[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Forgotten

Outshined

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...since Elway got inducted I'm willing to open the floodgates for some more Broncos.

Randy Gradishar

Steve Atwater

Shannon Sharpe

Pretty sure that Atwater and Sharpe will get in eventually, Gradishar just doesn't have the popularity.  I doubt he'll even see a Vet pick in the near future.

Oh...and Dan Reeves, you could make a case for him, except for the fact that he tried to run Elway out of town with his Tommy Maddox pick back in the day.  Elway was supposedly washed up and Maddox was gonna be the future...of the XFL.

Nice job.  Now go back to pimpin' heart meds ya moron.

953869[/snapback]

Come on, what about Karl Mecklenburg? Never liked that guy, but he was a hell of a player. Didn't he make the Pro Bowl like 8 years in a row?

You left Gibbs out of the tie for 2d most SB appearances at 4, and Reeves does not compare with Gibbs because Gibbs winning percentage is 65% plus. Gibbs made a Super Bowl on average every third year he coached. Reeves was good but mostly just lasted a long long time.

My bad on overlooking Gibbs; of course, that 65% win pct and SB every 3rd year looks like it's gonna take a bit of a hit.... :D

Reeves is the Art Monk of Coaches--lots of 8 yard hitches and very workmanlike and plodding. A wise man explained to me thats not enough to get in the Hall.

956242[/snapback]

I'm actually surprised that Monk isn't ALREADY in the Hall; but I'd hazard that a coach lasting a long time is half the battle, really. 23 seasons as head coach is up there at 5th behind Papa Bear, Big Daddy Don, Earl Lambeau, and the Hat. You don't last 23 years without doing something right. And Reeve's ratio of a SB/title game every 6th year is up there with Noll (exactly the same as Noll's, for that matter), Landry, Lambeau, and not much below Shula's.

Come on, what about Karl Mecklenburg?  Never liked that guy, but he was a hell of a player.  Didn't he make the Pro Bowl like 8 years in a row?

956382[/snapback]

Meck doesn't have the sexy stats, but he, Dennis Smith, and Atwater should all be considered at some point.

My bad on overlooking Gibbs; of course, that 65% win pct and SB every 3rd year looks like it's gonna take a bit of a hit.... :D

957915[/snapback]

Yer vile.....

I actually think Reeves should be in also. But Monk definetely should go in before an Irvin or an Ellard. He was a major part of a couple SB winning teams and led the league in receptions for a while. He was a badass player who wasnt flashy but showed up and did it right and consistently for a long time.

Monk definetely should go in before an Irvin or an Ellard. He was a major part of a couple SB winning teams and led the league in receptions for a while. He was a badass player who wasnt flashy but showed up and did it right and consistently for a long time.

957919[/snapback]

It's tough to argue with Monk's career #s, but just looking over his career (and disregarding titles, which I do as a rule in the case of players - though since you mention it, he only had one above-average SB performance), it just looks to me that he was more "consistently solid" than "consistently great"; quibbling, perhaps...still, I don't deny he's a class act who should get his day in Canton eventually. I guess I'd just classify him as "not on the first ballot" but by now his entry is LONG overdue.

I really think Pete Rose should be in the HOF - you look at his stats and he's the leader or top 10 in a lot of statistical categories. Not to mention the World Series rings he has! :D

So what if he bet on baseball. :D

Oh you meant the Football HOF in Canton! :D

Main point many miss here is HoF means Hall of Fame and not Hall of Reward, Hall of Stats or Hall of Endurance.

true, and very much granted Art Monk was a helluva player, contributed to his team always, decided tons of games with his catches, but he made a name out of his stats and similar.

same with marshall.

same with ellard.

same with *fill a name in here*.

"Fame" means famous, and famous are wins, especially AFL/NFL and later on superbowl wins, maybe playoff wins.

a secondary ticket to that could be special feats like some iron man record, top 10 passing yards/receiving yards/rushing yards, whatever.

what i am trying to say is that HoF never will be "fair", there are and have to be other honors (retiring numbers for example) to come with such achievements like many mentioned here.

and pete rose will never be inducted, but thats another story :D

Meck doesn't have the sexy stats, but he, Dennis Smith, and Atwater should all be considered at some point.

957917[/snapback]

Karl Mecklenberg was a 12th round pick, played 12 years and went to 6 Pro Bowls and 3 Super Bowls. He was, I believe, also named to some All-80s defensive team, back in the day.

Harry Carson played in 9 pro bowls in 13 seasons. That's pretty darn good.

• 1 year later...

Micheal Vick should be in...I don't even have to explain. Yea yea, he's not eligible yet, but they will change the HoF rules for him to go in next year.

He's the most exciting HoF nominee in the history of the game! They can put his bust in the wing with all the kickers and punters who ever made it in, since they probably couldn't hit an open receiver either.

For someone who really deserves to be in and was forgotten:

Art Monk :D

Maybe we should bump this each year at about this time. I've got 1 less to whine about.

Class of 2007:

Gene Hickerson

Michael Irvin

Bruce Matthews

Charlie Sanders

Thurman Thomas

Roger Wehrli

:D

I've been waiting on Hickerson too :D

Anyone but Michael Irvin.

Irvin is getting in because he played for the Cowboys and was fortunate enough to be on a team that won 3 SBs.

As far as being one of the truly great WRs in NFL history - nah, sorry.