[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Forgotten

Outshined

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about this topic but of the top of my head, aplhabetically:

Troy Aikman

Larry Allen

George Andrie

Cornell Green

Cliff Harris

Bob Hayes

Calvin Hill

Chuck Howley

Michael Irvin

Lee Roy Jordan

Bob Lily

Harvey Martin

Don Meredith

John Nilan

Jay Novacek

Don Perkins

Emmitt Smith

Mark Stepnoski

Everson Walls

Darren Woodson

938236[/snapback]

Lilly is already in.

Add:

Duane Thomas

Drew Pearson

Ed "Too Tall" Jones

:D ...riiiiiiiiight.....

If Dallas' 3 SB teams were a nice home-cooked dinner, Emmitt was the steak, Aikman was the garlic-mashed potatoes, and Irvin was maybe the creamed corn.

938202[/snapback]

If you look at quotes from Aikman and Smith they always credit Irvin as the guy who made that team go. He was the motivating factor on the field and in the locker room. He dosen't get the respect he deserves because of the off the field issues.

I don't know much about this topic but of the top of my head, aplhabetically:

Troy Aikman

Larry Allen

Cliff Harris

Bob Hayes

Calvin Hill

Chuck Howley

Michael Irvin

Lee Roy Jordan

Harvey Martin

Don Meredith

Jay Novacek

Don Perkins

Mark Stepnoski

Everson Walls

Darren Woodson

938236[/snapback]

You might want to take your homer shades off; Aikman, Allen, Smith, and Irvin WILL be in when they are eligible (whether or not I think they deserve it is moot, they're locks); Woodson is borderline, Walls certainly has the numbers to merit it, Hayes certainly had the impact on the game to merit it. Guys like Calvin Hill, Cliff Harris, Don Perkins, Jay Novacek, and Duane Thomas just aren't HoF caliber - they were fine players for good teams, and no doubt occupy a warm place in many Cowboy fan's hearts, but just don't have the careers to merit inclusion. Howley, Jordan, and Martin I only vaguely recall as being regarded highly at their positions while they played; I'd assume one or two of those 3 should be in.

I took the liberty of removing those players I've never even heard of - not that I'm Joe Football Encyclopedia, but I'm pretty confident that if I've never heard of the guy, he isn't a Hall of Famer. Though the convincing arguments you presented for your short list are very compelling.

Lilly is already in.

Add:

Duane Thomas

Drew Pearson

Ed "Too Tall" Jones

938537[/snapback]

Duane Thomas - Hall of Fame non-conformist, not a Hall of Fame player.

Pearson and Jones probably should be in. Jones for sure.

I think the Ray Guy suggestion went under appreciated.  That Guy deserves to be in.

938833[/snapback]

I'll give you Ray Guy, you give me Steve Tasker. Done deal.

940442[/snapback]

don't forget Bob Hayes, Rayfield Wright, and Micheal Irvin.

4000 hits gets you in.  :D

As for football, I'll pile on the on the Jim Marshall bandwagon, but think the Ray Guy suggestion went under appreciated.  That Guy deserves to be in.

938833[/snapback]

Totally Pete Rose, and possible Bert Blyleven, 60 shutouts on crappy teams. Lots of complete games, and 14th on strikeouts all-time

don't forget Bob Hayes, Rayfield Wright, and Micheal Irvin.

940658[/snapback]

Hayes and Irvin were discussed in the previous post - it's long and your lips might get tired, I know.

Rayfield Wright...quick look shows 6 straight Pro Bowls. Certainly seems to deserve a discussion.

George Andrie

Cornell Green

John Nilan

938236[/snapback]

I've gotta give a big "my bad" on dismissing these guys before - the 18 Pro Bowls between them is pretty impressive. :D

Rayfield Wright...quick look shows 6 straight Pro Bowls. Certainly seems to deserve a discussion.

940663[/snapback]

One of two veterans players among the 13 finalists this year, FYI.

940442[/snapback]

I was hoping for someone to catch the Thomas addition ... LOL ... he did WHAT??? TO is going now decades ago. Of course he didn't even talk to the media something TO could never do.

While I'm thinking of it, Dan freakin' Reeves. 201 career wins, 4 SB appearances.

953138[/snapback]

Pretty impressive career. He played for 8 years as runningback to, but did not put up big numbers. He might get in on his 1st try - whenever that is.

Well...since Elway got inducted I'm willing to open the floodgates for some more Broncos.

Randy Gradishar

Steve Atwater

Shannon Sharpe

Pretty sure that Atwater and Sharpe will get in eventually, Gradishar just doesn't have the popularity. I doubt he'll even see a Vet pick in the near future.

Oh...and Dan Reeves, you could make a case for him, except for the fact that he tried to run Elway out of town with his Tommy Maddox pick back in the day. Elway was supposedly washed up and Maddox was gonna be the future...of the XFL.

Nice job. Now go back to pimpin' heart meds ya moron.

Oh...and Dan Reeves, you could make a case for him, except for the fact that he tried to run Elway out of town with his Tommy Maddox pick back in the day.  Elway was supposedly washed up and Maddox was gonna be the future...of the XFL.

953869[/snapback]

I DID make a case for him - 201 wins are more than HoFers Levy, Stram, Gibbs, Lombardi, Walsh, and Bud Grant - not to mention Parcells and probable HoF coach Vermeil (though you can admittedly question his winning pct of 53%; though that was dragged down during NY and Atl rebuildings). 4 SB appearances are more than Stram, Lombardi, and Walsh and tie him for 2nd place with Bud Grant, Chuck Noll, and Marv Levy.

That is rarified air, whether or not he had a personality clash with Elway.

I DID make a case for him - 201 wins are more than HoFers Levy, Stram, Gibbs, Lombardi, Walsh, and Bud Grant - not to mention Parcells and probable HoF coach Vermeil (though you can admittedly question his winning pct of 53%; though that was dragged down during NY and Atl rebuildings). 4 SB appearances are more than Stram, Lombardi, and Walsh and tie him for 2nd place with Bud Grant, Chuck Noll, and Marv Levy.

That is rarified air, whether or not he had a personality clash with Elway.

955545[/snapback]

You left Gibbs out of the tie for 2d most SB appearances at 4, and Reeves does not compare with Gibbs because Gibbs winning percentage is 65% plus. Gibbs made a Super Bowl on average every third year he coached. Reeves was good but mostly just lasted a long long time.

Reeves is the Art Monk of Coaches--lots of 8 yard hitches and very workmanlike and plodding. A wise man explained to me thats not enough to get in the Hall.