[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moss on grass fields

The Grey Pilgrim

Almost every publication/internet site seems to have Moss ranked No. 1, or No. 2 in the WR rankings. I am in position in two of my drafts to take Moss this year, by having the 9th pick out of 10 teams and the 13th pick in a 14 team league.

But I did find one publication (don't remember the name though) that had "red flags" on drafting Moss (as high as it will take to get him anyway), and it was based on a very very poor track record of Moss playing on grass. It does seem clear that Moss would likely put up better stats on turf, as most players do.

Did I read the article correctly? Is there a huge difference in Moss's stats over the years, on turf versus grass? I'd appreciate any statistics or opinions regarding Moss's value this year.

I like what appears to be a very deep RB situation this year, and could see me taking Moss and another stud WR to start the draft, and then taking a few lower ranked RB's in round 3 and 4. But I do worry about the effect of the grass fields on Moss.

games on grass last year

at Philly: 8 catches 69 yards 1 TD

at Hous: 5 catches 90 yards 2TD

at Chic: 4 catches 31 yards

at Wash: 5 catches 66 yards 1 TD

at GB: 4 catches 70 yards 2 TD (play-offs)

at Philly: 3 catches 51 yards (play-offs)

games on grass in 2003

at GB: 9 catches 150 yards 1 TD

at SD: 11 catches 120 yards 1 TD

at Oak: 4 catches 25 yards

at Chic: 9 catches 93 yards 1 TD

at Ariz: 5 catches 53 yards 1 TD

games on grass in 2002

at Chic: 6 catches 58 yards 1 TD

at NY: 4 catches 86 yards

at TB: 4 catches 41 yards

at NE: 8 catches 92 yards

at GB: 3 catches 25 yards 1 TD

games on grass in 2001

at Chic: 5 catches 81 yards

at TB: 3 catches 49 yards 1 TD

at Pitt: 8 catches 144 yards 1 TD (I think Heinz Field is partially grass, partially artificial)

at GB: 2 catches 10 yards

I am in position in two of my drafts to take Moss this year, by having the 9th pick out of 10 teams and the 13th pick in a 14 team league. 

915513[/snapback]

I wouldn't be sure you'll even get one shot at Moss, he should be gone by the 13th pick for sure, and getting him with the ninth pick may not happen either, it only takes one guy ahead of you to pick him. His ADP from MFL is 14.15, which has him 12th to go, and his ADP is less than one pick later the 9th player taken.

-DD21

True Dat, DD. But I want to have my ducks in a row just in case Moss is out there. I don't steer away from the RB's in the early rounds very often, but this is a year that I believe I can compete with 2 stud WR's, and 2 lesser RB's.

Thanks for the help on the topic. I checked NFL.com as an earlier Huddler recommended, and it appears that Moss' performance was similar on grass or turf. He just had lower totals on grass (and fewer games played on grass).

I don't have the exact breakdown of surfaces around the league, but there are lots of FieldTurf surfaces these days, which doesn't get as boggy and overgrown (obviously) as real grass sometimes can. Again, not sure how many games Moss plays on FieldTurf this season, but I think it'd be better/faster that REAL grass.

Radio :D and I play on FieldTurf on many fields in the semi-pros up here in Boston and the stuff is pretty d@mn fast.

True Dat, DD.  But I want to have my ducks in a row just in case Moss is out there.  I don't steer away from the RB's in the early rounds very often, but this is a year that I believe I can compete with 2 stud WR's, and 2 lesser RB's.

Thanks for the help on the topic.  I checked NFL.com as an earlier Huddler recommended, and it appears that Moss' performance was similar on grass or turf.  He just had lower totals on grass (and fewer games played on grass).

915724[/snapback]

Antsports has him going 14th in 14 team flex prf leagues and 9th in 12 teamers. You have a shot at him.