent Eugene Parker to respond to a proposal, but that might not happen until today with negotiations moving slowly since the parties resumed talking Sunday.

At this point, it's assured Benson will not play in the Hall of Fame Game on Monday night against Miami. Neither will Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown, drafted second overall, two slots ahead of Benson. A Miami Herald report indicated the sides were $3 million apart on bonus money, with the club offering $19 million guaranteed over six seasons. Benson figures to be seeking $17 million over five seasons and perhaps $21 million over six.

Because No. 1 pick Alex Smith and No. 5 pick Cadillac Williams got healthy increases over the players taken in their slots a year ago, Benson, Brown and No. 3 pick Braylon Edwards are able to maintain solid ground in negotiations. Smith's deal was a 17 percent increase over what Eli Manning received in 2004, and Williams' contract was a 15 percent increase over Sean Taylor's. Because last year's No. 4 pick, San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, received the second-best contract in the draft, Parker and the Bears are struggling to find a common ground from which to start.

But Brees lit the world on fire early on last year...somehow I don't see Jones doing that...with that said, he better get to camp soon.

907995[/snapback]

Jones was the offense last year. He kicked but. Before Grossman went down, he had some very good games (with no real threat of a passing attack). ONCE Grossman went down, the D knew what the QB was going to do on EVERY play - give the ball to Jones - and he still did very well. Heck, I think that Jones was the leading reciever on the team as well. Drafting Benson was a real kick in the balls to TJ

also dont forget last year with rex at QB, thomas was leading the NFC in yards after the 4 week, it could be 3rd, but the point is when rex was playing thomas was looking a lot better.

but i think by week 4 this year C.benson will be starting

i would darft him for my first back up running back position.

If the Bears thought that Jones was going to be the starter this year they would have drafted a WR instead of a running back.

Yes Jones did well the first couple of weeks but the Bears finished 25th in rushing offence. A good running back over comes being the key of the defences' pressure.

But with that said if Benson doesn't pull his head out of his A$$ pretty quick and gets into camp he is going to be so far behind, and they will have no choice but to start Jones.

Edited by VikesGuy

A good running back over comes being the key of the defences' pressure.

908414[/snapback]

Come on now. Did you watch any Bears games? What you said is true - in all but the worst of circumstances - but you do not get too much worse than the bs that TJ had to deal with last year. Again - look at the passing numbers. Then look at TJs receiving numbers. They only reason the clowns they put in completed any passes was because TJ was catching them.

Edited by Duchess Jack

They only reason the clowns they put in completed any passes was because TJ was catching them.

908432[/snapback]

That is my point if Jones was going to be the starter they why would they draft a RB instaed of a WR. Do you want your leading reciever to be a running back?

But Jones will make a great 3rd down back!!!

Edited by VikesGuy

That is my point if Jones was going to be the starter they why would they draft a RB instaed of a WR.  Do you want your leading reciever to be a running back?

But Jones will make a great 3rd down back!!!

908449[/snapback]

they probably want a powerback I guess...

they probably want a powerback I guess...

908459[/snapback]

From what I have seen, the guy is an ox. fought like hell for those tough yards (like there was any threat of a pass - or a catch). H did as well as any other back in his situation would have.

I think that the Bears made a mistake on this one. Benson might turn out to be all world - but until that happens, big mistake.

he's not exactly the same back...and Gruden didn't want to let him go...but they had too many backs...

908488[/snapback]

They had two backs who beat out Jones... and a year later, Tampa drafted a new back to replace both of them!

That puts Jones 4 deep to Tampa's rookie...