[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taylor or Polamalu

With Taylors recent legal issues it could be a sign of things to come. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Polamalu for Taylor straight up deal. I currently own Taylor. Any thoughts? Last year they posted very similar numbers and both players are very close in age.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming in late but I'll post anyway.

This is a tough decision. I watched Polamalu extensively out here in SoCal when he played for 'SC, and I'm a big 'Skins fan who is a huge believer in Taylor's talent. In truth, in the short term I don't think you can go wrong here. Both guys figure to put up big numbers.

First of all, the big wild card is Taylor's legal troubles which are well documented. As a 'Skins fan, I'm rooting for him but even I truly can't tell you what the outcome will be. My gut tells me he'll get the Jamal Lewis treatment at worst and won't miss any PT because of this. The wild card in this mix is the tough FL gun laws which mandate certain minimum sentences, which in this case are three years; the max is 15 years. Still, I think this will get pled out somehow and will be resolved.

As for Taylor's on-field talent, I've said this before and I stand by it. He's a once-in-a-decade talent at safety. The Ronnie Lott comparisons are not overstatements. He's easily the most physically talented guy on that defense, and that defense is full of talented guys.

Here's what makes him an IDP stud in my book. Look at the last 8 games last year (which is fair because by that point he had learned a complex defense and had also already served his team-imposed DUI arrest suspension). In my league's pretty standard IDP scoring, he averaged exactly 10 points per game. Extended across an entire season, that of course translates to 160 points, or second place among safeties in my league, only 5 points less than Ed Reed had. Only 6 guys had more than 130 points, and only 8 had more than 120. You start getting some pretty nice VBD numbers out of that. And he's only going to get better. Gregg Williams knows exactly how to use him to maximize his impact on the game.

In contrast, Polamalu "only" averaged 8 points per game over that same stretch. That 8/game was below his seasonal average which came to around 8.55 points per game or so (he's one of the six who exceeded 130 points). While it's stud material, it's still below Taylor's pace.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Taylor is more likely to be "featured" in his defense than Polamalu is in his, meaning that I can see more of the 'Skins' defensive schemes being specifically designed for Taylor's talents than I can Polamalu's - admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Pittsburgh's defense as I am with the 'Skins, but in my view the Steelers try to feed their LB's as many plays as possible and they're very worried about getting eaten alive by passing teams like they were a couple of years ago.

Bottom line: if you're risk averse as to Taylor's legal troubles, you go with Polamalu. If you're looking to lock up a guy who is a potential top IDP safety, you go with Taylor. Both are young and healthy, so it's a judgment call.

Edited by redman