[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rosenhaus Demands Trade of Volek

spain

Agent pushes for Volek trade

Rosenhaus says Titans backup QB should be NFL starter

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Agent Drew Rosenhaus took a T.O. from the Terrell Owens saga yesterday to stir things up at Titans training camp.

Rosenhaus said he's on a mission to find another job for one of his clients, Titans backup quarterback Billy Volek, possibly by the start of this season.

"There are a lot of back-ups who might be 23 or 24 years old and that is OK for them, but Billy is in the stage of his career right now where he should really be starting somewhere,'' Rosenhaus said.

"When you look around the league and see guys getting injured and you see some of the teams who have starters that are not in Billy's class, it begs the question: Is it in Billy's best interest to be here?''

Rosenhaus spoke with Titans General Manager Floyd Reese and Titans Coach Jeff Fisher yesterday about Volek. He said the team did not give him permission to seek a trade, "but I think if the price is right I am sure they would consider it.''

Fisher didn't sound so sure. Volek, 29, started eight games last season for the injured Steve McNair.

"To me, that wouldn't make sense,'' Fisher said. "You have to have two good quarterbacks to have a chance to win. We have two quarterbacks. Why would you give one away unless you have a chance to get a better one? We are not in the business of developing players to play for other people right now. We are developing players for our future.''

Volek threw for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, his fifth in the NFL. It was his first real taste of starting, and yesterday he admitted it hasn't been easy slipping back into a reserve role.

No matter what happens over the next few weeks, however, he said he's prepared to "be the best backup I can be'' this season.

"I'll never hold out,'' Volek said. "I'll never do what Pacman is doing. I'll never do what T.O. is doing and Drew knows it. I don't know if (Rosenhaus) is really pressing the issue so much right now. He is more or less laying a foundation with Floyd and letting him know what I am thinking about for my future.

"I want to be a starter and right now I am called to be the backup for Steve McNair. Depending on what Steve does this year and years down the road, if he does decide to come back then I want to go somewhere and be the starter.''

Rosenhaus pointed to the situation in Chicago when talking about Volek's future. Bears quarterback Rex Grossman suffered a broken ankle last weekend and will miss 3-4 months. On Sunday, the Bears signed veteran Jeff Blake.

Rosenhaus said Volek may have fit with the Bears, and wants his client in a position to strike if an opportunity arises elsewhere.

McNair, heading into his 11th season, hasn't made any promises about how much longer he'll play. He has said it's year-to-year, but the Titans will need a decision from him by March because of a $50 million option bonus attached to his contract.

The Titans added the bonus last offseason in reworking McNair's contract. To avoid paying it and landing in a major salary cap mess, the Titans could rework the contract again — which would likely include an extension — or release McNair.

Volek turned down offers from other teams last offseason to sign with the Titans through 2008 (an option year). The contract included a no-trade clause, which Volek could waive.

"All due respect to Steve McNair, who is the guy right now, Billy is in a position right now where he is playing with second and third stringers, and Billy is not that kind of guy,'' Rosenhaus said. "It is tough on him. The statistics last year tell you if you give him an entire season as a starter he could be as productive as anyone.

"He is a very humble, classy team-oriented person, but this is a scenario that I am not doing my job if I am not aggressively pushing him into a position where he can play up to his ability. This is a situation where he is out of place here. He is not a back-up.'' •

"He is a very humble, classy team-oriented person...

930201[/snapback]

Too bad this Megan Fox can't say the same thing about himself.

Volek had a very nice few weeks last year. I don't think teams are waiting to break the bank to sign him as their starter just yet. Although this has happened a couple of times in recent history with not so good results.

Scott Mitchell...Rob Johnson...

It would take a monumental offer by another team to get Volek. An offer that no team would sanely make at this point. McNair is obviously the Titans starter and will remain so for the next 3 or 4 years if he doesnt retire or get injured. Volek is a very good, maybe top 5 backup qb in the league. He will remain so as long as McNair is healthy. But the problem is that the Titans have no #3 qb. And I mean nobody! With Mcnairs injury history, they simply cant afford to go into a season with a good #2 like Volek. So, Rosenhaus is simply posturing for the future. this year, Volek will be a Titan.

I know a team that he could play for.  The Titans.  Next year for sure.

930258[/snapback]

Which is why he won't be traded. I didn't know he was 29. He's only three years younger than McNair. Of course, Volek hasn't taken the beating over the past few years that McNair has taken. No way he gets traded.

McNair is obviously the Titans starter and will remain so for the next 3 or 4 years if he doesnt retire or get injured.

930299[/snapback]

Given how close he was to retiring last season, I think that 3 or 4 more years in the league for an injury-prone player with a degenerative sternum is overly-optimistic. I'll give him two and retirement at age 35.

Agreed that the Titans will fight like hell to keep Volek.

Rosenhaus must have a huge balloon payment coming up on his private island or something. He's coming to realize T.O. is not getting a new contract , so he's stirring the pot with his other clients.

Somebody take him out and shoot him.

Stirring the pot is exactly what he should be doing for Volek. While fans may not like it, Volek is at the peak of his earning potential right now and is losing money every day he sits on the bench behind Steve McNair. If he were 24, the situation would be different. His earning time in the league is limited.

Stirring the pot is exactly what he should be doing for Volek.  While fans may not like it, Volek is at the peak of his earning potential right now and is losing money every day he sits on the bench behind Steve McNair.  If he were 24, the situation would be different.  His earning time in the league is limited.

930418[/snapback]

Much as I hate Rosenhaus and all he stands for, I agree with the the good doctor above: he's doing exactly the right thing by his client. IMO, Volek is a much better starting option than re-treads Blake, Frerotte/Feely, Dilfer, et al., and Rosenhaus is only doing his job by trying to find his client a starting spot somewhere. That said, I agree that McNair likely won't be back in Tenn next year and the job could very well be handed to Volek. But he will also be 30, and you can bet that Tenn will be looking to draft their QB of the future in 2006 and Volek's already limited time as a starter -- one, two seasons maybe? -- will immediately become even more limited.

Edited by msaint

Stirring the pot is exactly what he should be doing for Volek.  While fans may not like it, Volek is at the peak of his earning potential right now and is losing money every day he sits on the bench behind Steve McNair.  If he were 24, the situation would be different.  His earning time in the league is limited.

930418[/snapback]

Excellent point.

People seem to forget that it is the agent that works for the player, not the other way around.

People blame Rosenhaus for the TO situation. That's idiotic. He is a contracted employee of Terrell Owens. TO can tell him to go fly a kite whenever he wants. Rosenhaus is simply representing his client's wishes. A client who, in TO's case, is an idiot.

In this case, I think Rosenhaus is doing right by Volek. If I'm Volek, I want someone to stand up and remind everyone that I'm better than A.J. Feeley, Trent Dilfer, whoever's going to start for Chicago, Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Kurt Warner and Joey Harrington and that I should start over any one of these bozos.

Excellent point.

People seem to forget that it is the agent that works for the player, not the other way around.

People blame Rosenhaus for the TO situation.  That's idiotic.  He is a contracted employee of Terrell Owens.  TO can tell him to go fly a kite whenever he wants.  Rosenhaus is simply representing his client's wishes.  A client who, in TO's case, is an idiot.

In this case, I think Rosenhaus is doing right by Volek.  If I'm Volek, I want someone to stand up and remind everyone that I'm better than A.J. Feeley, Trent Dilfer, whoever's going to start for Chicago, Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Kurt Warner and Joey Harrington and that I should start over any one of these bozos.

931314[/snapback]

I don't agree. Rosenhaus is doing far more than just working for his client. TO didn't come up with this plan to disrupt the Eages traing camp on his. He has done it in the past but Rosenhaus has been orchestraing this to get more money. I believe he has instigated this whole ordeal.

As for Volek remember he signed his new contract. He wasn't forced to sign it. He close to do it. Rosenhaus(I believe) orchestrated these media events. Volek could ask for a trade. It doesn't have to be done through the press.

I don't agree. Rosenhaus is doing far more than just working for his client. TO didn't come up with this plan to disrupt the Eages traing camp on his. He has done it in the past but Rosenhaus has been orchestraing this to get more money. I believe he has instigated this whole ordeal.

As for Volek remember he signed his new contract. He wasn't forced to sign it. He close to do it. Rosenhaus(I believe) orchestrated these media events. Volek could ask for a trade. It doesn't have to be done through the press.

931324[/snapback]

Fair enough.

Still, all it takes is one phone call from either player and Rosenhaus is gone.

When I say "people" for get who works for whom, that includes the player himself. If an employee of mine went was quoted in the media saying something on my behalf that I didn't specifically instruct him to say, he'd be gone. If a player sits idly by while his employee spouts off at the mouth, then I can only assume that the employee (agent) is accurately reflecting the intentions of his client.

So, assuming I don't read an article tomorrow morning that says Volek (or TO) has fired Rosenhaus, I have to assume that Rosenhaus is simplly carrying out his client's wishes.

Edited by Vet

People blame Rosenhaus for the TO situation.  That's idiotic.  He is a contracted employee of Terrell Owens.  TO can tell him to go fly a kite whenever he wants.  Rosenhaus is simply representing his client's wishes.  A client who, in TO's case, is an idiot.

931314[/snapback]

Bah! That's like saying Don King & the other leeches didn't have anything to do with the demise of Mike Tyson because Tyson was exactly the type of idiot that TO is degenerating into ... nope. The blame lands in both places -- the mindless egomaniac and the coniving ne'erdowell who is whipping him into a mental frenzy ... Don't let the agent go unscathed in this -- he is the lucifer whispering into the empty head of TO ... :D

931324[/snapback]

The "he signed a contract" crap doesn't cut it when talking about the NFL. Every team cuts guys to get under the salary cap. The reality is that both sides use leverage when they get it.

To me, there is a huge difference between TO and Volek. Nothing has changed since TO signed his contract; everyone knew he was a superstar, he had the opportunity to get a superstar contract, and he signed what he agreed he was worth as a top-3 NFL receiver. Not so with Volek. His deal pays him as a backup QB, when he's proven that he's a mid-tier NFL starter. The $$$ difference there is huge. Plus, Volek's window of opportunity is closing quickly. If he had another 10 years in the NFL, what would it matter waiting another year or two? But he's only got a few years left to play himself. He needs to produce and get paid for producing now, and it's his agent's job to rile the team into paying him what he's worth.