[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why Randy won't end up #1 Fantasy WR

pedroz13

Let me start out by saying I still love Randy Moss even though he's not on my beloved Vikings team. I am glad he's in the AFC so I can still cheer for him and MN won't have to see him every year.

Am I the only one who is worried about taking him as the #1 WR this year? WRs who move to new teams generally don't succeed up to expectations the first year. Yes, T.O./McNabb is the most recent exception. But Kerry Collins is no McNabb. McNabb brought Philly to three straight NFC Championship games, he was very comfortable with the system, coach, everything. It was clear he needed a top WR to make it all come together. And it did. But Kerry Collins is still adjusting to Norv Turner (who I don't believe will be a success in Oakland), the offense, and new players. I think Moss will have a good year, don't get me wrong....but with Porter, Gabriel, Curry there are talented WRs to throw to. Moss will take up a lot of coverage (obviously) so these guys will definitely benefit.

Daunte was able to get the ball to Moss consistently. Even when he was in coverage, Daunte was able to find him. Collins, who knows. Lets face it, Moss hasn't had a solid #2 WR since Carter. Now, Porter is there. Bottom line, I see Moss in the top 5, but I don't think I'm taking him as the #1 WR off the board.

WRs who move to new teams generally don't succeed up to expectations the first year.

944029[/snapback]

Randy Moss isn't exactly the standard WR.

Your points/concerns are valid, but the bottom line is that Moss is a great player and will be successful if he's healthy. #1 WR? Maybe not exactly, but he'll be in the top 3.

The Raiders didn't bring Randy Moss to Oakland so they could throw to Porter, Garbiel and Curry. Randy Moss is and will be the focal point of that offense. I agree that he will not put up numbers like in Minnesota, because CPep is a mcuh better QB, and much more accurate passer than Collins. However, a lot of Moss' ability is pure talent. Catching uncatchable balls, beating guys and getting open, etc. You'll still see all that in Oakland. I don't have him top 3, I have him top 5. I would take CJ, Holt, and TO (there's a question mark there obviously) ahead of him.

I was begining to wonder if I was the only one who felt this way. In my league WR's get reception points and 1/10 yards and of course TD points. When you look at the #'s there is only a 32 pt lose from top 3 avg and 4-10 avg. In short picking a good WR is important, but not worth giving up something else. Make sure you cover RB and QB before you spend a pick ona top WR because you are only gaining a few points on the field.

I still think Moss will be the #1 fantasy WR, but the margin between him, and CJ/Holt will not be huge by any means. I think CJ and Holt are the unquestioned #2 and #3 fantasy WRs, because Harrison has too much competition for touches, and Owens doesn't seem to be focused this year.

In leagues where you get reception points, CJ and Holt should be the first WRs off the board. Moss is the best WR in the league, but CJ and Holt are far more likely to get 100 catches this season than Moss or TO. I'd even put Harrison third ahead of Moss; I think he has a better shot at 100 receptions this year than Randy.