[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Madden 2006 Curse!

Primetime9287

Could everything that has happened with the Philadelphia Eagles this off season be because of the so-called Madden Curse?!? I mean, Donovan McNabb is on the front cover of the game. Let's look back at what has happened with Philadelphia...

1. TO has been a pain in the arse!

2. DE McDougle was Shot.

3. Pinkston was lost for the Year.

4. Buckhalter reinjured his knee.

5. Westbrook was holding out and Corey Simon still is.

6. Ryan Moats suffered a concussion.

I'm waiting for this story to actually come out. They are always quick to jump on this. Wasn't Eddie George terrible in 2001, Faulk never the same after 2002, and Vick hurt in 2004, all because of the curse? :D

The curse doesn't involve the team it involves the player on the cover.

916620[/snapback]

Maybe it is the team. When George was on the cover, the Titans went 7-9. When Faulk was on the cover, the Rams went 7-9. C-Pep 6-10, Vick 5-11, Ray Lewis 9-7 :D

Edited by Primetime9287

I don't think Culpepper or Ray Lewis had any issues after being on the cover.

916632[/snapback]

Here's a history of the Madden Curse (from Wikipedia).

Prior to 2000, all of the Madden NFL game box covers prominently featured John Madden only. When EA started to have NFL players on the cover of the Madden NFL games, some people speculate there was a "Madden curse" after noticing a pattern when Atlanta Falcons' star player, Michael Vick was injured during the 2003 preseason after appearing on the cover of Madden 2004. Some of the people that believed in the curse stated that the player featured on the box would get injured or simply have a weak season.

The first NFL player to be on a Madden NFL cover was Barry Sanders in 1999, on the 2000 version of the game. He shared the cover with the customary picture of John Madden. However, a week before training camp began in 1999, he abruptly retired, ending his career and leaving the Detroit Lions without their star running back of the previous 10 years. Sanders' part in the curse is debated because he is not soley pictured on the box.

Eddie George of the Tennessee Titans, who graced the 2001 box, was the second cursed player. He was cursed by bobbling a pass in the playoffs, which was then picked by Ray Lewis, who returned the ball for a touchdown. He was also injured the following year. George, who regularly averaged nearly 4 yards per carry in his first five seasons, averaged only 3 yards per carry in the 2001 season, and hasn't broken 3.5 yards since.

In 2002, it was Daunte Culpepper, of the Minnesota Vikings, who had a lackluster year and feuded with his star receiver Randy Moss. In the two years that followed, the usually efficient Culpepper threw for 32 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.

Marshall Faulk, of the St. Louis Rams, who was on the 2003 box suffered an injury and had a bad season overall. He has yet to break 1,000 yards rushing since.

The aforementioned Michael Vick, of the Atlanta Falcons, suffered a broken fibula in a pre-season game against Baltimore. Ironically this happened the day after Madden 2004 was released. The result of that injury would be that the Falcons would suffer a painful 5-11 year. The most recent version, Madden 2005, featured Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens. He had an injury that kept him out of the last game of the regular season against the Miami Dolphins. The Ravens won, but missed the playoffs altogether.

Electronic Arts officials point out that Ray Lewis and former Tennessee Titan Eddie George appeared on the covers of the 2005 and 2001 versions, correspondingly, and had successful seasons without injury. [1]

Philadelphia Eagles' star quarterback Donovan McNabb will be on the cover for the upcoming Madden NFL 06.

Ray Lewis had the best "cursed" season, though he did get hurt.

More importantly, Madden has been slowly going senile since exiting he cover.

As far as Ray Lewis, I belive he got arrested after being on the cover but it didn't effect his play negatively.

Maybe it is the team.  When George was on the cover, the Titans went 7-9.  When Faulk was on the cover, the Rams went 7-9.  C-Pep 6-10, Vick 5-11, Ray Lewis 7-9  :D

916662[/snapback]

I am sure you are right since the best player on each team is on the cover so it makes sense.

As far as Ray Lewis, I belive he got arrested after being on the cover but it didn't effect his play negatively.

916694[/snapback]

No, Lewis got arrested long before being on the cover of the Madden game.

He may have gotten arrested again afterwards, but not for murder or anything like the first time. Maybe for drug trafficking, rape, or assault and battery, or something petty like that - but not for murder. Nothing the media would consider newsworthy. :D

I for one believe in the Madden curse. I like Madden, but when a fat old senile geezer like him decides that you are the best player in the NFL, and the one that is worthy of gracing the cover of the best and most popular sports video game ever, there is nowhere to go but down.

I wish he put Tom Brady on the cover. Could have had a nice picture of him with his little man-purse.

Maybe it is the team.  When George was on the cover, the Titans went 7-9.  When Faulk was on the cover, the Rams went 7-9.  C-Pep 6-10, Vick 5-11, Ray Lewis 7-9  :D

916662[/snapback]

Small correction: The Ravens were 9-7 last year

Not at all, I wouldn't have drafted him if he wasn't on the cover either.

916785[/snapback]

You just don't like McNabb; nothing wrong with that cause everyone has their opinions. Not cause of the curse though. Someone please tell me that they are so scared to draft McNabb just because of the curse.

You just don't like McNabb; nothing wrong with that cause everyone has their opinions. Not cause of the curse though. Someone please tell me that they are so scared to draft McNabb just because of the curse.

916793[/snapback]

I am so scared to draft McNabb just because of the curse.

916694[/snapback]

he was on last years cover....but he has also been labeled as 'washed up' last year...or a mere shadow of what he once was...

I'm just saying people should be looking at other things then the curse to decide to draft a player or not.

916806[/snapback]

Agreed. I won't draft McNabb for a variety of reasons - the curse is just the most fun.

wasnt lewis exposed slightly last year?  didnt teams learn to run at him and were successful.  i know the steelers and chiefs did a pretty good job of it..  but i dont know who else.

916882[/snapback]

The notion that Lewis was exposed last year is so stupid. I'm not dissing you jjpro, don't think that please. I have heard this from other people and I couldn't disagree more. Lewis I still think is probably one of the top three defenders in the league. I would probably say he is the TOP defender. Show me other MLB's that do great without a huge man stuffin the line. He is playing in a new defense this year, one that he will be able to roam around again. He is gonna be top notch once again.

• 2 months later...