[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Forgotten

Outshined

My vote would go to Jim Marshall;

Marshall, the Vikings co-captain throughout his career, started a remarkable 282 straight regular-season games, an NFL record, even taking the field after accidentally shooting himself while cleaning his gun. A defensive end, he racked up 133 sacks, recovered an NFL record 29 fumbles, and gained notoriety for his infamous 66-yard wrong-way run, the longest safety in NFL history. Marshall's No. 70 was recently retired by the Vikings, yet is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

How many games has Favre started? Who else should be in the Hall?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall also played in an era of chop blocks, slaps to the helmet, etc... his starting streak is much more impressive than Favre's (whose is very impressive in this day and age of whinny superstars)

Henry Ellard - one of the premier deep threats for about a solid decade; more deserving than Monk, IMO.

Sterling Sharpe - yeah, it's my personal bugaboo; but over a 7 year career, he tallied 5 1000 yd seasons (about 800 yds rec in his rookie year, which is darn good), 595 catches, 65 tds, led the league in rec 3 times, set the season reception record twice, and was the first man to top 100 catches in a season more than once. As it stands, looking at what Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman managed with Favre (and IMO Sharpe was superior to either of them), 3 or 4 more 80 catch, 1200 yd, 10+ td seasons would have put him way up there on the career lists (figure another 4 yrs, 250 catches, 4500 yds, 35 tds would have him at 850-12600-100).

Art Monk.

935666[/snapback]

100% agreed.

This is from a thread a while back:

I don't understand how Monk isn't in already. He is 5th all time in receptions and 8th all time in yardage. At one point he was the all time receptions leader. The only thing I can see why he wouldn't be in is that he only scored 68 TD's(just over 4 per year av), and that is a weak arguement considering his other accomplishments.
Edited by sunysteelfly76

Oh, and FYI, Jim Marshall not being in the HoF is a joke.

Jeff Van Note - forgotten Iron Man center for the Falcons in the 70s and 80s - is an other good one.

Agree on Marshall being in there.

I would also put forth Ray Guy. How he is not there is beyond me.

935628[/snapback]

I agree with both. Sure Guy was a punter, but what a punter.

He changed games with his kicks.

100% agreed.

I don't understand how Monk isn't in already. He is 5th all time in receptions and 8th all time in yardage. At one point he was the all time receptions leader. The only thing I can see why he wouldn't be in is that he only scored 68 TD's(just over 4 per year av), and that i

935790[/snapback]

Well, I hear things from a source in Washington that the MAIN reason Monk isn't in is that Peter King has some sort of grudge against him, and, as opposed to pumping him up (like Tom Silverstein, I believe, did to get James Lofton in - reports were his presentation was so sterling that it DID actually sway some voters to Lofton's side) he spends his time blocking his way in. Which would make me go into my "Peter King is a roach" rant, but that's for another day.

Really, you simply CANNOT argue with his # of receptions; it's the linchpin of his candidacy. However, his low td and ypc #s trouble me somewhat - I've heard his career described as "800 8 yd hitches" and it sort of fits with where his totals are. Also, you could make the argument that there were years he was barely the 3rd best WR on his TEAM, much less in the league. I don't know that Washington opponents went in going "man, we GOTTA stop Monk".

That said, if he gets in after Ellard but before Irvin, I wouldn't quibble. I think he's a bit of a bubble candidate, but if he got the votes, I'd applaud it - he's a class guy and played the game right; I just don't necessarily view him as "the best of the best."

As a Jets fan, I have to put in a favorable word for my man Joe Klecko.

Went from unknown unrecruited Temple grad to 4 time pro-bowler.

The first player to make the probowl at THREE different positions - Defensive End, Tackle and Nose Tackle.

As a defensive end, he recorded 20.5 sacks in 1981 and was almost unanimously named NFL player of the year.

He then moved over to defensive tackle and was named to the Pro Bowl at that position in 1983 and 1984.

He was the dominant defensive lineman of his era.

"Some people call it the ‘bull rush,’" said former Seattle center Blair Bush. "We caled it ‘The Klecko Skate’ because when he hit you, it looked like you were rolling backwards on skates."

Klecko dominated vs. the run, and took up two or three offensive linemen so that Mark Gastineau could get sacks.

And, he played a truck driver in "Smokey and the Bandit II".

Plus, he has managed to make it this far in life without shooting himself with a shotgun OR running the wrong way with the ball.

Harry Carson, though he hasn't helped is cause by speakign down about the Hall in recent years.

And my other big ones have already been mentioned. How is Art Monk not in the Hall of Fame? That's a crime, as is Jim Marshall being excluded (I refuse to believe that Sport's authorities think of the wrong-way TD play when they consider him, they can't be that stupid).

Joe Klecko, I always wonder if I think he should be in becuase he was great or if it's because I grew up in the NY area who may have built him up to be more than he was. Regardless, I do think he deserves to be in.

Ray Guy. Punter yes, but he is the greatest punter of all time with amazing, amazing stats. If they are going to exlude him for the simple reason he is a punter, well, they should just eliminate that position out of the game then (I'm being facetious).

Michael Irvin was the driving force behind the three super bowl titles.

936548[/snapback]

:D ...riiiiiiiiight.....

If Dallas' 3 SB teams were a nice home-cooked dinner, Emmitt was the steak, Aikman was the garlic-mashed potatoes, and Irvin was maybe the creamed corn.

Ken Anderson

936926[/snapback]

:D ....well, he DOES have #s comparable to Aikman (who's considered a lock), which works in his favor in two ways:

- he played a good chunk of his career in an era FAR less conducive to passing;

- he tallied those yards without an elite running game to take the pressure off; not to mention he lacked a Pro Bowl type WR a la Irvin (or even a Novacek) for the bulk of his career as well.

Matt :D Suhey

Mike :D Hartenstine

Jimbo :D Covert

Mark :D Bortz

Tom :D Thayer

Jay :D Hilgenburg

Wilbur :D Marshall

Gary :D Fencik

Dave :D Duerson

Otis :yay: Wilson

Steve :yay: McMichael

938224[/snapback]

I think the question referred to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I don't know much about this topic but of the top of my head, aplhabetically:

Troy Aikman

Larry Allen

George Andrie

Cornell Green

Cliff Harris

Bob Hayes

Calvin Hill

Chuck Howley

Michael Irvin

Lee Roy Jordan

Bob Lily