[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little help with strategy please

Whiskey Pimp

Here's the scenario, right now I drew the 1.02 pick in a 12 team,serpentine draft, performance scoring with 1pt receptions, passing td's 4pts and the rest 6. Our league allows to keep max of 1 rookie ptoviding you drafted him last year and he stayed on your roster the entire season. You get to keep that rookie in the same round this year that you drafted him in last year. I am keeping Kevin Jones in the 4th round this year! I may have the opportunity to trade the 2nd slot for the 6th for the entire draft. We start 1,2,3,1,1,1 so here is what I need help with. I already have a 1st round RB in the 4th. Do I:

A) keep the 2nd slot or take the 6th

B ) if I keep the 2nd, do I take SA or Manning...this would either give me 2 stud RB's already or 1 stud and THE stud QB...if I take SA then I probably would take 2 WR's at the 2nd/3rd round turn for a start of 2 stud RB's and potentially 2 "top" WR's

C) if I take Manning in the first then I go RB and WR at the 2nd/3rd round turn for 1 stud QB, 1 stud RB, 1 top WR and a late 2nd, early 3rd tier RB

D) if I have the 6th slot I can take either Manning or a top RB like DD, JLewis, Deuce or maybe even Priest or Edge to go with KJ

Please help and I hope I haven't made anyone dizzy here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

Since you already have a great start with RB, I think I would go ahead and take Manning at 2. I don't think he will be there at 6. Then take RB2 in the 2nd and WR1 in the 3rd. You could end up with a line-up of

Manning

K. Jones

S. Jackson/C. Martin/L. Jordan/B. Westbrook

Walker/Horn/Wayne

Do you get anything in addition to swap to slot # 6?

If you can wait until LT is taken and then make the trade I would do that because you never know.

I am torn and will give you two scenarios since I am not sure which I would take.

1.02 I would go with SA and have two stud RB's before you get to the second round (I am also only saying SA because passing td's are only 4-pts)

1.06 I would target Manning and be happy if Edge, Priest, McGahee fall still giving you those two stud RB's.

With all of the above I would swap to 1.06 and take Manning but I would also ask for an extra mid round pick like a 4th or 5th (unless you are the one asking for the swap)

Hope this helps a little

I think you stick with what you have and take SA. SA will outscore the RB you can get in the 2nd by a lot more then Manning will outscore the likes of Bulger/Favre, IMO.

By going SA, you get a top WR in the 2nd and 3rd, and QBs like Bulger/Favre/Green are making it into the 5th, just look at the mocks.

Figure you can start out with SA, Jones, Holt and Walker plus a Favre/Bulger/Green at WR (or maybe Witten at TE if you are TE mandatory).

Or, you can have Manning, Jones, Rudi, Wayne and Clayton

I like the first option a lot more than the second.

I also would keep #2 and go with Alexander. I believe in establishing a competitive advantage at as many positions as possible. One stud doesn't give you a huge advantage at RB, but two certainly does. Obviously alot can happen before they get back to you at #23, but if recent mock drafts are any indication, you could get a very good receiver at 23, perhaps someone like Javon Walker or even Tory Holt. Then, at 26 you could either solidify your recieving corps, or lock in Gonzo or Gates to give yourself a competitive advantage at 2 positions - RB and TE. This seems like a good year to wait on a QB. Good luck.

Here's what I'd be thinking: Kevin is solid enough that he gives you a shot at swinging for the fences. I wouldn't look at Manning or SA -- I'd look at Priest. Draft him (go down to 6 if you think he'll be there, otherwise stay at 2), take two stud WRs with your 2-3 picks, come back in the 5th and get Larry Johnson, and then get your QB.

It makes me salivate to think about it, actually. I think having the KJ gift in the fourth round makes handcuffing Priest much less painful. And of course having the KC backfield locked up is a very nice thing. You could end up with 35 TDs out of your RB positions. You'd be a mortal lock for the playoffs.

Here's what I'd be thinking: Kevin is solid enough that he gives you a shot at swinging for the fences. I wouldn't look at Manning or SA -- I'd look at Priest. Draft him (go down to 6 if you think he'll be there, otherwise stay at 2), take two stud WRs with your 2-3 picks, come back in the 5th and get Larry Johnson, and then get your QB.

It makes me salivate to think about it, actually. I think having the KJ gift in the fourth round makes handcuffing Priest much less painful. And of course having the KC backfield locked up is a very nice thing. You could end up with 35 TDs out of your RB positions. You'd be a mortal lock for the playoffs.

931091[/snapback]

I totally agree. That is why I said Manning. Holmes is also a great choice. Don't go for a solid team. You have a freebie, go for it all. :D

Great advice so far guys, thanks. A few points to make....we are a TE mandatory league as well and for those that said trade a mid round (4th or 5th) or grabbing a RB3 and TE with my picks after my 2nd/3rd turn remember that my 4th round is already taken care of with KJ. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the #2 pick and going SA or LT as the #1 is possibly considering Manning. Any other opinions, scenarios, thoughts?

"I wouldn't look at Manning or SA -- I'd look at Priest. Draft him (go down to 6 if you think he'll be there, otherwise stay at 2), take two stud WRs with your 2-3 picks, come back in the 5th and get Larry Johnson, and then get your QB."

I disagree with passing up Alexander for Holmes. I'd rather have Alexander, and be able to pickup a decent 3rd RB in the 5th round, as opposed to handcuffing the K.C RB position with those two picks. If you go the Priest/LJ route, you then are facing taking your #3 RB in the 7th round, when you could instead have already gotten your #3 RB in the 5th, and look at TE or #3 WR in the 7th.