[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favorite Sci-Fi Movie

devilwoman

Aliens - the first has great atmosphere and was brilliant; I prefer this one - faster paced, tons more action, great characters (Bill Paxton's Hudson is just a fount of one-line glory)

Fifth Element - dunno if I'd ever mistake it for a "great" film, but it's good, cheesy fun. Love Besson's production design

Gattaca - Euro-:geek: Ethan Hawke and object of Chavez' man-crush Jude Law star in probably the best true sf flick to come out in the past 10 or 15 years

Primer - low-budget, underground flick with no special effects, but great mindf*ck

Mars Attacks! - I have NO idea why the overheated and trite Independence Day gets more love than this unbelievably hilarious Tim Burton flick released at the same time.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird Science :D

940425[/snapback]

:D More classic Paxton - "You guys hungover? How'd you like a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

...or at the bar with the brothers and la raza - "what's a woman like this doing with two...muchachos like you?" "She likes muchachos."

4)  Dune (the David Lynch 1984 version... The SciFi Channel showed a directors cut of this movie years ago, but I haven't seen it since... wish I could find it somewhere)

937133[/snapback]

Holy coincidence Batman! The SciFi channel ran this version LAST NIGHT... I missed the first 30 minutes or so, but I'm so glad I caught most of it. It's about twice as long as the theater version (which gives a ton more relevant detail) and has a different narrator (I think they use the Fremon leader instead of the Emperor's daughter to narrate). Now if I could just find it on DVD somewhere!!!

Aliens - the first has great atmosphere and was brilliant; I prefer this one - faster paced, tons more action, great characters (Bill Paxton's Hudson is just a fount of one-line glory)

Mars Attacks! - I have NO idea why the overheated and trite Independence Day gets more love than this unbelievably hilarious Tim Burton flick released at the same time.

940418[/snapback]

Very good! "We come in peace! We come in peace!" :D

:D More classic Paxton - "You guys hungover? How'd you like a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

...or at the bar with the brothers and la raza - "what's a woman like this doing with two...muchachos like you?" "She likes muchachos."

940461[/snapback]

Kelly Lebrock (sp) I could watch her all day.

Silent Running...never heard of that one...is it new?

937149[/snapback]

It's not new. Set on a spaceship carrying the last vegetation from Earth, it's more cerebral than action, but a great film. Bruce Dern starred, I think.

Not my all time favorite, but since it has not been mentioned:

"Outland"

...made in the 70s, Sean Connery & Peter Boyle ... it's really a western set in the future (not that unusual for sci-fi, I guess) but it holds up well over time.

...speaking of which...I really consider The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max II) to be utterly brilliant; IMO falls more under straight action than sf, though - the science isn't really relevant. Heck, it's pretty much a western or Kurosawa-type thing (The Lone Samurai?) plot-wise.

Not my all time favorite, but since it has not been mentioned:

"Outland"

...made in the 70s, Sean Connery & Peter Boyle ... it's really a western set in the future (not that unusual for sci-fi, I guess) but it holds up well over time.

940876[/snapback]

Talking of Sean Connery, Zardoz, or Z, was really out of left field. It was loosely based on the Jerry Cornelius books of Michael Moorcock, I think.

940418[/snapback]

Great call. Has to be one of the five funniest movies of all time.

BTW, it was darn lucky for Jeff Goldblum and the rest of us in Independence Day that the aliens used 3.5" floppy drives in their computers too. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Another movie that wasn't mentioned was "Logans Run"...Pretty good flick...

Another Arnold flick that I liked was the Running man, but I'm not sure it fits in the Sci-Fi arena...

941825[/snapback]

2 good ones. Logan's was on Cable 2 weeks ago. :D

Running Man qualifies.

Another movie that wasn't mentioned was "Logans Run"...Pretty good flick...

941825[/snapback]

"Renew! Renew! Renew! Renew!"

FYI, I've always found that a copy of Logan's Run makes a GREAT 30th birthday present. Half the time I'm the only one who gets the joke, but as in most cases, I do stuff mainly to amuse myself anyway. Besides, who couldn't love a film with the babe-a-licious Jenny Agutter running around in a sliver-lame miniskirt? I think she gets wet at some point as well..... :D

FYI, I've always found that a copy of Logan's Run makes a GREAT 30th birthday present. Half the time I'm the only one who gets the joke, but as in most cases, I do stuff mainly to amuse myself anyway. Besides, who couldn't love a film with the babe-a-licious Jenny Agutter running around in a sliver-lame miniskirt? I think she gets wet at some point as well..... :D

942632[/snapback]

Nothing to do with sci-fi, but wasn't she in Walkabout, set in Australia, nekkid? :D:D

942632[/snapback]

Did you give one to Mel? :D

Did you give one to Mel? :D

942779[/snapback]

:doah:

Her gifts were a tuneup on a mountain bike our friends gave to us, and that party. I dropped about one large on it and recouped maybe 800. Don't tell her that, though.

:doah:

Her gifts were a tuneup on a mountain bike our friends gave to us, and that party. I dropped about one large on it and recouped maybe 800. Don't tell her that, though.

942825[/snapback]

My lips are sealed........................for a price! :D:D