[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My last post on the Owens Fiasco

DMD

Probably the most ridiculous situation I have ever seen in the NFL in my entire life. This article says about everything you need to know. There is no happy ending here. No way.

From Jay Glazer with FoxSports

Getting off to a bad start

The juiciest nugget I came away with was an incident that occurred on the first night of camp in an elevator, and it showed just how bad things could be between the star receiver and his fellow Eagles Pro Bowlers.

The account is written with tidbits I pieced together, and the quotes are paraphrases of what was said between three of the Eagles' biggest names. The story is as follows:

On the opening night of camp, Donovan McNabb, Hugh Douglas and Terrell Owens were together in an elevator. It was McNabb's first brush with Owens and the quarterback, always the entertainer, playfully slid up next to Owens to break the ice. Rather than return the playful banter, Owens said something along the lines of, "Nah, I don't play that" or "I'm not having that and I've got nothing to say to you."

Douglas turned and snapped at Owens and said something like, "We're not having any of THAT! You aren't going to tear this team up." Owens blurted back something akin to, "I've got nothing to say to you two haters."

Douglas went ballistic and told Owens he's lucky he's not getting punched in the mouth, and if Douglas could do so without repercussions from coach Andy Reid he would follow through on his threat. Owens' response was along the lines of, "Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do."

Douglas, who others said was more than agitated, told Owens he'd get him on the field, which didn't happen as Owens has been hampered by a groin injury. But right from the start, rather than put the whole thing to rest, T.O. put both McNabb and Douglas on the freeze, even when he saw it could lead to a physical altercation with a man most would avoid ticking off.

The team's feeling toward Owens apparently has not lightened up at all. Upon learning Owens was going to speak Thursday, one Eagles vet claimed that if Owens went after certain players on the air the team better not bring him back because it would be brought to a whole different level.

The future of T.O.

The thing that remains definitive in this soap opera is that the Eagles will absolutely not trade Owens. They also have no intention of releasing him. In fact, after his Thursday night interview the team would rather pay him and sit him than cut their losses. They could, and may, end up doing what the Bucs did with Keyshawn Johnson a few years back. Johnson sat home and got paid and was not allowed back with the team.

The Eagles have absolutely no intention to either trade or release Terrell Owens.

Owens insists he won't change. Unfortunately, this will not lead to a solution as the only way he'll be allowed back into the fold is to show some remorse for his words and actions. Otherwise, he'll have a lot of time to lift weights on his driveway.

If the team gets ornery enough, which may happen, they could even agree to pick up his bonus after this season and another few years of his contract. If he doesn't show up or displays conduct detrimental to the team, then the Eagles could take back much of that bonus and still have him under contract.

As for which teams would make a play for Owens? I can't see anybody but Denver or Redskins owner Dan Snyder making such a move. Snyder, however, would likely not be able to sell Joe Gibbs on it. Atlanta, T.O.'s hopeful destination, is an absolute no. No way, no how, no siree Bob.

It's actually difficult to see any team work a move for him because that would send a message to every player Drew Rosenhaus represents that if they go down such a route then Drew can get them that pot of gold at the end of the colorful soap opera too. No team will be willing to set such a precedent, especially considering how many teams have players that have threatened to sit out this off-season.

What injury waiver?

Owens, on ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, claimed that he signed a secret injury waiver before the Super Bowl releasing the Eagles of all liability. Unless Owens can produce a copy of said waiver it's going to be hard to believe that occurred. I was with several Eagles officials when he made the claim Thursday and they genuinely looked stunned. In fact, one official immediately boasted "Where did he get that one from? What could he possibly be thinking about!"

Owens was supposed to release his doctor and may have signed a waiver letting his own doctor off the hook, as that doctor recommended against Owens playing in the game. However, the Eagles, behind and in front of the scenes, were completely dumbfounded by his claim.

Big chill to Childress

The coaches were none too happy that Owens singled out offensive coordinator Brad Childress on the air. Owens admitted he told the coach not to talk to him anymore after Childress, by saying something like "Hey T.O.," was being confrontational. If that's confrontational than Childress has been in a heck of a lot of brawls during his career. That one was a bit outlandish and Childress isn't the type of coach who Owens really wants to start a beef with.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the idea of Owens possibly getting paid money for doing nothing this season... but I do love the idea of him possibly going down in NFL history as the biggest cry-baby, selfish, punk-ass loser that ever played the game.

I hate the idea of Owens possibly getting paid money for doing nothing this season... but I do love the idea of him possibly going down in NFL history as the biggest cry-baby, selfish, punk-ass loser that ever played the game.

925986[/snapback]

OH no you have it wrong, he will go down in NFL history as the biggest dumb-a$$, selfish, self centered, narcissistic, childish, ignorant, self absorbed, egotistical, conceited, attention wh0re to ever grace any professional sport…….that includes that fool a$$ jester Drew too. I think his credibility has been flushed down the drain as well. I’m willing to bet he loses some of his clients over this.

On a lighter note, my baby boy just projectile pooped all over my hair.

OH no you have it wrong, he will go down in NFL history as the biggest dumb-a$$, selfish, self centered, narcissistic, childish, ignorant, self absorbed, egotistical, conceited, attention wh0re to ever grace any professional sport…….that includes that fool a$$ jester Drew too.  I think his credibility has been flushed down the drain as well.  I’m willing to bet he loses some of his clients over this.

On a lighter note, my baby boy just projectile pooped all over my hair.

925991[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if the suspend him for the year unless he changes his act...

BTW - can we call you sh!!t head :D

As of now, I will not draft him at all this year - he is off my list. Well maybe I would take a chance in the 4th or 5th round, but not any earlier than that. IMO- he is too much risk. He is a walking headcase waiting to get suspended. You'll never know when he could fly off the handle.

As for which teams would make a play for Owens? I can't see anybody but Denver or Redskins owner Dan Snyder making such a move.

925979[/snapback]

:D

We may not have the greatest receivers in the world... but I would personally go down to Mile High and egg some cars if it is even rumored that we might trade for him.

We've already fulfilled our worthless egomaniac head case rost spot: Clarett.

I honestly think that not playing will make Owens madder than not getting paid enough. I would send him home a la Keyshawn. If at the end of the year he's still being ridiculous, let him sit another year.

Vikings fans, would you be intereted? May get you to the Super Bowl. What say ye?

926105[/snapback]

A big ol' "F" no to that idea. We just got rid of one distraction... let's see how we do with a TEAM concept for a while.

Regarding the interview(s) with T.O. and Rosenhaus on ESPN, we all know what a punk Owens has come off as, but I can't imagine that too many owners are going to be happy to do business with Rosenhaus now. Hell, even Lee Steinberg criticized him on Quite Frankly.

Edited by Bill Swerski

A big ol' "F" no to that idea.  We just got rid of one distraction... let's see how we do with a TEAM concept for a while.

926128[/snapback]

Glad to hear it. I often wondered how well you would do without Randy. It seemed like he won several and (maybe) lost several games for you every year. This year may tell the story a little.

We may not have the greatest receivers in the world... but I would personally go down to Mile High and egg some cars if it is even rumored that we might trade for him.

We've already fulfilled our worthless egomaniac head case rost spot: Clarett.

I honestly think that not playing will make Owens madder than not getting paid enough.  I would send him home a la Keyshawn.  If at the end of the year he's still being ridiculous, let him sit another year.

926007[/snapback]

If I hear any of that, I also will drive to the Denver brass HQ and vandalize.

I also hope the Eagles have the stones to follow through on their threat to sit him all year. Maybe if we fans each sent the Eagles $10, they'll do it for sure. :D

Even though it is a waste of money, I would love to see the Eagles pay him and sit him. Especially if they can do it for 2-3 years. As long as they pay him they are in control of his NFL destiny. The Eagles could basically pay him not to play for the rest of his career. I would think that would kill Rosenhaus's business too.

Vikings fans, would you be intereted? May get you to the Super Bowl. What say ye?

926105[/snapback]

I actually wanted the guy when he was trying to get out of SF. I even went to his personal website message board and told him to come play with Moss and get his ring. The guy is an amazing talent on the field. At this point though, he's burned so many bridges that he makes Randy Moss look like the consummate professional. I'd like to see the Eagles make him sit for the year, but even then i doubt he would let it take his ego down a notch.

Hmmm...decided to go check out his site again out of curiousity....

2005-08-12 -- Terrell Owens would like to publically thank his fans

Friday, Aug 12th 2005

Terrell Owens would like to publically thank his fans for their continued, and unwavering support.

Despite all the negative publicity, the fans have remained objective, and optimistic. This positive reinforcement has inspired Terrell to work as hard as he can to improve on last years standout season. He plans to catch more balls than he ever has, and believes his on-the-field heroics will far outweigh any off-field criticism thrown his way. Through his actions, Terrell has continued to defy the negative speculation that has surrounded him, and he has proven himself to be a professional.

Despite all the rumors and innuendo Terrell has shown up to work on time, and from the moment he arrived he has given his all, picking up right where he left off in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately for Terrell, this gung-ho approach led to the aggravation of a nagging groin injury. Realizing that this could have been perceived as a negotiating ploy, Terrell has done everything possible to accelerate his rehab.

Regrettably, recent events have unfolded in a way that may paint a negative picture of Terrell. This situation has mushroomed far beyond what should be considered adequate coverage, and Terrell has become the media’s favorite whipping boy. While this is discouraging, Terrell knows this is part of the business. To the fans he simply says that this was an isolated incident that was not premeditated. Terrell in no way wishes to be a disruption to the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. In fact Terrell has gone out of his way to diffuse the tension by keeping to himself in all non-practice related affairs. During practice and work related situations he has been and will be attentive and responsive; Terrell only asks what every other worker in America asks for, respect and dignity.

Terrell will return to camp and continue to display the work ethic, and on-the-field dedication that has made him one of the world’s most elite athletes. For you the fan, and your continued support in the most difficult of times, Terrell plans to reward you with a season for the ages. Where small men succumb, great men overcome!

Last but not least Terrell would like to extend his appreciation for the continued support from all the members on Terrrellowens.com Message Board.

Terrellowens.com

Regarding the interview(s) with T.O. and Rosenhaus on ESPN, we all know what a punk Owens has come off as, but I can't imagine that too many owners are going to be happy to do business with Rosenhaus now.  Hell, even Lee Steinberg criticized him on Quite Frankly.

926139[/snapback]

And this is the brightest spot of the whole business. Any rookie hooking up with Rosenhaus for the 2006 draft is going to find himself dropping faster than a wh00rs underwear.

In fact Terrell has gone out of his way to diffuse the tension by keeping to himself in all non-practice related affairs.

926837[/snapback]

Except when any camera or microphone is turned on. Then "keeping to himself" is not in his vocabulary.

Terrell only asks what every other worker in America asks for, respect and dignity.

That is about the most amazing sentence I have ever seen.