[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's the best IDP?

There's a small debate going on in the NFL forum over Julius Peppers & who the best defensive player in the league. Just wondering what your opinions are. Who is the best IDP in the league both fantasy & NFL?

To me when thinking relative to position rather than just points I'd have to agree. Peppers is the best in the league. He racks up the tackles, puts up gaudy sack numbers and causes multiple turnovers including INTs. Basically he puts up LB numbers at a typically low scoring inconsistant position and he's still getting better.

In the NFL I'd have to go with Ray Lewis although he's falling quickly. Right now he's still the best MLB in the league & causes teams more headaches than anyone in the league.

Good question. From a purely fantasy perspective, I'd have to say Rodney Harrison is the uber-stud. He is so far ahead of everybody else at his position, it's unbelievable. In my mind, that's the ultimate measure of a fantasy player.

In terms of a game-changing defender who flat-out scares offensive coordinators, I'd have to go with the reigning defensive player of the year -- Ed Reed. He's the only player who QBs have to look at before EVERY snap. Is he blitzing? Is he stuffing the run? Is he playing deep zone? Shallow zone? Man-to-man? He can do it all -- and he can take any turnover to the house. The kinds of plays he makes are the plays that simply demoralize the opposing offense and often make the difference between a win and a loss.

If you start DT's specifically as opposed to generic D-linemen, then Kevin Williams is also a strong candidate based upon VBD.

941534[/snapback]

and even if you don't have to start a DT..... williams has outscored most DE's. :D I own him is 3 leagues and ride him like a stallion.

In a DT league he is 2nd to none. :D

But I think Peppers or grant are the most valuable IDPs as they can double even the #10 DL in scoring this yr, where the top 10 LBs are only a handful of pts per week different.  When you think of the DL position, think of TEs on offense, few difference makers, and if you dont get one of them, try and get 2 average ones to rotate from week to week.

941514[/snapback]

Very valid point :D

Peppers, based on relative value, has to be the "best" IDP. Sacks, creating TOs and tackles. Other potential stud DEs like Jason Taylor get doubleteamed and are rendered average. Peppers' line-mates are also very good... and Peppers benefits. Plus, he's a freak.

We'll see what Fat Pat Williams does to Kevin's numbers.  Personally I think the sack total may go up by 2 and the tackles may go down by 10.  Thus Williams is still a stud, but maybe not as dominate as the last 2 seasons.

941667[/snapback]

:D In my league, that would mean that he'd drop only 2/135 of his production from last year . . .