[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kris Mangum/Freddie Jones

jaxfactor

Hi guys(and gals)! I'm back for my second of what I hope will be a lifetime

of seasons with The Huddle. Back to defend my titles and give credit to alot

of you people 'cause y'all helped me out a bunch!

Now on to my question as trivial as it may seem.

With the retirement of Freddie Jones, is Kris Mangum worth a crap on draft day

as maybe a late round TE possibility? Will Carolina use the TE more now with the

depature of Muhammed?

Thanks and LET'S GET READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

Hi guys(and gals)!  I'm back for my second of what I hope will be a lifetime

of seasons with The Huddle.  Back to defend my titles and give credit to alot

of you people 'cause y'all helped me out  a bunch!

Now on to my question as trivial as it may seem.

With the retirement of Freddie Jones, is Kris Mangum worth a crap on draft day

as maybe a late round TE possibility?  Will Carolina use the TE more now with the

depature of Muhammed? 

Thanks and LET'S GET READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

917066[/snapback]

I don't think the TE will see a radical increase in looks for the Panthers due to Muhammed's departure, as Steve Smith will merely fill those shoes. And with Colbert, Gardner, and Proehl at WR, it's not like there isn't anyone else to throw to.

However, as a late round TE Mangum isn't all bad. He was the Panther's 5th most targeted player in the passing game last year (targeted 58 times) and caught a higher percentage of the passes thrown his way (58.6%) than Muhammed (55.4%), Colbert (47%), or Proehl (45.9%). Only Nick Goings saw more opportunities in the passing game (64 passes) *and* had a higher reception ratio (70.3%).

Bottom line: Mangum had 6 games last year where they threw him the ball 5 times or more (sort of an arbitrary cut off for fantasy significance, in my book). With Freddie Jones gone (he was more of a pass catcher than a blocker), Mangum will likely inherit the lead pass-catching TE duties for the Panthers. However, since the squad only sporadically passes to the TE, Mangum will likely lack the every-week consistency that fantasty squads crave.

Edited by yo mama