[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A model B-52!

rocknrobn26

The accident looks very much like the real one in Spokane...Oops.  Go to the second B52 crash.

1254188[/snapback]

This crash...

That is pretty sad. It was preventable...A total breakdown of a military unit.

You can read the case study here.

The pilot broke so many rules, so many times he was never reprimanded or grounded.

I repaired the avionics on both Buffs and F-4's when I was in the USAF. Both great planes that could take battle damage. The B-52's were very vulnerable to SAM's. Very hard plane to get out of, once it's hit. We lost a lot of good men in B-52's. They stopped flying them until we got the F-4EC.... they would fly in ahead of the Buffs and take out the SAM sites, but the N Vietnamese got smart fast.... they wouldn't light up until the Buffs came in. If they don't illuminate (turn the targeting radar on) they were hard to find, and harder to hit. It got to the point where the F-4EC's had to fly WITH the B-52's. Then, if they lit up, the F-4 could take them out, but the B-52 would often get hit in the exchange. The VC knew that they were comitting suicide when they lit up a B-52, but they did it anyway. It was that kind of war.

My favorite plane was an unlikely one.... the KC-135. A modified Boeing 707, it is in my opinion the best jet aircraft ever built. The C-130 comes in a close second, although it's a prop job. The 135 was an airborne refueler, and was an absolute workhorse for this country. Back in the day, the only way we could hit Russia with nukes far into the interior was with aircraft that got fed by 135's along the way. The cold war would have gotten alot hotter without the capability those planes provided.